Author Topic: Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT  (Read 1546 times)

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
Trying to decide...can get the Kel Tec for $269..the LCP for $299..opinions please. The only thing i'm considering is something light to carry in my pocket...Thanks

Offline mccleese

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P3AT
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »
I have never shot a LCP but have owned and carried a P3AT for 4 years and have never had a problem with it.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:06:57 AM »
Walther.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:30 AM »
Uhh...I was talking in my price range ;D

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:04:07 AM »
Kel-Tec imho is the equal to the Ruger.IIRC did they not just recall the LCP????   As to the Walther fine weapon, not worth the money. imho   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:36:02 AM »
I have a new KelTec P3AT and as long as you clean it and lube it properly it has worked for me.  I have heard that they no longer require the fluf and buff treatment to insure reliability and I believe it from what I have seen. 

The Ruger is very similar in design.  The biggest difference to me is that the Ruger has a "last shot hold open chamber" feature.   That can be a bid deal to some, to others it isn't a big deal.  To me it is not a big deal. 

To me I love my KelTec with two exceptions....(1) the trigger finger gets banged up with too much target practice (they are very small pistols and not much room for your trigger finger) and (3) .380 Auto ammo is in real short supply.  I reload and had loaded ammo and all the components on hand when I bought my KelTec, as I had some other .380 pistols.  I am having a hard time restocking my reloading components for the .380 and have practically given up on buying loaded .380 Auto.

You will likely be quite happy with either, just don't expect them to drop a moose at 100 yards with one shot.

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Well...it's all over but the shouting. The Kel Tec came in today(I was the 1st one on the list). Went up and picked it up, promptly went out and shot it. Ist shot went through a 2 1/2 inch thick phone book and shoots like a dream!!

They did something unique at this Hardware store..they had saved some of the hard to get 380 for those buying the P3AT's....Winchester 95 grain fmj with the more blunt nose. Love the easy trigger pull. One gun shop in the area wanted $369...got mine for $269. I may be wrong but I think I made the right choice and I really appreciate you guys giving your opinions....The guy at the hardware store says these are some of the fastest selling guns in America...Dave

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »
I think you will be very happy.  The gun shop was very thoughtful in reserving some ammo for purchasers.

You got a very fair price.  Make sure you frequent that gun store as they are looking out for their customers.  I paid for a new in the box P3AT earlier in the year $265 before sales tax or $289 out the door.

I advice I got was for pocket carry: clean it regularly, and lube the rails.  There is a guy over at the KTOG.org website who is an expert on KelTec maintenance.  He has a post on lubing the KelTec, that I recommend strongly.  http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm 

My first additional purchases were a KelTec brand extra magazine, some .380 Auto snap caps, and a small piece of leather to turn into a pocket hoster.  I really have been surprised as how easy it is to carry this samll and light weight wonder.  I really feel it is safe with one in the chamber. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »
The DeSantis Nemesis is a heck of a deal on a pocket holster. About $15, does everything a pocket holster is supposed to do. Mine has seen a lot of use over the years. Still looks new. I have two first gen P3ATs. They continue to serve well. Keep yours clean and lubed, and don't plan on putting thousands of rounds thru it. It will serve you well.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »
You guys are right on!! I plan on keeping it clean and lubed (it's so easy to do!). I bought some Hornady dry lube the other day and am going to give that a whirl. I wont be shooting this easily concealed gun but just enough to get comfortable with it and then just occasionally.

One thing I noticed right away was how easy it was to point and shoot with this little 380. I just bought the P 11 about 2 weeks ago and I think I like this one better! I have revolvers in almost every caliber but these are the first auto's i've ever owned above 25 cal. It's also the only auto that i've felt safe with around in the chamber. My wife says "where's the saftey"....LOL! Thanks guys for all your tips and opinions....Dave

Offline jdickey

• Pro Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
IMO....I'd rate them about equal, although the LCP has endured two recalls.

However, you should also consider the BERSA THUNDER .380...good, reliable weapon for about $279.00 in most places!
The only easy day...was yesterday!

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
Again,-----I've heard lots of good stuff about the Bersa. It's just not in the same class as the much lighter, smaller, easily concealed KT/LCP.  KT and Kahr make a 9mm that is smaller and lighter than the Bersa .380.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jdickey

• Pro Staff Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
The Kahr is not as inexpensive a gun, however!
Bersa does make a conceal carry .380 also, but still not as light as the LCP.  The LCP would be the best choice if looking for a light weight weapon; just has that RECALL CLOUD hanging over it!

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:21:18 AM »
I'm so impressed with this P3AT that I forgot I bought a P11 a couple of weeks ago...it's pretty small itself...I like that 11 round capacity for sure. Anybody know the fps of a Winchester 95 grain fmj fn for the P3AT? Anyone tested?. Some of you have mentioned different brands but when I laid hands on this P3AT I knew right away it was for me (didn't even consider anything else),plus my fingers are not that big so that helps.

Offline jdickey

• Pro Staff Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »
Hope this helps!  Enjoy that pocita pistola! ! !

Handgun Ballistics
Distance (yds)    Velocity (fps)    Energy (ft.lbs.)
Muzzle                955         190    -
50                  865           160    -

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »
 the kel tec .380 in my opinion requires as much practice as any other gun ,to be used for protection..where you gonna find the ammo to really get to know your gun.. but good luck. slim
 ps don t limpwrist it. :)

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
Tried the Hornady dry lube on its 1st cleaning this morning....that stuff is good!! Leaves a nice lubed surface and doesn't attract foreign matter...it seems to slide a little easier. Took your advice Savage and got the DeSantis holster (came in today)...what a difference it makes carrying in the front pocket!! I know ammo is hard to get right now...Bass Pro shop is starting to get more in now....thanks again guys for all the comments/suggestions etc. ....Dave

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 01:32:19 AM »
 one more time keep a good strong wrist while shooting..critical with mine

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 03:10:26 AM »
Slim...I always do...even the instructions say that...good point and it does make a difference while firing. I like firing it with my fingerless motorcycle gloves...great padding!! ;D

Offline walnutred

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
I have a P32 and a P11. I really like the pocket clip for the P32. I use a very thin pocket holster to keep pocket lint from the pistol. However I actually carry the pistol clipped to my pocket.

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
I saw the belt clips on Kel Tec's sight and probably will get one for the winter months...pretty neat idea. How do they attach to the gun?

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:54 AM »
I have the LCP and carry it all day every day.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I put the Crimson Trace laser on mine which makes a big difference since the sights are all but nonexistant.  It shoots a 6" group at 15 yards and functions flawlessly with all ammo I put through it.  Mine was older so I had to send it back to have some parts changed but can't complain about that either.  Sent it in on a Monday and had it back on Friday with another magazine and a hat.

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 03:17:18 AM »
How much did it cost you to send it back Rick? I've been keeping my P3AT with me 24/7 and most of the time I forget it's with me because of being so light...Dave

Offline ricktile66

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »
Didn't cost anything.  They sent a mailer when they were ready for it and I just dropped it off at UPS.

Offline U S Male

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 05:06:53 AM »
That's cheap enough!!