Author Topic: elk gun  (Read 1645 times)

Offline wheelgun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
elk gun
« on: September 17, 2003, 02:03:51 AM »
What is your opinion on the 270 for elk.I have taken a couple of bulls with a 30-06,my brother killed one 2 years ago with 30-30 lever action and my dad has taken a few with 270.The longest shot was 225 yards with 30-06 shortest 150 yards 30-30.A friend has come up with a elk hunt in New Mexico on a private ranch.He is taking his 15year old son and his 270 to fill the tag.His son is a very good marksman with his 270 and has been hunting in Texas with it for 3 years or more.The guide said bring nothing smaller than 7mm mag(his opinion).What do you think?

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
elk gun
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 03:01:27 AM »
The venerable old .270 will kill elk just fine, although I would say it's not ideal.  Encourage the young man to wait for the best possible shot angle at a reasonable range (<200 yards), and put a solid bullet (the 150 Nosler Part. is excellent) in the vitals.  The elk will die.

Offline Colville

elk gun
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 11:33:34 AM »
I second wheel....

If you have a rack of guns and .270 is there next to 30-06m, 7MM rem mag, .338, .300 Win mag.... I'd grab the .270 last. If all I had was a .270, I'd still be elk hunting this year.

Colville

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
elk gun
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 02:05:54 PM »
If he/she does their part, the .270 is a formidable elk gun.  Just ask your grandfather how many of his friends have taken elk before the .300 Super Short, Long Range, Hyper Sonic Magnum came about.  You can't go wrong with the .270 if the kid is as good as you state.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline redial

• Contributor
elk gun
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 04:51:23 PM »
Under the conditions DesertRam described, he'll do just fine AND he'll get to do it with a rifle he knows and is hopefully somewhat attached to!

Well, it'd matter to ME, I guess.  :-)

Best of luck to all y'all!

Redial

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
elk gun
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 05:07:55 AM »
After years of being pounded with my 338 I made the leap of faith and sold it and decided to use nothing bigger than my 270 for elk this year. I have killed quite a few with it and as long as you don't take marginal shots (which you shouldn't take with any caliber) the 270 will do the job just fine. Of course as soon as I got rid of the 338 an opportunity to go to Alaska presented itself so I HAD to go out and buy a caliber suitable for bear. I WOULDN'T reccommend the 270 for brown bear. So now  I have another new gun I have to take care of. Oh the sacrifices we hunters must make.......
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
270 Winchester
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 01:40:57 PM »
How can I say the 270 is not good when I've killed Elk with a Contender in 35 remington and a 375JDJ.  :eek: I had to limit my range, style of hunting (Stalking) and pick my shots. I personally think every hunter should do this regardless of caliber.  :-) I have big Weatherby's and Winchesters, Remingtons--I hunt with my TC. I shoot NRA Hi-power so I can shoot far, and accurately, but to me sitting and watching and sniping a 500yd Elk isn't hunting. It's only my opinion. :?   Up, close and personal means much more to me. I could be wrong. What's goes to Colorado this year? my 15" Encore in 338-06 loaded with a 200gr Hornady spirepoint. My range is self-limited to 225yds. :shock:  I've shot it to 300 and 400 but it won't have enough oomph. :(  If you've ever chased and tracked a wounded Bull, you'll understand.  :o BTW-teh bull we tracked was from one gut-shot by a friend with a 300 winMag.  :oops: I took 2 grueling days to get that bad boy--we found him being chewed on my the dogs. :(  That's how we found him. sad but true. I vote use thr 270, but most of all, use your conscience when you decide to drop the hammer. :D
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline shb

• Avid Poster
elk gun
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 12:03:52 PM »
I would worry more about the guide than the rifle.
ask for some more refrences.

Offline Questor

elk gun
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 08:55:50 AM »
I have a 270 and told my recent antelope guide that I'd probably get a bigger rifle if I ever wanted to hunt elk. He told me that the .270 is a fine elk gun so long as  you use the heavier bullets that are made for the job.  I read in the gun mags that you need a magnum, but I trust the guide a lot more than I trust the gun mags.
Safety first

Offline Lawdog

elk gun
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 10:29:21 AM »
I would worry more about the guide than the rifle.
ask for some more refrences.

Great answer and you're so right 'shb'.  Nothing wrong with a .270 as long as you use the right bullet and put it where it belongs.  My son has killed seven elk using his .270 Win. using 150 gr. Nosler Partition's.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline crow_feather

elk gun
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 09:54:33 PM »
Most everyone agrees that a 270 with the right bullet shot at the right distance and the proper angle will get the job done.  I would hate to be a young man with one shot and not be able to shoot because the range was too far or the bull not exactly broadside.  Give the young man every advantage you can.  If he had a 338 and could shoot it well, this discussion would not be necessary.  Let him shoot the largest caliber that he can handle with at least a 180 grain bullet.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline JB

elk gun
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2003, 09:58:33 PM »
my granddad used a 270 and 130 factory winchester for all his hunting killed quite a few elk and at least one moose. had one kill that wasn't one shot a elk in wyo. took three rounds after they got it found the jackets had stayed in the skin or right under core had flattend i have seen them looked like they were rubed on a file. he went to 130 nos par. end of problem. put it in the right place on its meat.  my dad used it too but he hand loaded noslers only. me i hut deer with 270 but if i use it for everything i don't have an excuse to buy more guns. try the 130 fail safe or new triple shock i like the x bullet but had a problem with fowling.