Author Topic: Setting the record straight "A shooting in Montana, a CCW involved"  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Markxman

• Trade Count: (0)
This is in reference to a Posting "A shooting in Montana, a CCW involved" posted on January 19th, 2009, by Mr. Gary Marbutt of the Montana Shooting Sports Association.
     1.  Mr. Gary Marbutt should learn to keep his mouth shut until he has the facts straight and not jump to any quick conclusions.  The reason he jumped all over this story is because of the legislation that was being run through the Montana Legislature the same time that the shooting in Glasgow Montana happened.  According to eye wittness accounts from the legislature, he used Mr. Billingsley's name quite frequently while pushing a gun bill through which dealt with conceal carry, self protection and other uses of weapons in the state.

2.  Mr. Marbutt never contacted nor made any attemtp to contact Mr. Billingsley concerning.  He just ran on hearsay.

3.  Mr. Billingsley's weapons were in his vehicle and in a manner that did not require the use of a CCW.  He did not carry any of his weapons on his person into the medical facility at any time.  This was presumed to be the case by some who have read and responded to Mr. Marbut's Flash News Report.  Mr. Billingsley did not have nor need a CCW.

4.  Mr. Billingsley did engage the shooter with his 9mm pistol over a distance of about 80 yards,firing one shot but quickly abandoned that weapon for the 308 hunting rifle in his vehicle.  No shots were fired from that weapon because his wife could see law enforcement vehicles turning down the street leading to the hospital.  Mr. Billingsley did have the shooter in his scope twice, once getting shot in the left hand as he was holding the rifle and aiming at the suspect.

5. Evidently all the gun organizations fight for our gun rights must have learned that Mr. Billingsley's rifle that he used was a single shot break action rifle and lost any interest because it is not an AR based rifle or some other type of semi auto based rifle which seems to be their main focus. 

6.  I know these facts to be true, except for #5. 

I am Scott Billingsley and I was involved in the hospital shooting that happened in Glasgow Montana, Saturday afternoon, January 17th, 2009.  I am a regular reader of GBO and have made a couple posts about some misc stuff in the past.  Stumbling in to Mr. Marbutt's report the other evening has prompted me to make this post.  I had been told about this post by many people but actually seeing the post for the first time Sunday evening rather got me going.

Yes, I do know how to spell Mr. Marbut's name correctly.  Maybe he should also learn to spell others correctly.

Attached, Hopefully, are several different links to news papers and tv news articles.  They might provide any answers or clairity to this paticular subject.

Respectfully,
       Scott E. Billingsley

http://billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/05/19/news/state/18-tinquest.txt

http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/45368587.html

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?s=10389649

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Setting the record straight "A shooting in Montana, a CCW involved"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:58:47 AM »
Scott:  How's your hand healing up?????

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:02:10 AM »
Well done Mr. Billingsley.
your actions probably delayed this persons escape long enough
for the authorities to finish the job. Just the reason civilians need to be armed.
That idiot could have also gotten into the hospital and wreaked all manner
of damage if you had not engaged him! God only knows how many he could
have killed! You may have saved a lot of lives that day.
I hope you and your wife have fully recovered!
  God Bless!
      S.Sumner
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 07:27:47 AM »
 this a very angry man... but people telling lies about me can make me a very angry man also..
 as to the original post.. i just glanced at it,so cant comment..slim.

Offline RipOne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:55 AM »
Mr. Billingsley more likely than not, did step forward and save lives that day.
David L Hunt ... Breath 1-2-3 Pulse-Pull

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
I commend you for being a responsible and courageous citizen.  Our country needs more like you.

Thanks for sharing that info.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story.I must say,you are a "better man" than me cause if I'd had him in my scope w/ a .308 I'm afraid I would have dropped the hammer on him..........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"