Author Topic: Carrierless 209 Breech Plug for Huntsman/Sidekick, Blackhorn 209 Compatable!  (Read 29378 times)

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
Can't wait!

I think you need to come up with a better name for this latest breech plug, something handier than "carrierless 209 breech plug, blackhorn compatable".

Was this Busta's vision/design or Nick's?

Lets see a name for this breech plug!
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Nick's, I just suggested the o-ring since I discovered it would work in my Hubbard plug. Nick hasn't given it an official name that I know of, but it has been referred to as the Metrics Unlimited or MU plug. 
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
MU= Mighty Unique Plug
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
I shot two Tripple Seven 50 gr. pellets over Win. 209 primers with excellent results, and about zero blowback.  That's what I had Handi.....er I mean handy.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I measured my Fiocchi 209 primers that I have been using in my omega they avg .296. Got my MU plug today hope to shoot it very soon might do it tomorrow if the winds lay some 30 mph today. Mine just barely has compression on the oring before the rim of the primer touches the plug, cant wait to see how it does.  ;D
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline bubba

Busta and Nick.  Your advice did the trick  I finished teaching my hunter safety class today and then to the range.  I tried the recently drilled out plug.  I shot two 50 grain clean shot pellets and a 25o grain saboted lead bullet and a triple 7 primer.  It shot well in fact seemed to have too much power.  The primers came out as easy as any breech plug I ever owned.  I usually shoot triple 7 loose powder, but was in a hurry.  Anyway I think I will look at backing the charge down a bit as it seems to be very powerful at 100 grains. I am thinking maybe 80 or 85 now. The primers were as clean as before they were fired  Anyway thanks again for the help and the great product.  The #60 orings from Lowes seem to be fine.  Now it is time to work up a load again lol.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
My plugs arrived today. I got the 5/8" for my Nef .50 and also bought a 7/8" to try in one of my older huntsmans that have the screw in plug one is a .45 and the other is one of the .58's all the rest are push in plugs. The 7/8" plugs screwed in fine but they are short the .45 is basically flat on the bottom with just the pin hole for ignition and the .58's have  about less than 3/16" hole for a little powder nothing like todays plugs with the larger holes that you can get about half your load in. Anyway I will be able to make it work by adding the needed spacer at the bottom when I figure out just what the distance needs to be. I might just as well try some of that new fangled powder now. Thanks Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
my plugs arrived yesterday - have not done any new load develpoment yet but they screwed in and fit perfect  the 5/8" in the 50 and the 7/8" in the 58 huntsman    both have perfect headspace and instant ignition.   planning on using goex or T7 about 85 grs with a full bore 50 cal 385 grain minnie and a 472 grain 58 cal minnie.  called nick with a HUGH thank you and to let him know that they fit perfect.    now to work up some loads     
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline bubba

I am on vacation until the 11th. After a little mornign turkey hunting, I pan ot take the sidekick and huntsman  and work up a good load for them both with the mu Plug.  I am thinking that the pressure jumoe dup maybe 10 percent, so a reduction by 10 percent of my charge maybe in order.  I will keep everyone posted. 

Molon Labe

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
Got to the range to try out my MU plug! Sure felt good to shoulder the old huntsman again. Everything worked great the only problem was a little Blowback seems mine is drilled out just a hair to deep with the supplied oring its just not enough compression to stop the gas totally. But it certainly was not a issue, primers all came out with just fingers. My best group was with 285gr spitfire and 100grs BH using w209 5 shots inside 1.50" 1st 3 1.125" next tc shockwave 250gr 95 grs BH 3 shots 1.250" with 100grs opened to 1.5" but could of been me for sure. But this gun has always been a good grouper with most any bullet except PB's just doesnt like them. Shot my omega while there and tried some easy loading crush ribs it didnt like them one bit 6" group at best with supplied yellow sabot it shot the 285gr spitfire at 1.5" 3 shots. TC SW 250gr also 1.5". The huntsman did OK with crush ribs but bullets just about fell down barrel, but it grouped the 285 gr bullet inside 1.75 I just felt it was to loose a fit didnt shoot them much. Both guns fire every shot instantly with the w209 primers using the BH! Going to try and find a little thicker oring for the MU plug very happy with it still much less Blowback that using the plastic skillet that comes with them.  ;D
Browning Illusion Bow
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Coop,

What primer are you using? [EDIT] Just went back and looked, I see you are using the Fiocchi. The Winchester W209 is the longest primer and will give you an average of .005"+ longer length over the CCI, Fed, Rem, Fiocchi. The problem with these Huntsman/Sidekicks are that no two are alike when it comes to headspace. Give the Win W209 a try, it might be just enough to take up the slack.

I am going to order some o-rings within the next couple days. I have been doing a little testing with modified plugs on some of my Knights as well with great results. I have discovered that there might be a better option, thinking outside the box, instead of using the standard round o-ring, I am going to try some square and quad cross-sectioned o-rings. I will let you guys know how they work out over the next couple weeks.

Here are cross sectioned pics of the square and quad o-ring.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#4061t111/=1ozoms

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90025k123/=1ozrnb

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
Thanks Busta I was using the Win w209 yesterday I had bought some based on your other post abut them being slightly longer. When I got the plug I noticed the fiocchi didnt seem to touch the oring the shoulder of the plug and the rim of the primer were touching when I dropped the primer in, if the primer was touching the oring I would expect the rim of primer to be slightly above top shoulder of plug. With both orings in it definitly touched but I could barely close the gun so I will try to find one just slightly thicker that should do the trick. But even with the oring not sealing the primer I really had very little blow back.
Browning Illusion Bow

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Coop,

Is the outside of the primers battery cup coming out clean? Some of these primers actually leak between the internal primer and the outer battery cup, this will make a little soot ring around the firing pin hole on the standing breech. Of course we are asking these primers to handle pressures that are about double or a little more than they were originally designed to do.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
Coop,

Is the outside of the primers battery cup coming out clean? Some of these primers actually leak between the internal primer and the outer battery cup, this will make a little soot ring around the firing pin hole on the standing breech. Of course we are asking these primers to handle pressures that are about double or a little more than they were originally designed to do.
Yes the outside of primers are pretty clean but the top of it is very black and there is quite a lot of powder burn all round the firing pin hole. Are u thinking the blowback is coming thru the primer and not around it? That might well be the case, with the larger flash hole. My omega I use the same load and get no Blowback what so ever but it has a smaller hole. But like I said earlier its not very bad its not getting on scope just a couple of patches and its cleaned up much better than with the orange disk.
Browning Illusion Bow

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
BTT for RealEstateBiker.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline k

• Trade Count: (6)
will the 7/8" plug work with a 1972 .45 huntsman?