Author Topic: Seller "bronzecannon"-check with me before you send them any money  (Read 4278 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Seller "bronzecannon"-check with me before you send them any money
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 07:00:12 AM »
What's strange about the listing on that sale site is that there's NO seller name listed at all.  I'd use the "ask seller a question" button to confirm who they are but I really don't want anything more to do with that crowd.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »
I sold my 3# cannon through Bronzecannon.com

How it worked was he took his commission from
the down payment on the sale

He sent me the rest of the down payment. The customer in
Kentucky paid the rest in cash on delivery.

I can understand how a price hike in the middle of the deal can
cause major problems for everyone concerned.

This situation may be because of the antique dealer, not Tony.

My deal worked out great.

I have no connection with the antique cannon superstore,
or knowledge of this particular deal.

Kap Pullen

Commission up front?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
I sold my 3# cannon through Bronzecannon.com

How it worked was he took his commission from
the down payment on the sale

He sent me the rest of the down payment. The customer in
Kentucky paid the rest in cash on delivery.

I can understand how a price hike in the middle of the deal can
cause major problems for everyone concerned.

This situation may be because of the antique dealer, not Tony.

My deal worked out great.

I have no connection with the antique cannon superstore,
or knowledge of this particular deal.

Kap Pullen

Commission up front?

Not only Commission up front, but C.O.D. to boot! scary way to do business, he could have a shill buyer,
send a down payment (less his Commission) and you send your stuff expecting to be paid to find you are
now out your cannon !
  :o
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
 I wonder how common this kind of thing is nowadays, with the speed that deals can be closed via the internet.

A friend of mine had a car restoration business up until a few years ago. I heard a couple of stories from him that sounded very similar to the kind of 'creative brokering' talked about here.

The cars he worked on were mostly $100K - $500K vintage European race cars. They almost always have a very public and well documented history, so I couldn't see how any unusual dealings with them could be easily pulled off concerning them. I also couldn't understand how anyone with the dough to buy one wouldn't 'have one of his people' check out every detail associated with a deal from top to bottom before sending money.

What I got out of my friend was interesting. He said that some of the guys who collect these cars just want them and they want them right now before they're snached up by someone else. Some of the cars might only come up for sale once in a lifetime, and they'll do anything to get their hands on them. The money is no more of a problem to them as to the average joe going out and buying a Toyota, so I guess some don't sweat the details much.

I guess you can't be too careful these days...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
GOOD NEWS for a change!  Today I checked the office malbox and found a letter from my credit card company.  They are crediting my account with the remaining approx. $1900. that I lost to the swindlers.  So as of now I'm 100 percent "whole" as a lawyer would say, on this thing.

The lesson for y'all is when you are dealing long-distance with someone you don't know, take the precaution of paying with a pay service if possible, and have them get the money from one of your major credit card accounts.  As a minimum, use a major credit card to pay for such a transaction.

Never wire money directly into someone's bank account if there's any other possible way to pay for something.

Again, my personal recommendation is never deal with "bronzecannon" or "Antique Cannon Superstore" or "Tony Wells" or "Dennis Standifer" or "Chuck Wright."  Or other names they may invent.  They're double-dealing swindlers, scammers, and liars, all of 'em!  And please tell all your friends so they won't have to waste countless hours like I've had to do to recoup my money.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
I assume you've been in contact with your state's attourney general's office - consumer protection division?  Most states have them.

IT IS GOOD NEWS, to get it back!  Thanks for keeping us apprized.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Glad to hear you are "whole" John.

I don't know if you have taken the time to query all those names in Google, but you should.

That should end this post.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »
Glad to hear you got your money back , hopefully the law catches up with this bunch soon!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »
I assume you've been in contact with your state's attourney general's office - consumer protection division?  Most states have them.

IT IS GOOD NEWS, to get it back!  Thanks for keeping us apprized.

That was my first thought also.  I thought that internet fraud fell under Mail Fraud  ??
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Tony Wells and or the othe rAKA's
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »
I had posted this earlier and was asked to move it. I'm not here to beat a dead horse .

I found it interesting while googling cannons yesterday or today that this new site BronzeCannons.net came up ...new to me and a "new horse" so to speak. When I saw the Wells name I figured I 'd give the crew a heads up on another effort of his .

O.P. : Bronze cannon.net ? is a new to me site . They claim they have no connection w/ Bronzecannon.com OR Cannon superstore .  :o .
They specailize in Southeast Asian cannons . FWIW

rocklockI
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
Tony Wells stole nearly $2000. from me, that is thoroughly documented, black and white, sent money, no product.  If you send him money, he'll probably steal that too.  If you have enough dough to run that kind of experiment, by all means, go for it.  For me, I'm permanently out of the online cannon buying thing.  People who live in Asia and have no phone number you can get, no fixed address, and only an email address have no motive to provide you anything after you send money because they are almost impossible to catch up to.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 04:43:27 PM »
Tony Wells stole nearly $2000. from me, that is thoroughly documented, black and white, sent money, no product.  If you send him money, he'll probably steal that too.  If you have enough dough to run that kind of experiment, by all means, go for it.  For me, I'm permanently out of the online cannon buying thing.  People who live in Asia and have no phone number you can get, no fixed address, and only an email address have no motive to provide you anything after you send money because they are almost impossible to catch up to.

