Author Topic: .256WM considered a wildcat now?....  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Del

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.256WM considered a wildcat now?....
« on: March 09, 2003, 12:48:14 PM »
I know the .256 Win. Mag. was once a factory loaded round, but that was a long time ago, so I think it would qualify as a wildcat now!?

Recently I picked up a used T/C Contender 10" Octagon .256 Win. Mag. barrel w/a 1.5X Bushnell Lobo scope. Now I'm trying to gather reloading components and information from .256 WM owners past & present.  

I received some great articles from a person on this site, and finally got a 2-die reloading set in the mail a couple days ago.  So, I'm trying to locate: 1)set of .357 to .256 forming dies or .30 Mauser die.  2) .256 brass. 3)information on what bullets have worked for you "in the field".  4)recommendations on a couple of your favorite powders for this round.  5)ANY tips, hints, or reloading recipies you'd be willing to share!

I'm willing to buy or trade for .256 stuff you might have!

Thank you, Del
I LOVE TO HUNT!
Especially with a Handgun!!

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 07:19:22 PM »
Del, since the 256 was once a factory round, it's not a wildcat, but would be considered obsolete, since the majar ammo companies no longer load ammo or make brass. From your post you seem to know that brass is very easy to form from 357 mag cases.
The way I use the 256 is a little different then most people. Most people use a jacketed bullet and try for as much velocity they can get, which will produce excellent performance. But that is not what I need. I'll explain. When I hunt ground hogs, I use a rifle with a bipod or a 6mm TCU contender with a rifle scope, and I use a camera tripod with a cradle on it to rest the gun. Both work great, but are slow to get into action. I carry a second contender, with open sights, in a belt holster. When my partner and I are walking to our shooting spots, we often jump ground hogs along field edges, when rounding corners, or dips in fields. Most of the time the range is less then 50 yds.. Many times we are spoted by the ground hogs, and have little time for a shot before the hog dives. I don't have time to set up the rifle or the 14" contender, so the open sighted 10" barrel is drawn from the holster. I tried a 22 LR but it wasn't powerfull enough. I've tried all the top ammo, and with chest cavity shots, it was about a 50/50 chance that the ground hog would be stopped or run to the hole. (I havn't had a chance to try the new CCI Velocitor) The 22 Hornet is too loud, sometimes the action is so fast that I don't always have time to get the headphones on. I don't need more hearing damage then I already have.
Enter the 256. I did some research and the 256 seemed like a good choice. I use a cast bullet, Lyman #257420, cast of wheel weights + 2% tin. I hollow point them in my lathe, they weigh 65 grs.. 8.0 gr. of IMR 4756 and Rem. 7 1/2 primer completes the load. The velocity from the 10" barrel is 1875 fps.. With an Aimpoint on the barrel, the accuracy was about an inch at 75 yds.. I never put a rifle scope on this barrel to see just how accurate this load is is, but it seems very accurate. When I had the Aimpoint on the barrel, I once put 5 out of 7 shots on a ground hog, that was out in a plowed field, at 300 yds.. The bullets were out of power at that range, but the accuracy was there. At 200 yds. the killing power is good, but usually I don't shoot over a 100 yds. with open sights. Under a 100 yds. the killing power is very good. I shoot about 75 ground hogs with it every season. The muzzle blast is not much louder the then a 22LR.  8)

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
.256 Win
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 04:50:13 AM »
Del, I used to own and shoot a 10" bull T/C in .256 and I wish I'd never sold the barrel.
 You can get brass here:
http://www.turngray.com/formed.html
http://www.owlnet.com/quality/256win.htm
http://www.users.bigpond.com/ammodump/used.html

And form dies here:
http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/caseformdies.html

I used to load the 87 grain bullets using 4227, but the 75 grains have a little better velocity.

