Author Topic: Brooks GB Coehorn  (Read 700 times)

Offline CV66Slim

• Trade Count: (1)
Brooks GB Coehorn
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »
I received my Brooks GB Coehorn today. It looks great and I am proud to have it as my first cannon. If the weather holds out, I will make some smoke with conservative GB loads tomorrow. I would like to shoot at least one salute charge, but I am not sure what would be safe or what to use for wadding (if any). Any recommendations?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Brooks GB Coehorn
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
I would like to shoot at least one salute charge ...

Mortars are not very effective as salute guns if they are chambered.  Most of the expansion (that gives the noise) goes on inside the barrel and the sound is quite muted.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:34:01 PM »
Three photos from today. Maybe the link won't appear, but it did in the test.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:34:34 PM »
Nice Fire and Smoke pictures!!!!!!!
That looks like a keeper to me.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
Ahhhh the excitement of the first one!

It never goes away.

Looks like you have a great place to shoot too!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:58:55 AM »
Cool!! Nice Pictures.. ;D

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:19:43 AM »
You have to look hard at the third picture, but you can see the ball in flight. That shot was done with 90 grains and I believe the first two were 125 grains. My furthest shot was to the end of the runway which we guessed was 300 yards. I just measured on Google Earth and it said 400 yards. Only two golf balls weren't recovered due to a lack of interest in searching the tall grass.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
Slim...I think that first one would be a hit for the calendar contest.

Nice pics.  I have one ot irishman's mortars...they are G-R-E-A-T

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
cv66slim, Nice photos, Enjoy, Glad you got it OK :)

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »

Thanks radio. You're a heck of nice guy and I wish you all the best. I hope we cross paths again.

Brokenpole, I've seen the post with your mortar and I would love to hear more about the loads you have used and your method for making this mortar speak. I used a little cellulose insulation on one shot and got a little more pop, but it sure fouled the bore.

I am really impressed with the irishman's work. I don't know how the trunnions were attached to the barrel, but if someone told me the entire piece was machined from one piece of metal, I'd believe it. I assume Ray89 built the skid; regardless of who did, it is a quality piece of work. I may have to lightly touch the holes for the trunnion with some 600 grit so I can disassemble and reassemble a little faster.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 06:25:41 AM »
You have to look hard at the third picture, but you can see the ball in flight. That shot was done with 90 grains and I believe the first two were 125 grains. My furthest shot was to the end of the runway which we guessed was 300 yards. I just measured on Google Earth and it said 400 yards. Only two golf balls weren't recovered due to a lack of interest in searching the tall grass.

Slim,

Your getting the feel for that barrel that we talked about. Makes me feel real good + I did see the launched ball the first time. kinda like spotting deer in the woods.

Slim...I think that first one would be a hit for the calendar contest.

Nice pics.  I have one ot irishman's mortars...they are G-R-E-A-T

Thanks BP

Thanks radio. You're a heck of nice guy and I wish you all the best. I hope we cross paths again.

Brokenpole, I've seen the post with your mortar and I would love to hear more about the loads you have used and your method for making this mortar speak. I used a little cellulose insulation on one shot and got a little more pop, but it sure fouled the bore.

I am really impressed with the irishman's work. I don't know how the trunnions were attached to the barrel, but if someone told me the entire piece was machined from one piece of metal, I'd believe it. I assume Ray89 built the skid; regardless of who did, it is a quality piece of work. I may have to lightly touch the holes for the trunnion with some 600 grit so I can disassemble and reassemble a little faster.

Slim, Rays89 has made a lot of our carriages, but, that one came from our barn. The trunnions were pressed in with more than 2000 lbs.. The relative humidity will affect the fit of the trunnions. If you went to the California desert, the fit would be somewhat loose, but in a more humid place you might want to SLIGHTLY increase the hole dia.

Michael

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:06:35 AM »
CV...

I don't do anything special.  Maybe I'm just not looking for as much bark from my mortar.  My daughter did push the envelope (it is actually her mortar) and jacked the amount of powder up a tad but I don't think that made that much of a difference in the report.

All I do know is when we take them to our range we can keep up with the high powered rifles  ;D

Most of them we even say stuff like; "Hold off a second Earl.  They are gonna set that mortar off again."