Author Topic: Bore lapping  (Read 591 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Bore lapping
« on: May 10, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
Hi!  Has any of you ever used Tubb's Bore Lapping System for the 45 LC. Someone told me it was good to do it after having your cylinder bored by Cylinder Smith. I am getting ready to send my cylinder off to him. I was going to order the system so I would have it when I get the cylinder back. Is it worth it ? Any input helpful.
Zacharoo

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bore lapping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:45:25 AM »
1. I have not used Tubb's bore Lapping system - because the thought of it scares the H - E - double hockey stick out of me.
2. You will more than likely get a few responses that say how wonderful it is.

I have read quit a bit about this subject because the thought of shooting a few bullets down the bore is much easier than lapping a bore or even polishing a bore. I causes a lot of throat erosion - that is where the abrasive material is the thickest. It has been recommended that you set a barrel back and  cambering again - after shooting these bullets down the bore.

You can do as you please - me; I will do it the hard way and polish it in if needed.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline zacharoo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Thanks a lot good to hear both sides of the story. Alot of good said about it but I needed to hear the opposite side also.             Thanks!! ZAcharoo

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
Zack - What are you trying to do? I am not familiar with what kind of work you are trying to get done. Does he reshape the cylinder chambers or does he bore out say a 41 Mag to 45 LC? Are you trying to smooth out the cylinder bores or the forcing cone or the barrel?

Offline zacharoo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:36:32 AM »
I am sending the cylinder to be bored out to .4525 on all the chambers by cylindersmith. After that is done. I will get the cylinner back with all the chambers true and the same size. Then I was thinking about buying the tubb,s system of bullets with abrasives on them to smooth out the barrel buy shooting them as directed. The system is calebratwed to gradually smooth out the burrs in the barrel???? You load these bullets at a minimum vellosity. It is said to work but I don't know anyone who has use it. I think I am saying it right. Like old shooter would say(I'm Just am old coon-ass trying some new gadjet.)
Zacharoo

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »
I don't have any experience in this or have any tools of the trade, but I'd like to have it done to my Redhawk and possibly a deer rifle. Are there any gunsmiths who will slug and lap a barrel in revolvers and rifles?

Thanks!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »
I have never done a revolver or pistol; but I have polished several rifles. I would imagine you could do the same thing to a short barreled gun. I polished the bore in the rifles, with a tight fitting patch and polishing compound. I used Mothers Mag polish, JB Bore shine and/or Flitz. I use an old worn out brass brush that I wrap in a patch and apply the polishing compound to. I work it back and forth in the bore adding a little compound as I go. I change patches from time to time with fresh compound. With a revolver you need to work from the muzzle end, so you will need to be careful about wearing out the crown. A guide of some kind that fit over the muzzle would be ideal to use. I use a bore guide when working with a rifle I can get into. I think a bore snake would work too, but of course it would be no good after you get done. Just put the polish on a rifle length bore snake and keep pulling it through from the cylinder side to the muzzle, repeat until the bore is smooth. It takes a lot more work than a Tubbs System, but like I said earlier, they scare me. I would not think of doing any thing unless the bore is so bad, it fouls up quickly. If you are shooting lead and it fouls up too quick, think about using a harder alloy, slow the bullet down or using a different sized bullet to keep the leading down before polishing. Polishing or lapping is to cut down the lead or copper fouling that builds up so quickly it deteriorates the accuracy so quick it becomes useless. I had a rifle that copper fouled so quick that accuracy would drop off after just 5 shots, after doing a lot of polishing I can shoot 50 - 60 before I notice any drop off at all. As I shoot it more, it is getting even better. Good Luck and Good Shooting

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
Great idea and sounds like a simple process, although may take a while. Which is fine with me.

Thanks!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:23:26 AM »
You might also want to check Veral's slugging and lapping kits; I've used them and they work great and the lapping is done with abrasive over cast bullets.