Good grief cannonman  :o,do you seriously think I am advocating sending him anything ???? I've kept abreast of the tale . I am simply warning of another site . I have no "dough" to run an experiment ,so ,I can't afford to be ripped off . Most other members can not either . Sorry for your loss . rocklockI
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
thats not a new site , first time I run in to it must have been at least 1 - 1,5 year ago .
so I would guess it had been there longer then so .
no I didnt do any business with him , ok I didnt know then that he was a swindler but its just that his prices are way out of reach for me . but he sent me some offers .
among them the cannon you "bought"  John .
but Im quite sure he dont will send me any offers any more as we had an discussion about the quality of the carriage it was mounted in  ;D I said something like "I wasnt interested in the carriage because of its low quality and bad craftsmanship" . then he was offended because he claimed that he made it by himself  ;D
Im quite sure he reads every word thats been written here as he is in the market of cannons .
he probably is a frequent "guest" here at the forum as the antique cannon business  is a verry narrow branch .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
he probably is a frequent "guest" here at the forum as the antique cannon business  is a verry narrow branch .

I'm "pretty sure" he is a registered member here but doesn't do much posting. I seem to recall that when this first came up I got to looking and found a user that I more or less tracked to being him but I can't recall who and if I did I'd likely not say so long as he doesn't try selling here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:24 PM »
ok , thats nice to know  ;D
as he dont try to defence himself I would suppose it means :  "guilty as charged"
hope someone will "get" that man in one or another way .
sometimes I sort of like the old fashion lynch mob .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
The best thing we can do about this is to spread the word, let everyone know about the scamsters if they might be inclined to buy an antique cannon.

If anyone has the Artilleryman issue with the "Buying Cannons Online" article in it, I'd sure like a brief summary, please email me.

Thanks

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Do you know what year the article was published?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 05:07:27 PM »
John,

Contact Artilleryman and ask them to send you the article.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
what year article was published?

It would have been Spring of 2005.  According to the online index I linked here recently, here are contents of that issue:

Vol. 26, No. 1
More on 8-inch Armstrong loaned by West Point to Fort Fisher
History Channel films field guns
Artillery author Edwin Olmstead Dies
Texas Republic 18-pdr. pivot gun
Two XI-Inch Dahlgrens removed from USS Monitor turret
Navy experiments with compressed air dynamite gun
Buyer beware of Internet cannon
Casper, Wyo., shoot report

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 01:55:45 PM »
John,

Correction it is the "Winter 2004" issue. The Vol. 26, No.1 is correct.

The article, "Safety Alert: Buyer Beware Of Cannon Offered For Sale Through The Internet"
is by Matt Switlik found on page 22 & 23.

Ed.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
is it any posibility to get an approval to publish those 2 pages here ??
would be very interesting reading .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
Thanks, since the full title contains "safety" it must be about the construction of some cannon(s) rather than business practices.  Also, Matt Switlik is known for writing articles about cannon construction, I'm sure he wouldn't bother with one on scams etc., just not his "thing."

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 02:29:01 PM »
even if its about the safety it would be very interesting reading
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline tonywells82

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
John,

I just wanted to let everything you said about how you paid for the cannon and then how the deal didn't go through (I told you that the antique store suddenly raised the price) and how I only sent you back half of you money is absolutely TRUE. That was MY BIG mistake and I realize that. I cooperated 100% with paypal so you could claim back your money ASAP. I could have TOTALLY DISPUTED the entire thing just to delay you getting back your money but I did not do that. Just so you know, I still owe paypal that balance and still have to pay them one day when I can. Anyway, what I did was WRONG. I am GUILTY AS CHARGED and I'm still paying for that and I don't mind you telling about that as long as you tell the TRUTH and NOTHING MORE.

I've already sold several cannons on my web page and that was the FIRST time something like that ever happened. And it will be the LAST because I learned a valuable lesson from that also. Just to let you know, John, I never owned a single cannon I've sold and until my failed transaction with you, it has always worked out just fine.

Now, what I DON'T appreciate here is that you've ASSUMED that I am this Charles Standifer aka Chuck Wright aka ('bronzecannon' ID on the Gunbroker.com web site) guy who's running the bronzecannon.COM and the supercannonstore.com web sites. Because my web site is bronzecannons.NET you are not the first to confuse me with this guy. Also, because my ID on Gunbroker.com is 'bronzecannonS' I guess you didn't see the S on the end so again are confusing me with this guy. This is what I don't appreciate here.

