Author Topic: a little help from you Optics gurus  (Read 623 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
a little help from you Optics gurus
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:36:11 AM »
After a disappointing deer hunting trip I have decided to get a good scope (a compact) for a lightweight deer rifle I have and am lately carrying more and more. I would like a 2x7 compact scope with a illuminated dot on the crosshairs or a lighted reticle. I have several scopes but only a couple of good ones. I would like to get Leupold and would also want an objective lens of 32mm minimum for good light gathering capibilities. I do not believe Leupold makes a scope like this. Do any good quaility manufacturers with a lifetime warranty make something similar to what I want?...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: a little help from you Optics gurus
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »
You won't find too many gimmicks in the Leupold line of products.

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
Leupold has a 1.5X5X20 IR VX3 $600. I have this scope, and really like it, it is the previous VXIII though. Trijicon has IR type scopes 3X9X40 close as you can get is about $640. First takes batteries second is tritium power. Good for ten or twelve years the it's back for a tune up out of your pocket.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Personally I'd suggest you forget the lighted crosshair route and just get a good bold plex type reticle but then I'm not sure I've ever been called a guru so what do I know.

If you insist on a lighted cross hair tho take a look at the Mueller line up they seem to specialize in those lighted scopes and they use only a small dot in the center so it doesn't blind you in low light situations and they do have and honor their life time warranty.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
The Burris 1.75-5x32 Signature Safari Rifle scope is highly regarded by some. Enough eye relief and holds up on heavy rifles.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
Nightforce 2.5-10x32.  A bit heavy, but the reticle choices, optical clarity, and especially the reliability make up for that IMO.  If an extra 10oz. is too heavy, spend some money on a gym membership.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the good input guys. I really don't like gimmicks but thought I would spend some good money on a good new scope for once.
GB, I will look into the Mueller scopes, and I don't really want a fully illuminated reticle, but a small red dot in the center might be nice for these old eyes. Also just 10 oz's for a scope would be something I would think would be very acceptable and light enough to carry all day....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:07:52 PM »
I mounted a Burris FullField II 2-7x35mm scope on my Marlin 30-30 for this season.  Out of a two week hunt I carried it for a week.  Went from warm temperatures, to rain and snow.  Changed elevation from 3000 feet to 7000 feet.  The scope had no fogging issues and gave a clear picture in early morning light in a timber stand.  Hunting within the legal hours of ½ before and after sundown I found it to be adequate.  I am sure there are large $1200 scopes that will do better, but I was happy with my $169.00 scope.

Model:    
 2-7-35

Field of View (Feet@100 Yards) Low-High:    
 45-17

Exit Pupil (mm) Low -High:    
 16-4.6

Click Value (Inch@100yards):    

Max Adj. (Inch@100yards):    

Weight (Ounces):    

Features of Burris FullField II 2-7 x 35mm Riflescopes:
•   Steel-On Steel Clickers - precision accuracy and depend-ability
•   One Piece Main Tube - for added strength and waterprofing
•   All Lenses Multicoated - for enhanced light transmission (Light Transmission Calculation - 95%)
•   One Piece Power Ring / Eyepiece - for quick adjust and fewer potential leak paths
•   Double Internal Springs
•   Quard Seal - double insurance against leakage
•   European-style Eyepiece Focus
•   Soft Rubber Eyeguard
•   Purged and nitrogen filled 24 times
•   100% Waterproof Tested
•   Lens Covers Supplied

Whether  I had the scope set at 2x or 7x when I brought the rifle up I had a full field of view.  This was the first season I carried the rifle with the new scope on it during the season. 
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
MSP,

If you take a look at the Muellers, I think you'll be impressed.  If you don't want the reticle lighted up then don't turn it on.  I have three of them right now and will probably end up with more.  The first one I looked at was one that I asked my friend who owns a small gun shop to check into.  He called Mueller and is now a stocking dealer.  I have the Mil-Dot Tactical on my 308 that I use at work and I ended up with two of the 3x9's with the German Post type reticles which I have come to reallllllllly like. ;D  They are super fast on target and have held up really well.  I one of them now resides on my 357 Max Handi taken off of my 44 mag Handi and the other I really put to the test on a hard kicker.  It's mounted on my Savage 10ML which really lets you know when you touch it off! :o  That is the hardest kicking gun I own to include the 45-70's and the scope has held up for several years with no issues.

Best,

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."