If you really want to get down and dirty and stone deaf, Clymer makes a reamer for the .25 X .357 MAX.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Del

• Avid Poster
.256 WM info....
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 06:05:18 AM »
Joe Kool & Smokinjoe,
Thank you for the great information on the .256 Win. Mag.  I was just joking about it being a wildcat, but info. & components are harder to find then a lot of wildcats out there!

Joe Kool, your .256 set up sounds pretty neat & effective!  Have you tried shooting your cast then hollow pointed bullets into any media or water jugs to see if they expand at all?  Is that bullet gas checked?  Do you get much leading?  To be honest I'm leaning towards a 75 grn HP or v-max bullet, but may get some cast bullets to try - they may be so accurate I'll have to use them!!

Smokinjoe, thank you for finding & posting the great links to .256 components!  I had already called RCBS, they wanted $201 for a set of forming dies & $119. for standard 2 die set, before shipping & handling!  I believe I've found a guy that has a .256 and is about to form a bunch of brass, he said he'll make some for me for pretty cheap, I hope that works out.  If not I'll be using one of the links you posted!  Did you ever get a chance to use your .256 on critters in the field, any info. on that would be very good to hear!

Thanks again for the information & help!!
Good Hunting, Del
I LOVE TO HUNT!

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 02:13:01 PM »
Del, you don't need to spend big money on form dies, I bought a Lyman 30 Mauser die new for less then $20. The case is a little loose in the die, at the base but it seems to be no problem. Run the case into the 30 Mauser die, then into the 256 fl die, and you got a 256 case. The case forms so well, I don't even need to fire form. I buy bulk Winchester brass cases, not nickel plated. The nickel will wear the sizing die out faster. I would watch ebay for dies, RCBS must have changed the class on the dies, I paid $46 when I bought mine. I just checked the Graf + Son catalog, they have Redding dies for $37.39.
I get no leading at all. I use LBT soft blue lube.  Also, IMR 4756 burns very  clean in the 256. I tested the bullets in wet newpaper The alloy is wheel weights + 2% tin. The  bullet without a hollow point will look like a quarter when recovered and retains almost 100% of it's weight. But it doesn't kill grounds hogs a well as with a hollow point. I hollow the bullet to just short of the lube groove, on impact the nose shatters off, and the base will usaully penetrate through the ground hog. Once in a while I'll recover a base under the hide, but not very often. What do you plan on shooting in Alaska with the 256?  8)

Offline Del

• Avid Poster
.256 targets.....
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 03:18:11 PM »
Joe Kool,
The target animals in Alaska that I plan on using the .256 for is mainly Marmots & Coyotes.  I've got a .223 / 12" Hunter barrel w/a 2X6 Bushnell and bipod, the .256 was picked up for something that I hope to be able to shoot off hand better then my .223 and more accurately then a .357 revolver.   Something to throw in the truck when I head on road trips or maybe take along when I'm out Ptarmigan / Rabbit hunting w/my .22lr.

I know, kind of a real nitch gun, but I've always been interested in the .256 for some reason!?  And I couldn't pass up the deal on the barrel / scope combo.  I hope to have this up and running at least by May, that's when all the Marmots start popping out! :wink:

Thanks for the info.
Talk to you later, Del
I LOVE TO HUNT!

Offline Smokin Joe

>256 Win
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2003, 05:13:12 AM »
Re: performance on animals; it will make squirrel vapor every time from 100-200 yds with the 75 gn HP.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Johnly

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .256WM considered a wildcat now?....
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 06:57:30 AM »
:D  :D

Del,

I use 14.0 gr. of H4227 pushing a 75 gr. V-Max bullet in my 10" contender Bull barrel. It's not a hot load, but shoots quite well.  If you need some unfired/formed brass, I have a bunch and can send you some your way.
John in Oregon

Offline HHI 812

• Contributor
As far as old cartridges, called RCBS for a 45 Auto Rim...
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 08:20:53 AM »
seating crimp roll die, and they said that one die is $60!!!!!! He said although not a wildcat, no longer on their regular list, and on the obsolete list!

