Author Topic: Interesting howitzer made for dentist  (Read 1272 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Interesting howitzer made for dentist
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:35 PM »
We've had this sitting in a corner for many years.  It was made for a dentist as you can see from his coat of arms.  I bought it from the large collection of a retired stockbroker who lived in Charlottesville, VA.  It has been fired, I'm guessing, not too many times.  You gotta admit, it is kind of unique.  It looks to me like an artistic interpretation of a King howitzer.  It is certainly comparable in size and caliber.  We didn't make it so I'm not sure what the alloy composition is.

Bore:  3.065 in.

Bore length, beyond chamber 6 in.

Chamber depth:  2.45 in.

Chamber dia:  1.845 in.-area between chamber and barrel is concave to fit a shell.

Trunnion dia:  1.73 in.

Rimbase dia:  2.055 in.

Overall tube length approx.: 14 in.

Approx. weight, incl. carriage:  50 lbs.

Does this have your name on it?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Interesting howitzer made for dentist
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »
Looks like some kind of bronze?  Non-magnetic, I assume.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:41 PM »
It is denfinitely a copper alloy, presumably bronze but we don't know for sure.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:33:41 AM »
OK, the tooth is self-explanatory, but why the diamond, and what is it that is represented in the upper right field of the crest?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:06:11 AM »
OK, the tooth is self-explanatory, but why the diamond, and what is it that is represented in the upper right field of the crest?

All good questions, I have no answers, really never tried to decipher all that.  If I knew who the dentist was I could ask an heir how all that fit, but never got that info.  Maybe his name was Diamond, may have to check the Charlottesville VA directory.

Here's a Dr. Diamond, DDS, in NYC (ain't Google wonderful for trivia?):

http://new-york.doctoroogle.com/reviews/viewdentist.cfm/pageID/8/dentistID/67061/new_york_dentist/dr_jonathan_diamond

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »
Cannnonmn,

was the barrel cast or machined? if machined how are the trunnions attached? If cast are the dolphines cast as part of it
or attached with screws like the coat of arms etc....   ?

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 07:01:29 AM »
Allen, the exaggerated flashpan, dolphins, and banner are attached with screws.  The trunnion attachment is almost seamless-musta been threaded in then sweated?  Someone almost could have turned the tube on a lathe but the chamber has small traces of a casting process-a trace of a horizontal parting line sticking out at rear of chamber.

You guys are getting me interested in going out and shooting it.  I'm sure I can find a three-inch projectile that will work, without making a mold.

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:30 AM »
It's a bag of money. Look again and you can see the $ sign.
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:03 AM »

No doubt in my mind (Dental bill from 5/12/09 for $1300 :o)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:15:56 AM »
Well I stuck it up in the classified section-I've never put anything there so thought I'd give it a try.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »

No doubt in my mind (Dental bill from 5/12/09 for $1300 :o)

p51, right you are, I took another good look, and it certainly is a bag of scratch. I think a fairly reasonable explanation could be that this item was presented to a recent graduate of dental school, or perhaps a tongue in cheek present given to a successful DDS that already had a lucrative practice. The symbolism of this "coat of arms" could very easily be translated into some perhaps not so funny jokes, so for now I shall remain "shvaygndik."
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 01:13:02 AM »
Dentistry is so expensive in Australia we have organised holidays to Malaysia.  You travel by plane, stay a week, take in the sights and get your teeth done by a competent and trained local dentist and still have change compared to an Aussie Dentist.  My mate saved over $800 by doing this and it wasn't even a major job.

Shooter2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Dentistry is so expensive in Australia we have organised holidays to Malaysia.  You travel by plane, stay a week, take in the sights and get your teeth done by a competent and trained local dentist and still have change compared to an Aussie Dentist.  My mate saved over $800 by doing this and it wasn't even a major job.

Shooter2

Shooter2, I've recently had my first unpleasant experience with a root canal and a crown, and when I got the bill I simply stared at it dumbfounded (all for one measly tooth). For the amount of the bill I literally could have bought Cannonmn's howitzer (which I surely would have rather done), and also then gone out and bought a case of some quality brew.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
Maybe we should revert to the old practice of going to the barber for tooth extractions.   ::)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
Maybe we should revert to the old practice of going to the barber for tooth extractions.   ::)

Hey George, that might not be a bad idea, capitalism should be based on competition. I wonder if Doc Holiday ever removed anyones bad tooth by shooting it? Yeah, I know its lame, but I had to get past 666 quick, bad luck is bad bussiness.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:11 PM »
"I've recently had my first unpleasant experience with a root canal and a crown..."

Not much done in a dental office is pleasant.

I must say though, my office is less of a torture chamber now since they got this little sand blaster to replace the drill. The other day I watched Napoleon Dynamite (great movie) on a screen over the chair as they did the work. Made time go by faster.

I think HMO insured patients still get the drill and no movie....
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 02:08:13 AM »
"I've recently had my first unpleasant experience with a root canal and a crown..."
 I think HMO insured patients still get the drill and no movie....

And RATIONED anesthetic.   >:(
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 03:16:38 AM »
Speaking of pain, the financial pain of buying this nifty unique item is lessening a bit each time I think about it.  You can see what I mean if you look at the classified ad-price has dropped somewhat already!  I think they call that a reverse auction?