Author Topic: 3FG verses 2FG in revolvers?  (Read 671 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
3FG verses 2FG in revolvers?
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »
I'm starting to do more BP revolver shooting after years of shooting Civil War muskets and smaller caliber muzzle-loading rifles.  I always used 3 FG in my smaler caliber rifles and 2FG when musket shooting.  I have a quantity of 2FG black powder left from my musket shooting - can anyone advise if there would be a big difference between using the 2FG verses 3FG in a BP revolver?  I'm primarily shooting .36 caliber revolvers - i.e. '51 Colt Navy and will be shooting the new Remington '58 Navy I just purchased.  I'm not shooting competition - just plinking and targets for fun.  Will the 2FG "foul" more than the 3FG?  Will there be a big difference in point of impact?  Any problems, differences in performance, etc.?

Thanks for any information, suggestions, comments, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
Re: 3FG verses 2FG in revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »
I believe that the Lyman BP handbook has the data.  The pressure and velocity will be lower, but still usable.

Fouling might be more noticeable, but I don't think enough to worry. POI will be substantially the same at close ranges (about to 25 yds. at least)

I think you should just gather up your shooting gear and head to the range.  The proof will be in the pudding.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
I have used both FFG and FFFG powder (as well and pirodex P) in my C&B revolvers in both 36 and 44 calibers.  POI varies a bit and the FFG loads are grain for grain lower velocity by a small amount.  Fouling is a bit more with FFG but not too bad.  I use FFFG for most of my ML shooting even it 58 cal muskets and reserve my FFG for BPCR shooting.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:20:48 AM »
The Lyman books do not list 2f for revolvers but in Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Colt Single Actions" he lists the following:
.36 Caliber with 80 grain ball, from 1851 Colt Navy:
 20 grains Pyrodex P=1127fps,   25 grains Goex 3f=1083fps,   25 grains Goex 2f=948fps

.44 caliber with148 grain ball, from 1860 Colt Army:
20 grains Pyro P=903fps,   30 grains 3f=815fps,   30 grains 2f=780fps

So, as others have said, the difference in ballistics is hardly worth worrying about. Individual guns may be more accurate with one than with the other, you just have to shoot and see which groups better from your revolvers.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Flint

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 06:25:54 AM »
2fg is better in larger calibers, as has been said, it's also better in metallic cartridges, as the cartridge is more efficient due to the heavier bullet and the crimp.  No problem shooting the ffg in the cap & ball revolver, as mentioned, it's a bit slower and dirtier.

the 2fg also leaks out of the powder flask less than 3fg.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »
I found my Lyman reference for .36 Cap & Ball loads;  LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK, 1973.

For the Lyman 1851 Navy they show a comparison @ 20 grains

FFg  20 gr.  mv  705fps
FFFg  20 gr.  mv 725fps

For the Lyman .36 New Model navy they show both powders @ 25 gr.

FFg  25 gr.   mv 685fps
FFFg  25 gr. mv  745fps

P.S;  I checked the data again.  Yes, these numbers are what are printed in my copy.  I have not checked them with my own Chrony.