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 06:44:10 PM »
HHI 812, the 45 Auto Rim and the 45 ACP are exactly the same cartridge, except the Auto Rim has a rim. You can load the Auto Rim with the ACP dies and the ACP with the Auto Rim dies. You just need the correct shell holder. Just use a 45 ACP  seating die. Every 45 ACP seating die I've ever seen has a roll crimp in it. It would not bother me that my seating die was stamped 45 ACP insteatd a 45 Auto Rim.  A lot cheaper then $60.  8)

Offline HHI 812

• Contributor
Joe-the die set I have, is a Dillon, and has a taper crimp
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 05:45:28 AM »
I shot mostly autos, so wanted a taper crimp. When I searched for the .45 ACP dies, they were all roll crimp, so picked up the Dillon because it had the taper crimp, and the price was a steal. Now I'm shooting AR too, want a roll crimp for my 255 SWC load. I know they use to be cheap, but that last call to RCBS surprised me! I guess I'll just have to look for an old set at the next show, where I know I always see them for like $10 for the whole set. I have two separate shell plates for my 550B Dillon, for the ACP and AR. :D

Offline Joe Kool

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 09:05:37 PM »
HHI 812, why not buy just a 45 ACP seater die with the roll crimp. I see 45 ACP seaters at gun shows fairly often. Even if you have to buy a complete, used of 45ACP dies for $20, it's better then paying $60.  I checked a box of mismatched dies I have, I have two 45ACP sizing dies but no seater dies. I use a set of 45ACP, RCBS dies that are about 20 yrs. old, and the seater has a roll crimp. I did some research and found that many of the die makers are now putting taper crimps in the 45ACP seating dies. So if you buy a new 45ACP seater, you may not get a roll crimp. Redding has what is called a 'Profile Crimp Die' which they say is an improved roll crimp. But you have to seat then crimp in seperate operations. Graf & Son has this die for $18.59. You could look at gun shows for a seating die, watch ebay, or post a Want to Buy add in G.B.'s Classified forum for a 45 ACP or AR seating die. $60 is a whole lot of money to spend for a seating die.  8)

Offline Del

• Avid Poster
.256 about ready...
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2003, 09:33:17 AM »
Well, .256WM cases are primed and ready for powder and bullets! :grin:

I'm going to start with Hornady 75 grn HP's & H110 powder, anybody out there who hasn't responded already have a load that works for you and your .256??

After I get to the range w/these new loads, I'll let you guys know how they did.  Untill then wish me luck!

Del
I LOVE TO HUNT!

Offline Del

• Avid Poster
.256 WM case questions....
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 03:25:11 PM »
Are original .256WM cases less troublesome ,(to deal with when shooting them through a Contender barrel), compared to .357 mag cases converted to .256WM??

Do they stretch less?
Are they less likely to split at the neck or shoulder area?
Are they stronger or weaker then brass converted from .357's?

I'm curious because I've located some "once fired" original .256 WM cases, but they want .50 cents a piece for them ($50. for 100)!  But, I already have 150 cases that were formed from .357 brass.  I'm new to this caliber and haven't even fired the .357 to .256 cases that I have loaded, yet.

Anyone have any information about this please respong!  
Thank you, Del
I LOVE TO HUNT!

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2003, 03:42:22 PM »
Nope, same thing. Make .256 from virgin unplated Starline brass for the best cases. My load is the 75 Gr. Sierra on top of 15.0gr. IMR 4227. Shoots great, plenty of power. Still trying to find happiness with cast bullets in this barrel, I think it's gonna get rechambered to a longer case based on the 360 DW, for more neck and the same body.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2003, 12:33:24 PM »
If you are able to contact Wayne Blackwell who sells 'Load from a Disk', he had written a number of in depth articles for Handloader magazine on the .256 years ago