Author Topic: No real shortages locally it seems  (Read 416 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
No real shortages locally it seems
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
I had to take Faye for her doctor appointment today so on the way back home we dropped into a local gun shop to check out their inventory situation. So many folks have been talking of the shortages they are facing at their local gun stores so I thought I'd see how it is locally. This was my first visit to a gun store this year.

I walked around looking at ammo and reloading supplies and he appeared to be well stocked. The owner Richard is a long time shotgunner so naturally his stock of wingshooting supplies was piled high. He had dozens of cases of shotgun shells in all gauges and various shot sizes and plenty of reloading components to include primers.

His stock of powder was about like it always has been he has never been one to stock huge amounts of powder at least not out in the store tho he might have more in the warehouse area I didn't ask. I did ask about primers tho as I saw not so many other than for shotguns and he said the only item he's really having a problem getting is small rifle primers that other than those he is getting all the primers he needs.

When we moved over to the gun counter it sure was stocked with about all he had room to display and really more than should be on display as he probably had at least 100 or more long guns more than he had holes for in the barrel support racks. His handgun counters were as full as could be without stacking guns on top of guns. I'd say he has a thousand or more firearms on display easily.

I asked about ARs as I noticed he had quite a few on display to include some complete lowers. He said he had a total of 130+ ARs in stock at this time.

If there was a shortage of anything in the store it was not really obvious from a walk thru and the ONLY two items he mentioned when I questioned him about it was small rifle primers and .380 handgun ammo. He has both in stock however and limits customers to one box of .380 ammo per visit.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: No real shortages locally it seems
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:27:42 AM »
Here in the Pittsburgh area, powders are not too hard to find. Brass you can find as well. But primers....man....I think it would be easier to get Spanish Gold pieces that too find primers. If you deal with a local shop, they will sell you 1,000 or 2,000. But if your not a regular, they may just limit you to 200 per visit.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »
Just across the state line in Ga. from you GB it is a disaster!
I can find hardly nothing. And what can be found is
3 times the price it was a year and a half ago. Thankfully
I saw this coming and prepared very extensively.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
GB, today my local gun store was like yours - pretty much anything you want/need, a little short on a few things, and a couple of limits on quantities (3 boxes per caliber of handgun ammo, 1000 of each type of primer per customer). 

But two weeks ago (and for the past 4 months or more), it was a different story - a few kinds of powder, a couple of calibers/weights of bullets, no primers, and no handgun ammo except .40 cal.  Go figure - it's like the dam burst!

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.