Author Topic: Sending in an old Leupold  (Read 509 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Sending in an old Leupold
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »
I made a trade and got a 2x7 Leupold compact.  I can't adjust the ocular bell so that the vertical fine part of the duplex crosshair focuses as one line, looks like two pretty close together lines.  I am getting a bit older but I can adjust this out in my other Leupolds which are mosly M8 4x regular size scopes.  Could this be my old eyes or should I send it in?  It works perfectly in all other respects.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Sending in an old Leupold
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
Sounds like you have astigmatism. It's best deal with using an eye glasses prescription not the ocular adjustment on the scope. Send it in if you wish they'll take a look but if it needs more than cleaning and resealing they don't support that model any longer I don't think so if it needs parts they'll just replace it with one of the new models that replaced it in their line up.

I have a 3-9 AO Compact I really need to send in for a check up and repairs but I seem to keep forgetting to do it. I'm pretty sure it's gonna need parts which means a replacement. If so I sure hope the new ones are as good as this old scope has been for me over the last 25+ years.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
I am losing my near vision which might be astigmatism, but I see just fine after 3 feet or so.  I have to use reading glasses to visit the internet.  I hate to think I would have to start wearing glases while hunting.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »
Astigmatism is when you cannot properly focus all items in the same plane as each other such as the crosshairs are. If part of the crosshair is in focus and some parts out of focus that most likely is an indication of astigmatism. I was diagnosed with it back before I retired but then at that time my right eye was 20-250 and the left 20-80.

Since retirement they've improved and when last tested were both 20-20.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
I would send it in, with your description emplaning the problem.

I buy used Leupold’s, hoping they are messed up so I can get free new replacements.

Leupold's are the best optics in the business, warranty and customer service cannot be touched by anyone.

yooper77

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
Nope they are NOT the best optics but you are right about their customer service. It is unmatched really. Mechanically they are darn close to the best but there are better optically.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »
I have almost as many Mueller scopes as I do Leupolds.  I think Mueller glass is very good, in fact none of my Leupolds are any better if as good.  However Leupold makes a rugged dependable scope without a lot of bulk.  I may soone end up buying one of the new 3x9 hybryds as it looks like a step in the right direction.  Sure would like to see a straight 4x in similar dimensions to the Leupold M8 4x.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »
Leupold has the highest combination of quality, customer service and warranty which makes them the best in the optics business in my book.

Someone else may make a better optic, but to include quality, customer service and warranty as a whole, no one can come even close to Leupold.

yooper77