Author Topic: Lyman Ohaus M5  (Read 1223 times)

Offline LaPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
Lyman Ohaus M5
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:20:54 PM »
Opinions on Lyman Ohaus M5 or recommendations for used Scales in $50 range. I dont want a digital scale.   
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." -Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Savage

Re: Lyman Ohaus M5
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:38:35 AM »
Excellent beam scale.  It'll last a lifetime or two!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
Bought mine in 1969 and it came with a "check weight" to verify the accuracy of the scale.  After all these years of considerable use it functions just as it did when I first got it.

Now I use it to check my electronic scale and powder measure combo to make sure the electronic thing is accurate.  The old to verify the new ???  Just eases my old mind :)  They last a long time if not abused
NRA Life Member

Offline LaPoint

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 03:00:06 PM »
Thanks Guys. I still may buy the M5. I bought a Bonanza Magnetic Dampened Powder and Bullet Scale Model M last night on EBAY for $32 unused in original box. Its my understanding they were made for or by Forster but are no longer made. I know a guy how has one and loves it. They had another one for sale in same condition I almost bought it as well but still have my eye on that M5.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." -Teddy Roosevelt

Offline jimkim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
The M-5 is an excellent scale. It was built by Ohaus. It is basically the RCBS 502 with a different base. I have one and I love it. I also have an old Lyman 500(same scale different base), RCBS/Ohaus 505, and RCBS/Ohaus 5-10. If you ever get in to collecting scales you will find one thing most of the better ones have in common. They were/are built by Ohaus.