Author Topic: Strange CVA single shot  (Read 943 times)

Offline gewehrfreund

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Strange CVA single shot
« on: February 02, 2004, 03:47:43 AM »
This doesn't exactly fit in this category, but I couldn't figure where else to put it. I have a 44 single shot, Italian made CVA that has a Colt-like brass grip frame with walnut grip and typical single action hammer. The frame is case hardened with engraved western scenes on both sides. The barrel is ocatgon, blued and about 8-9" long with "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc" on the top. There are no other markings other some Italian proof marks. This is essentially an in-line pistol that, at first glance, looks something like a Remington revolver. Can anyone provide any information on this gun (i.e. when it was made and for how long, is it a good shooter)? I can not find anything about it in any of my reference materials. Thanks.

Offline Ramrod

• Trade Count: (0)
Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 01:54:42 PM »
Hey gewehrfreund, Your description sounds alot like a gun Dixie Gunworks used to sell as  the "Trophy Winner", I think they had a shotgun barrel available for it also. I thought CVA's were made in Spain. I don't know about the early pistols though.
Ramrod
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Cuts Crooked

Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 12:36:12 AM »
I remember that pistol! I think it was called "The Prospector". It looked like a single action Remmie with the cylinder opening filled in...sorta. Took a .440 patched round ball and a load of about 25 grains of 3f to make it shoot with pretty fair accuracy.

I used to see a few of them at muzzleloading matches, used in the "unlimited" matches. Seems to me like CVA imported them in the late 70s through the early 80s, but they didn't sell very well and after the first run of them they didn't import anymore. Working from poor memory I think I recall that they were an Italian product instead of the usual Spanish stuff that CVA imported.

Not a bad gun! But it jist din' seem to "fit" in any particular catagory!
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline gewehrfreund

• Avid Poster
Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 02:27:20 AM »
Thanks 'Crooked!
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for and you described the gun to a "T". I'm more into the long barreled guns that you hold with two hands, but I saw this at a gun show this past weekend and walked away with it for $30. Cheap fun in my book.
One of the engraved scenes on the "frame" shows a prospector and two grizzlies, so I'm sure you got the name right too. The quality is certainly better than anything I've seen recently from CVA. I'll try your load and see what happens. Thanks again.

Offline Vgaby

Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 09:35:33 AM »
I think that is a "Tingle" pistol, you see here :
http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Blueprints/Tingle_Pistol_ArmiSanMarco_bp.gif

Best wishes !                       Vgaby
Hungarian Muzzloading Association  #0048
First Warthog of Hungary
If you make a hole, make a big one !

Offline Ramrod

Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 12:45:53 PM »
Vgaby, Thats the same gun Dixie used to sell, probably there were several importers to the U.S. , each giving the gun different name.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline gewehrfreund

• Avid Poster
Strange CVA single shot
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 02:21:04 AM »
Vgaby,
That's the one allright. The only difference is that mine has a dovetailed front sight.  So, it appears Armi San Marco made these for CVA as well as for Dixie. Thanks for the help.
Lance