If you go back to my www.bronzecannons.NET web site (NET is completely different from COM) and look at the bottom you will see the BIG BOLD WORDS;

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOLLOWING WEB SITES;
www.bronzecannons.com
www.cannonsuperstore.com

The reason why I did that was because of the fact that this is not the first time someone has CONFUSED me with these people! The guy who's running the scam operations you're looking for is CHARLES STANDIFER! OK! Not ME! I don't even know this guy and never met this guy but I do know he's been scamming many people for sometime. You're not the FIRST person to confuse me with this guy so that's exactly why I put that BIG NOTICE up on my web site.

So, John, if you want to keep smearing me for the non-delivery of that cannon that time then that's fine but PLEASE don't go around telling people that I'm someone else.

If you can't believe about the 1801 Spanish cannon I sold please contact;

Augi Garcia
Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC.
PO BOX 1964 / Winter Park, FL 32790
Email: augi@sedwickcoins.com
Web: www.SedwickCoins.com
Work cellular: 407.247.5699
Office phone: 407.975.3325

and let him tell you how happy they were with that cannon purchase.

Thank you very much for your time, John.
Tony Wells

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
If you are going to set the record straight as you said, then make sure people know that Paypal only refunded $200. of my money, the rest of it that YOU defaulted on I had to get from my credit card company.  So I have no idea what goes on between you and Paypal and really don't care, I'd just like the truth to be known that you stole about $2000. of my money, so let's not get that established fact mixed up with anything else please.

If you think I was a bit unhappy that you stole $2000. from me, and perhaps I mixed some personalities up due to similarities, you are correct.  When you stole my money, you joined their ranks as far as I was concerned, and forever buried any hope that a number of people would have of buying a cannon off internet, because every one of the "internet cannon sellers" of collectible cannons (the two you mention and you) has demonstrated dishonesty.

Offline Double D

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
Okay this issue is over with and has nothing to do with the activities of this board.  Thread is now to be locked.

John,

I just wanted to let everything you said about how you paid for the cannon and then how the deal didn't go through (I told you that the antique store suddenly raised the price) and how I only sent you back half of you money is absolutely TRUE. That was MY BIG mistake and I realize that. I cooperated 100% with paypal so you could claim back your money ASAP. I could have TOTALLY DISPUTED the entire thing just to delay you getting back your money but I did not do that. Just so you know, I still owe paypal that balance and still have to pay them one day when I can. Anyway, what I did was WRONG. I am GUILTY AS CHARGED and I'm still paying for that and I don't mind you telling about that as long as you tell the TRUTH and NOTHING MORE.

I've already sold several cannons on my web page and that was the FIRST time something like that ever happened. And it will be the LAST because I learned a valuable lesson from that also. Just to let you know, John, I never owned a single cannon I've sold and until my failed transaction with you, it has always worked out just fine.

Now, what I DON'T appreciate here is that you've ASSUMED that I am this Charles Standifer aka Chuck Wright aka ('bronzecannon' ID on the Gunbroker.com web site) guy who's running the bronzecannon.COM and the supercannonstore.com web sites. Because my web site is bronzecannons.NET you are not the first to confuse me with this guy. Also, because my ID on Gunbroker.com is 'bronzecannonS' I guess you didn't see the S on the end so again are confusing me with this guy. This is what I don't appreciate here.

If you go back to my www.bronzecannons.NET web site (NET is completely different from COM) and look at the bottom you will see the BIG BOLD WORDS;

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FOLLOWING WEB SITES;
www.bronzecannons.com
www.cannonsuperstore.com

The reason why I did that was because of the fact that this is not the first time someone has CONFUSED me with these people! The guy who's running the scam operations you're looking for is CHARLES STANDIFER! OK! Not ME! I don't even know this guy and never met this guy but I do know he's been scamming many people for sometime. You're not the FIRST person to confuse me with this guy so that's exactly why I put that BIG NOTICE up on my web site.

So, John, if you want to keep smearing me for the non-delivery of that cannon that time then that's fine but PLEASE don't go around telling people that I'm someone else.

If you can't believe about the 1801 Spanish cannon I sold please contact;

Augi Garcia
Daniel Frank Sedwick, LLC.
PO BOX 1964 / Winter Park, FL 32790
Email: augi@sedwickcoins.com
Web: www.SedwickCoins.com
Work cellular: 407.247.5699
Office phone: 407.975.3325

and let him tell you how happy they were with that cannon purchase.

Thank you very much for your time, John.
Tony Wells

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2009, 12:51:13 AM »
I concurr.  The facts have been displayed.  Any further discussion can happen between the individuals. 

(Sorry for bringing this to the top, it needs to be aired for a SHORT period of time and then we get back to 'normal'.)

The pain won't go away.  Not a lot can be done about that.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)