Author Topic: H&R ULTRA &SLUG HUNTER  (Read 872 times)

Offline mrlow2506

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R ULTRA &SLUG HUNTER
« on: May 01, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
Would like 2 see if the 20 guage lite sluger will shoot as good as the ultra heavy model   thanks marty

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: H&R ULTRA &SLUG HUNTER
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:43:59 AM »
Marty I am not aware of anyone that has a new Ultra Lite Slug gun yet. We'll see if you get a responce.

Offline alsredoak

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »
I was able to get one of these about a month or a little more ago in 20 gauge. All I have put thru it yet are 2 3/4 in. rem buckhammers and some 3" hasting sabots. I wasn't really impressed with the hastings,But the buckhammers are Quite good at least from the one I have. Have got three shot groups down to 1 1/2 to 2"s at 100 yds. This is resting on the frame just behind the forend. This was done with only a low power variable [maxes out at 4 1/2 power I believe].I was also brushing out the barrel between each shot,trying to find where that first shot goes from a clean barrel.I am really quite happy with it.Although I have never shot one of the ultra hunters so I can't really compare the two myself. I know a few people who have them and all I hear is how heavy they are.Thats why when I heard about the ultra lite I figured it was time to move up.I was thinking of loading my own sabots again but the way this one shoots the Buckhammers why bother. Alsredoak     
alsredoak

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
I've had one for about a yr now it seem to shoot factory ammo just as well as the USH did mine likes Buckhammers also can't seem to find a good load yet for the full bore home brew Dixie 500gr slugs though but have had some success with the BPI Dangerous game slugs. I got mine because of the weight but there is a lot to be said about the extra #'s when you sit down and try and develope a load . This lite one kicks the snot out of me. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jtech

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:48 AM »
I shoot a ush 20 ga. Gun realy likes the horndy sst's, sub moa at a 100 if I do my part. But to get it to shoot I switched to a shorter youth model barrel (biggest improvement). Begged pleaded and paid dearly to have the trigger worked to a clean 2 1/2 lbs., the weight was easy but the transfer bar was another story (second biggest improvement), please don't ask who did the trigger,he WILL NOT do another and swore he would kill me if I told anyone. Put a thumb hole stock on it and moved the weight bar from the original stock (was real barrel heavy without it). Made a shim to go between the forend and mounting lug (o ring seemed inconsistant) Shot to many rounds. I have seen two other 24 in. barrels cut back with improved accuracy. Don't know of any other slug gun manufacturer that uses that long a barrel. If you are going to buy a new gun I would highly recomend the youth model barrel. Would be easier to replace the stock than the barrel but don't know about difference in cost.
Good luck with whatever you purchase.