Author Topic: Burris vs Bushnell - My side by side comparison.  (Read 1110 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Burris vs Bushnell - My side by side comparison.
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
Removed the Bushnell 2-7x32 and mounted the Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 on my remmy mod Seven.

Here are my observations:
Thought I would share

Price
The Bushnell elite 2-7x32 MultiX was 199.00
The Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 Ballistic Plex was 199.00

Construction
Both are excellent and feel solid in construction - no complaints with either.

Features
The AO feature on This Burris is phenomenal, easy to adjust and really work well and eliminates any FOV distortions.
The rain guard on the Bushnell really works.
Both provide fully multi-coated lenses

Length and eye relief
The Bushnell is 12 oz and 11.6 inches in length
The Burris is 15 oz and 11.3 inches in length

The eye relief on the Burris of 4-5 inches is better than the Bushnell and really works well on the mod Seven.
I found the Burris eye relief much more comfortable and when shouldered quickly provided an excellent picture every time at all magnifications. In a quick snap the Bushnell requires a little figit-ing of your head and eye get a full picture on higher magnification.

Dials
I found Bushnell's dials more comfortable to turn. Defiantly much smoother than the Burris,
but the Burris are manageable and appear just as accurate.

Reticles
I found the Burris ballistic Reticle not as thick as Bushnell's MultiX, yet although not as thick they were far more crisp and easier to use sighting in on paper. I think for hunting purposes Bushnell's cross hairs would be easier to use in darker wooded areas, conversely In open field situations I think the Burris Ballistic plex would excel.

Glass and clarity
No question about it the clarity with the Burris was by far superior than that of the Bushnell hands down
Amazingly bright and clear for such a small Objective bell. Super crisp image.
Although overall the Burris glass is by far way better up until Dusk than the Bushnell  -  you lose the fine Ballistic Plex cross hairs
sooner. With Bushnel's small objective you lose overall light gathering ability sooner than the Burris of the same size I was able to make out the MultiX cross hairs a bit longer as Dusk approaches.  Just couldn't see what I was putting the cross hairs on.  

Field of View and Conclusion
The FOV for the Bushnell 44.6@2x  (This alone will probably make the decision to put the Bushnell back on for deer season)
The FOV for the Burris    17@4.5    (Outside of deer season the Timberline with it's far superior glass and crisp thin ballistic Plex Reticle
makes it ideal for punching paper, far better than the Bushnell MultiX.)

So for my mod seven I ended up with two really excellent scopes for the money , for use with two different applications,  and with Weavers lever lock rings switching them out is a snap. I couldn't be more pleased.

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Burris vs Bushnell - My side by side comparison.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:29:13 AM »
Nice report scootrd. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline jdickey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pro Staff Member
Re: Burris vs Bushnell - My side by side comparison.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »
Good report on both...you might want to consider that Burris is part of the Beretta group of companies and also has a "FOREVER WARRANTY" on their optics.
The only easy day...was yesterday!