Author Topic: 'Nuther one of our best & brightest...  (Read 922 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
'Nuther one of our best & brightest...
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPbS2vkTCc&NR=1

Would have been interesting to see his reaction had the fuse caught his shirt on fire.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 'Nuther one of our best & brightest...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Wow!  And neither of them said the magic words - Hey! hold my beer and watch this!
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »
I love it:  "Here's the TV after a close encounter with a D battery."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
AGAIN one of those IDOITIC things where they used what appears to be iron pipe !  (Note where he unscrews the pipe cap after fring.)

You have to be tough if you're stupid!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:03:49 AM »
After you watch Rambo, Click the next one, "Homemade Fireworks & M80 Comparison".  The space cadet corroborates what I said in a previous post, i.e. the m-80 uses "Flash Powder", not black powder or smokeless. 

With videos and people like this (these), it's only a matter of time when ATF will make our black powder and EVERYTHING verboten, including eating beans or White Castle.  :-[

Who did that?  Did you do that?  Get out of my car!

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:15:42 AM »
Well to start with those guys are going to have a tough time explaining to ATF just exactly what pre 1899 cannon that replicates.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:14:44 AM »
Well to start with those guys are going to have a tough time explaining to ATF just exactly what pre 1899 cannon that replicates.

That was obviously an attempt to replicate the stump mounted, breech loading swivel gun used by Thorntons Cav. (CSA) described in an account of the Federal raid at Camden Point, MO in June of 1864.  (oral communication passed down through the family). 

Yeah, that's it, officer.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:35:43 AM »
If I had to guess where this comes from, I'd guess these guys had potato cannons of similar construction, and wanted to "upgun" in range and accuracy from there. 

However as anyone here knows, the risks go way up when you use much more powerful chemical compounds, and metal pipes that can rupture and throw pieces into your brain.  Putting that kind of bomb right next to your jugular vein and head isn't really too awful smart.

Offline FTB1-SS

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
This is a very illuminating example of natural selection in action. ;)

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
Here is a candidate for a posthumous Darwin Award.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:11:31 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPbS2vkTCc&NR=1
 Would have been interesting to see his reaction had the fuse caught his shirt on fire.

Maybe his partner in hazardous hobbies would have displayed enough common sense to smother the fire; but I wonder what expression his face would have had if the pipe had fragmented on the kid's shoulder?

After you watch Rambo, Click the next one, "Homemade Fireworks & M80 Comparison".  The space cadet corroborates what I said in a previous post, i.e. the m-80 uses "Flash Powder", not black powder or smokeless. 

Richard, as far as I know, one of the few valid things a "space cadet" could demonstrably corroborate, would be the fact that he or she did indeed deserve the title of "space cadet."  ;)
In the other thread that referred to M-80s, I didn't mean to imply that the original devices weren't loaded with flash powder, to the contrary, I know that they were. What I did mean to say was that the 1976 ATF law was intended to regulate the amount (50 miligrams) of flash powder a commercial explosive device like these salutes could legally contain.
Anyone that has been in the near vicinity of a real M-80 going off will be able to attest to the fact that what this kid lit in his backyard was nothing more than a "souped-up" firecracker. In the vid he states that this (illegal, bought from a reservation) M-80 was loaded with 1.4 grams of what he thought was flash powder, while the original M-80s were loaded with about 3 grams of genuine flash powder. We used to get larger (around 2¼'' long) firecrackers named red, white, and blues that to my recollection, were just as loud as the two salutes this kid blew off in his yard.
To convey the idea of just how powerful M-80s really were, when I was a kid we played two games that I'll relate here. In Chicago, the city Dept. of Sanitation provided 55 gallon steel drums with steel lids to residential homes, to be used as garbage cans, and one of the sports we loved to play was lighting an M-80, dropping it in the drum, putting the lid on as tightly and quickly as we could, and then running like hell. I remember some of these lids coming down from about 30' or so, and at times landing pretty close to some of the bodies on the ground, but luckily none of us ever got tagged. The other involved lighting the "bomb," throwing it into the can, putting the lid on tight, then jumping up on the lid, and standing there as the salute "saluted." This last adventure would result in the steel drum literally splitting all the way up its side. I'll stick by what I originally said; in this instance I'm glad the Fed's stepped in with a law to outlaw these "salutes." These fireworks are just too brutal for kids to be playing with, and just as it was as easy as pie for us to buy them (every year when the "Fourth" came near) a block or two away from our homes, from a guy selling them out of the trunk of his car; the same thing would be a frequent occurence today, if it weren't for the stiff fines, and threat of possible prison time these bottom feeders now face. Now I know that there are those people that would then turn this around to infer that the same implications would hold true concerning a discussion of guns, but I personally don't buy into that argument, I think they're two totally separate subjects.
I sure do love our board, and the fascinating and inexhaustible subject of pre-1899 black powder ordnance that we discuss here. ;D                                   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
 "Anyone that has been in the near vicinity of a real M-80 going off will be able to attest to the fact that what this kid lit in his backyard was nothing more than a "souped-up" firecracker."

I know a guy who touched off ~8# of flash once. Cops received a report of a possible plane crash or meteor strike from some guys they found in the immediate area shortly after it went off.

Edit - Musta been much louder than any pre-1899 black powder cannon.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
I know some guys who fired a Napoleon in down town Atlanta (at the History Center)using 2 lbs of blackpowder.  It broke a lot of windows.  They'd never fired one before.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 04:59:27 AM »
I know some guys who fired a Napoleon in down town Atlanta (at the History Center)using 2 lbs of blackpowder.  It broke a lot of windows.  They'd never fired one before.

They must have checked the table of fire.  That is the service charge for common shell.  Shot and case increased it to 2 1/2 pounds.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »
The artillery exchange during the battle of Gettysburg was heard in Harrisburg 35 miles away.  I wonder how many windows and ear drums were broke during that battle.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
They must have checked the table of fire.  That is the service charge for common shell.  Shot and case increased it to 2 1/2 pounds.

Yep, my buddies are sticklers for historical accuracy.  I think they dropped down to 1/2 lb after that.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~