Author Topic: Mortar / Howitzer ranges  (Read 396 times)

Offline chain

• Trade Count: (0)
Mortar / Howitzer ranges
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »
I have been browsing your forum for the last week or so, slowly trying to assimilate the tons of information. One question that seems fairly simply, but I have not seen combined on a post is range.

I understand that it is probably best to figure out your range first.  I have seen several posts on golf ball and cement beverage can (soda/beer can) mortar - noting that they are often shot at sub 100 yard ranges, and have noted several other posts that mentioned that max range for cement/soda, and even a bored out 6pnd zinc mortar had a max range between 100-200 yards.  (Also noted 500-800 yard ranges on bowling ball mortars - very promising).

I have a line of sight 500 yards, and another clear 5-700 yards behind that for run out and/or long range mortar play (when it's just too hard to resist).  While impact could not be seen directly, the land is open and recovery should be possible.

Anyway, just curious what all could work on this type of range.  I worry about the run out on cannons - (they would either need a barn sized berm or an ocean or desert).  Not sure on the run outs on howitzers, or on extended ranges of small mortars (by using zinc balls for instance).  I suspect economics will prevent any 1:1 scale pieces (at least for the time being).
---
Anyway, love your sight, please forgive that I have probably not done sufficient research to post a intelligent question.   

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Mortar / Howitzer ranges
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:28:07 AM »
Okay first you have to decide which you want to be, bored or frustrated.  If I get bored, I tend to move on to other things.  If I get frustrated, I tend work to over come the frustration.

I find loading up my cannon or mortar and shooting only getting smoke and noise and not seeing the ball fly or a target hit, after one or two shots gets very boring very quick. 

Now loading up the mortar or cannon and aiming at a target or at least a specific spot on the ground is alot more fun. Seeing the impact seal the deal. Now seeing the ball fly towards a specific target and getting near misses is fun also.  when you try to zero in on the target and actually hit it is the frustrating part. 

Learning how to make proper loads and correctly aim the gun will help  reduce the frustration.

Now there is a place for smoke and noise.  But I would rather shot and hit a target if I can. 

If were you I would set out Aiming points at specific ranges and see how close you can come to them.  Take you tape measure our range finder to  set them out.  This will allow you see how far you really are shooting and it will also allow you to find you projectiles and fire them again, especially the zinc and lead. 

Offline chain

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »
I understand boredom and the enjoyment of mastering a skill.  Target shooting however has weened me from the need of immediate satisfaction.  I am used to having to either pull out the spotting scope (rarely), or get exercise while retrieving the target (luckily never have to wait for a cease fire).  I do find shooting w/o targets a tad frustrating - what is the purpose?

My daughter on the other hand hates paper punching.  Luckily she enjoys whacking metal silhouettes.  I keep trying to convince her the only way to get better at whacking them is to practice more on paper (better feedback than hit/miss) - but she finds looking at tiny holes on paper boring. 

My son is still at the phase - wow that's cool.  Boredom has not set in - he still likes the boom.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »
I keep trying to convince her the only way to get better at whacking them is to practice more on paper (better feedback than hit/miss) - but she finds looking at tiny holes on paper boring.

One way to work this problem is to make silhouettes that are mostly air covered with paper except for the desired striking point.  Then bad shots do not knock down the target even though they would be hits.  Maybe a corrugated board outline with a steel core.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill