Author Topic: Internet browser option to improve speed  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Internet browser option to improve speed
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:00:12 AM »
I installed the Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7 and immediately noticed a huge degradation in the time it takes to load web pages.

Switching to Firefox solved the problem. I recommend using Firefox and it is free for the downloading from Mozilla. It only takes a few minutes to download and it will automatically import your Favorites, if you wish, from Internet Explorer. This can improve your experience at Graybeard Outdoors, and your other favorite sites.

If you haven't heard of Firefox, it is the second most popular internet browser in the U.S. It is as secure as browsers get today. It is a fully functional, professional product.
Safety first

Offline jgalar

Re: Internet browser option to improve speed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 03:04:11 AM »
I switched to Firefox awhile back and totally agree - its much better than IE.

Offline †·ĦÙŃŦÈŔ·†

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
If you like "Firefox" you'll like "Opera"  ... Now that "Firefox" has become popular hackers are starting to exploit some of the vulnerabilities , where as "Opera" is not as popular yet but is a little stronger browser then "Firefox".  I got both of them on my computer and both are way better the 'Memory Hog IE-7"

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/

Offline Anti-NWO

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
i tryed firfox used it for a while always seems 2 slow down after computer was on a while. one thing you can do to speed up firefox is install the free plugin adblock plus it will keep all the ads off your webbrowser. if you use opera or internet explor best ad blocker is admuncher which allso works with firefox its not free like adblock plus. stay away from toolbars, defrag and use a program called registry mechanic to maintain speed. then find the lightest security suite with firewall you can find.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
Tried FireFox and Opera both. HATED them. Went back to IE7.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:02:03 AM »
Never heard of Opera but there are a lot of things I haven't heard of. My son prefers Firefox and he installed it on my computer. It might be a tiny bit faster than IE7 but there are a few things I like better about IE so I still use it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »
Both proved to be slower on my computer than IE7 in spite of claims to be faster.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:25:10 AM »
Firefox is about the same speed (maybe even a tad slower) as IE7 on my computer, but it has proven to be much faster than IE7 on my friend's computer. Must have something to do with the idiosyncrasies of each computer.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »
I'm running a VERY FAST computer with lots of RAM and a 64 bit OS. But sadly my internet connection via satellite stinks. But there is a ray of sunshine they are in the process of bring cable to me. Dunno just when it will arrive but they are actively moving on it finally.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »
You may have hit on the head graybeard. I'm using an older computer with less ram. IE7 slows my computer down to a crawl. My geek said he thought it had to do with the ram each require to run?

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
Whatever you use, you need good virus protection and you need to clean the crap out of your computer once in a while.  Otherwise, any one of these browsers will slow down.  A good free tool can be downloaded from the web.  It's CCleaner.  Google it up, load it and install it, and with one click you'll be able to clean out the rubbish.  Another one-click option is its registry cleaner, which when you run it allows you to clean dead stuff out of your registry--mostly stuff that is left over from when your automatic updates result in removed parts of programs. 

Offline FourBee

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 04:08:07 PM »
I doubt if firefox or opera would help my situation since I'm on dial-up out here in the sticks where the Hoot-Owls hoot in the daytime.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:22 AM »
Whatever you use, you need good virus protection and you need to clean the crap out of your computer once in a while.  Otherwise, any one of these browsers will slow down.  A good free tool can be downloaded from the web.  It's CCleaner.  Google it up, load it and install it, and with one click you'll be able to clean out the rubbish.  Another one-click option is its registry cleaner, which when you run it allows you to clean dead stuff out of your registry--mostly stuff that is left over from when your automatic updates result in removed parts of programs. 

Good points.  Most people dont' realize that computers are like your car as they require basic periodic maintenance.  If you never change your oil what is the end result for your engine?  Same as your PC.  I've been using FF for 5+ years now I think.  Occasionally I run into a web based utility or program/site that doesn't like or run with FF so I kept IE on.  However FF I think is now pimping the yahoo toolbar so when you go to install if you do the advanced used button you can de-select it.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:47:23 AM »
I got my Firefox to work way faster last night after following a link offered up by Teal over on the 24 Hour Campfire website. I did all the tweaks offered and have had no ill effects from them. My Firefox has never run better. Here is the link he offered:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/01/25/a-handful-of-firefox-tweaks-that-will-double-your-browser-speed/

And for those who don't like to click on links, here is a copy and paste of the content from the above link:

A handful of Firefox tweaks that will double your browser speed
Posted by Zach Epstein on Jan 25, 2009 2:44 pm 63 comments
Filed in Linux, Mac OS, Software, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Firefox users take note: You need to do this. Now. As in, this instant. More savvy users are probably already familiar with editing Firefox’s configuration file but whether you’re a computer rookie or a seasoned veteran, Gnoted has issued a handful of tweaks that really get Firefox cooking. As much as we all love the fox, it can get a bit slow on occasion - especially if you’re like us and have 35 open tabs spread across four windows at any given time. By tweaking the way Firefox handles some caching functions, you can dramatically improve page load speed and even prevent Firefox from hogging your system resources while minimized. If you don’t currently have any experience playing with your configuration file, don’t be scared. Just follow the simple instructions, take your time and if you want a security blanket to squeeze, jot down each setting before you change it so you can always restore the default configuration if need be. So without further ado, hit the jump and get tweaking - just remember to restart Firefox when you’re done.

Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for its cache feature

1. Type “about:config” (no quotes) in the address bar in the browser and then press Enter.
2. Find “browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewer”
3. Set it’s value to “0“;(Zero)
Increase the Speed at Which Firefox loads pages

1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit Enter.
(Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.)

2. Alter the entries as follows:
Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”
Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 10.

This means it will make 10 requests at once.

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0“;.(Zero)

This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages faster now.
Optionally (for even faster web browsing) here are some more options for your about:config (you might have to create some of these entries by Right Click –> New– > Interger or String

network.dns.disableIPv6: set “false”
“content.notify.backoffcount”: set “5“; (Five)
“plugin.expose_full_path”: set “true”.
“ui.submenuDelay”: set “0; (zero)
Reduce RAM usage to 10MB when Firefox is minimized:

This little hack will drop Firefox’s RAM usage down to 10 Mb when minimized:

1. Open Firefox and go to the Address Bar. Type in about:config and then press Enter.
2. Right Click in the page and select New -> Boolean.
3. In the box that pops up enter “config.trim_on_minimize”. Press Enter.
4. Now select True and then press Enter.
5. Restart Firefox.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
Four bee, Firefox has a lot of add ons.  One of them allows all flash programs ( ads) to become a button you can click on the button if you want to see them.  So no wasted time loading ads.  The other add on helps boost speed by putting some of the work back on the server or something like that but can't tell it does much on dsl but it might on dial up.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
Thanks Matt ~ I may look into that.    Not long after I posted ,  Microsoft sent an automatic IE7 update and my slow computer got even slower.   Plus had some wierd things going on with it too.   Just got it out of the shop Monday, and it still acts a little odd.    The Tech said he's been re-installing IE7 on several computers that received the automatic IE7 updates.  
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:58 PM »
I finally got cable internet here. Now my internet is as fast as my computer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
As I recall, Opera will uninstall certain CD burner programs. Firefox works well enough to suit me, especially after I got a new computer.

(G) I just installed Ubuntu. The Kumbaya stuff has me holding my nose, maybe I'll go on to PCBSD.

Offline LostInSpace278

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
I have IE8, Firefox, and Google Chrome 2 installed on my laptop and I can tell you from experience, Chrome 2 puts IE8 and firefox to shame as far as web browsing speeds go. Just giving a heads up.