Author Topic: Old optics (redfield and bausch & lomb) - setting current pricing  (Read 476 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
I keep an excel spreadsheet of my "inventory" of guns, scopes, serial numbers, ammunition, reloading supplies, etc.  I update it periodically, bi-annually usually.

I know how much all of the items cost me to purchase and for most, the current selling price is easily determined through Mid South, Midway, Gallery of Guns, or other on-line resource.

The most trouble I have is setting a "current value" of non-warranteed, actively used, out of manufacture scopes (i.e. Redfield 4X Wide Angle gloss blue, Redfield Lo-Pro 3X9 Wide Angle gloss blue, and Bausch & Lomb 3X9 gloss blue) that were purchased with a rifle (B&L), or given as gifts (RFs).  Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

These scopes have been trusted friends and hunting companions over decades for me and now my sons.  They are neither new nor are they abused. They carry the dings, nicks, and scars of everyday use.  Like the trusted companions they are, they work and work well.

I am not interested in selling...just insuring their current values.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
I certainly cant help with the value of your current collections and it seems hard to determine. The only suggestion I can come up with would be to find other scopes in comparison that you believe to be of the same quality or just a tad better and of the same magnification or close to it and then add 25.00 to 50.00 per scope for insurance replacement value/cost. You might have already thought of this but its all I can think of because it will be difficult to find an accurate dollar replacement value for your specific scopes.
Good luck

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Go to some of the auction sites. Average the selling cost the best you can. The hard thing is if you have an old B&L balvar that has the external Karhursky Bros. adjustments, the mounts are harder to find than the scopes and more valuable