Author Topic: cutting down a vent rib barrel?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
cutting down a vent rib barrel?
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:32:09 AM »
Just wondering has anyone ever cut down a vent rib barrel on a shotgun, and does this cause any problems with it.

the reason I ask is a am thinking of ordering a couple of vent rib barrels from the acc program and would like to have a short one for rabbit hunting and coyotes, probably cut it to 20-22" range, then have it rethreaded.

The vent rib lines up so much better than the plain barrel, that is why im askin, just like it a lot better.

and I love to get the trap gun stock set for one as well, those are just plain sweet, but the trap gun is mucho spendy by itself, $379 at my local, that has one atm.

Thanks

Dave

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: cutting down a vent rib barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »

Dave,

I don't know about cutting one down as it id definitely beyond my skill level, but I will tell you that the vent rib H&R is bar none the best shotgun I've ever had. It just fits me like a glove. I have the Deluxe 12 ga and have thought about sending it back for a 20 ga. barrel to go with it but then I think why when the 12 is so good.

You might try the Deluxe version instead of the trap and see how that does for you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 04:31:22 PM »
thanks for the reply

I wasnt going to get the Trap, or at least I dont think IM going to  :P never know
the dang thing was just sweet to shoulder, I want a set of those stocks just fit too nice.

Ive had a TDC on backorder for longer than I can remember, My guy cant seem to find one, and he basically lucked out on the 2 traps he has had and the first one went very very quickly he said.

I was actually going to send in one of my other frames in to get fit for a pair of the 28" VR barrels and then just have one of them cut down fairly short, can use the rib riders to mound optics/sites and its just nicer with or without sites.
 the other Im keeping long for Upland game.

If its a major pain to cut em, then Ill just do with my plain barrel.

Dave

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:25:46 PM »
Your guy isn't looking in the right places. There are 3 20ga TDC on gunbroker right now. I'm sure there are 12ga out there too.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »
yeah he has no problem with the 20ga, Just the 12ga that Im looking for, so far no dice.

but I dont think Itll be that big of a deal to have one of my other receivers fitted, or at least I dont think so, ive heard some good some bad about the accry program as of late.

We will see.

thanks for the reply

Dave