Author Topic: ccw should I?  (Read 909 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
ccw should I?
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
I have been wanting to take a ccw class for a while. They are offering one close by for Utah (and whichever states recognize it).

My question is, should I take it?

I live in Illinois and we cannot carry at all. Granted I would be allowed to carry in the approved states which is nice during road trips.

What do you guys think. Any pro's I don't know of?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline KAYR1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: ccw should I?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
Exercising your right to keep and carry firearms is enough for me. I believe that the class is well worth taking. Hopefully, Illinois will get straightened out for you all as well. Good Luck!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
Absolutely!  Then apply for a permit from a state that does not require residency.  Then it will be good in all of the states that recognize that states permit.  Will Ill. come on board?  Hard to say.  Not if Obama can help it.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:06:40 AM »
It is well worth the effort, time and expense to have the reciprocity to carry concealed in other states.  If you ever decide to leave Ill. you will be legal in more places than you have ever been.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
I took the class last night.

Not much I didn't already know, but it was a good time. The guy giving the class is a state police officer and since there were only three people signed up for that nights' class, he had it at his home.

Now I have to get all my info and get fingerprinted and send in the application.

Kind of funny, I yelled (not really yelled but strongly suggested) at the instructor. He was going through holster positions and choices and he pulled out a glock from a case and starts kind of waiving it around. Not really pointing it directly at anyone but close enough to make me nervous so I asked him to show me that the weapon was cleared. I think I caught him off guard but he knew it was empty but never bothered to show the rest of us.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »
Good for you GrimJim!  I have forgotten that myself on occasion, that you should 'prove' to everyone that the gun is unloaded.  It is ettequte and a safety issue.  I always have to check my guns as most are loaded except for a few.  But you also want to show anyone else and you want the 'students' (in my case, my Grandchildren) to pick up the habit of always checking.  Col Cooper always said if the gun leaves your hand, and you pick it up again, you are obligated to check it again.  I wouldn't go that far, but what your instructor did in taking it out of a case, and not checking it, was wrong.  Good you kept him on his toes!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:53:39 AM »
 dang right.. i ran into a fella the other day that said first time he went into a gun shop nearby.. the fella behind the counter.. pointed a gun at him an dry fired it.. whew ,,i was just glad it wasn t me.. i mighta had a heart attack or went to jail one.. :) slim

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 03:33:08 AM »
dang right.. i ran into a fella the other day that said first time he went into a gun shop nearby.. the fella behind the counter.. pointed a gun at him an dry fired it.. whew ,,i was just glad it wasn t me.. i mighta had a heart attack or went to jail one.. :) slim

Not sure what I'ld have done in that scenario either .  He'd have definitely known I was unhappy that's for dang sure. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline glockman55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 06:11:03 AM »

Not sure what I'd have done in that scenario either .  He'd have definitely known I was unhappy that's for dang sure. 

Doesn't say much for the Instructor..Good for you for correcting him. My Dad has been teaching CCW Classes for about 18 years, and you'll NEVER see him pull a stunt like that.
Glock 23  http://obamaclock.org/
Sig. Ultra Compact 1911
Sig. P-232
Sig. P-238

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »
the thing that really got me started was the fact that he had two plastic guns for examples. Actual blue plastic fake guns. But when he got to the holster and stance part he needed the real thing for some reason.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:43 AM »
An instructor should know better than that.  His conduct showd poor manners and was potentially dangerous, glad to hear you called hime on it. 
As far as the dry firing clerk, he has no businesss being anywhere near a firearm.  I trust you didn't buy anything from him?
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor