Author Topic: swift rifle scopes  (Read 1683 times)

Offline kimark

• Trade Count: (0)
swift rifle scopes
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
Looking at putting a quality scope on my 223 ultra varminter in the $200-$300 range.  Beem reading some good things about the Swift Premier Line.  Anyone have experience with them? Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: swift rifle scopes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:59:18 PM »
I think you need to decide if you want a QUALITY scope or a Swift I don't see them as being the same at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kimark

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
Perhaps my question should have been what are good quality 4-18 variable scopes in the $200-$300 range?

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »
I would look at the Nikon Buckmaster and Elite 3200.  They will be a bit more than $300, but certainly well worth it.  With scopes, you generally get what you pay for.

Zachary

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
Greybeard doesn't like Swift.  I don't know why? I've heard some good things about them. Maybe he has a personal experience.  I would like to know.  I often wondered about the Swift line but went with what I know. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:04 AM »
In the $200-$300 price range you have a lot of options with good quality scopes. The usual big names like Leupold, Bushnell, Nikon and Burris all have scopes in that price range to chose from as does Mueller which offers a lot of value for the bucks plus a life time warranty.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »
Kimark, my son had a Swift Premier 6-18X(50?) scope on his model 12 Savage 22/250 for a short time.  When looking through the scope at the lower end of magnification it was fairly clear but when I would turn up the power the glass reminded of me of looking through a coke bottle.  I bought a 22/250 of my own and was going to put a Burris SignatureSelect 6-24X50 on it as I had my mind made up, but when I was at Garrettson's in Greeley, Co. with my other son I had the opportunity to look through both the SigSelect and also the Burris BlackDiamond.  There was no comparison between the two when they were turned up to full magnification.   I didn't buy the scope right then but later opted for the BD and wouldn't part with that scope for another as it was well worth the extra $275.   There have been times when I bought the lesser priced item to "make do" and ended up practically giving it away then buying what I really wanted.   I would recommend you buy a decent scope the first time because you will keep it a long time, as I don't consider the Swift scope of decent optical quality.  Just my opinion and $.02 on this subject.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:29:54 AM »
Ive got a Swift 4X12 AO on my Rem 700 .223. Seems to be fairly clear, havent had any problems with it so far.  I havent had it out in bad weather yet, As far as fogging up, dont know yet.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline SteveC99

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
As demands for magnification increase and expectations of what we want to pay decrease, the gap between what we want and what we get can be substantial.  At your price range you will likely get a better scope if you can drop away from your 18x upper end requirement.  At that price range I'd stay with a 12-14x upper end.  14x is the top end on my .223 scope.  Even for little Oregon Ground Squirrels I seldom feel the need for more than 12x.

Steve

"Do what you can where you are with what you have":  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:23:40 PM »
For that matter a 3X9 is plenty. Ive got a 4X12 cause it came with the gun, All my other scopes are 2X7 or 3X9
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline kimark

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »
Thanks for all the input folks.  I live in Indiana and want ths ultra to be a woodchuck/coyote gun.  I have it topped with a old Bushnell Scopechief 4-12X40.  It's seems to have a little haze to it and any setting over about  10X is to fuzzy for me.  Have a SMI muzzleloader that I put a Nikon Prostaff with BDC on.  Took a Buck at 225 yds,  couldn't be happier with the view thru it but it only comes in 3-9.  I like the Buckmaster and the Elite but would like to stay under 300.  Around here it's all about deerhunting and with the economy being what it is the big box stores and the gun dealers are only stocking what they feel will move so it's tuff to do any comparison shopping or even buy target/varmint scopes.  I'm having trouble getting good groups with my 223 but I picked up a 243 stevens savage that I know will get the job done with a good scope. 

Offline CWT

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »
I have some Swift's on 17HMR's and I think they are a nice scope in that price range. They have a lifetime warranty.

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »
I have a Swift 4-12X50 on my BAR 30-06 and LOVE it. Never had a problem. Lots of light and it has been thru heck.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
I just put a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X tactical on my latest 223 project. It is in the $200 range - some places less and some places a little more. I also live in Indiana and I find that 10X is all I need for even long distance shooting. I have no trouble seeing a Wood Chuck out to 400 yards or a coyote out to 500 yards. There are mil-dots which helps with judging distance and they are rugged. I can use it up close too. A little out of focus when real close, but you do not have to be real precise when your target is that close. I shot a wood chuck at about 7 yards with a 10X scope - well I sighted down the barrel really, but it worked. I have also shot red winged black birds at 250 yards with a 10X scope (an old Bushnell Banner with BDC). That was a long time ago, I really hesitate about shooting in the air now that I am older and a little wiser. That is a small target out that far, but it can be seen through the scope and you can connect with it too. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline kimark

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:20 AM »
LaOtto222,  Good to hear from you.  Had seen your user name on the nef forum when I first found this site.  I'm a old LaOtto boy myself, live west of Avilla now.  As I recall your pretty familar with the Handi-rifles,  would like to pick your brain alittle on that subject if you don't mind.  You can contact me at 897-2356.  I'd like to get something set-up on either my Ultra or my 200 Stevens,  won't be long and those little critters will be running around again.

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
I have several Swift scopes, and feel they are a good value for the money. The problem with the higher magnification scopes in many cases is the adjustable objective. I have seen many lower quality scopes that seem to fuzz up above 9-10 power unless the parallax setting is right on. Better quality scpes seem to have much less problem in this area. The two 4.5-14 Swift's I have seem clear thru the magnification range, and have held zero well, although they are on light kickers (.25-06 and 6.5x55). If you shop around, there are a lot of scopes in your price range, but don't discount the Swift's.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
I personally do not own a Swift scope but a freind of mine does. He has one mounted on a S&W 44 mag revolver for over 6 years now. No problems and it looks clear and bright to me. If it can hold up to the that recoil, it can't be a bad scope.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
My family has been using Swift binoculars since the late 1950's because they are clear, durable and very economical. About 6 years ago I bought my first Swift scope, a 4x30. Since then, I've added three more. A 1.5x-4.5x20, a 1.75x-5x30, a 3x-9x30. I have had Lymans and Weavers and Redfields and had good luck with all of them. I like the Swifts and have yet to pay $100 for one. I like my Leupolds, also, I have three of them. My two Redfields, a 3x-9x30WF and a 1.75x-5x20WF, are both 31 years old and still give good service; the Burris 1.75x-5x20 is 34 years old and still crystal clear. Both Weaver k2.5's got fogged up and sent back a couple times, though they were used over 50 years.
Granted, none of my scopes are considered varmint scopes and only two go to 9x. You are looking at 'working class scopes' or you would be including Shepherds, Zeiss and a host of others with quality-glass price tags. I've used all kinds of glass in my work as a Surveyor. If you spend all day looking through cheap glass, it will make you dizzy and nausus. I once had a spotting scope that made me sick enough to need a day off from elk hunting.
Maybe I've been lucky with my Swifts, and maybe it's because they are all low-power scopes. Don't know. I believe I would give them a long look if I were shopping for a varmint scope - and questioning my pals at the local shooting range and on these Forums...as you are doing.  There are choices. Good Luck!

Regards.
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
How about a link to some Swift scopes so I can see what they have to offer.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
I know this is a bit of a change but I was at the local gun shop and they had a Weaver Grand Slam. It looked bright and clear edge to edge even on the highest power setting. Seemed pretty darn good.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 04:40:36 PM »
I just buy good used Weavers at gun shows

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:41 PM »
take a look at nikko sterling scopes
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline olereb1

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
I have a 3x9x40 Swift and a 4X. I have never had a problem with either. The 4X was on a 450 Marlin. I also have Leupold and Nikon. the nikon is great also. I put a VX1 3x9 on my CZ 375. Have not used it yet.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
I have a Swift Premier 2-7x40. I love this scope. It has a very wide angle of view, it is bright and sharp, the view is flat and sharp almost to the edge. This scope works very well in low light and the reticle is very visible and easy to aim with regardless of light conditions. Somehow the reticle turns into a brown or amber color when aiming into low light. I have used this scope for hunting before dawn and after dusk and it works well for the legal 30 minutes before and after, but not more than that.
This is a sturdy scope. It has withstood 200 shots on my muzzleloader. It has been dropped 3 times. No problem. The adjustments work the way they are supposed to, they track up and down, as opposed to shifting POI on a diagonal, as in poor quality scopes. In fact, after i shoot the muzzleloader, i take the barrel with the scope to the sink and shower them with soap and water. No problems. 
The nice side of this scope is that it has 3.2" of eye relief and very wide angle of view at 2x and aiming with both eyes open is fast and comfortable, which is what i usually do. The uggly side of this scope is that at higher power it has 2.8" of eye relief and that is not enough for a hard recoiling gun. Also, at high power of 6x and 7x it is not quite as sharp as it is 2x or 4x. 
I can compare this $160 scope with a Zeiss Conquest which i have and i can say that optically it holds it's own well, but not when it comes to considering the limitations of shorter eye relief and eye placement.
Overall, i would say that this is a very good buy for $160. The view at 2x and 3x is excellent (wide, bright, and sharp). However, i would buy a different Swift Premier model, with longer eye relief (that also makes mounting and operating the scope easier). 

Offline skyhigh_seller

• Trade Count: (57)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 01:58:18 AM »
Look at the Weaver Classic Extreme Natchez has had them on closeout under $300.  I think they are a lot of scope.  If the 30mm tube and big objective work for you these are unbeatable.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 03:12:20 AM »
I have a couple of Leupold 4X12 VX1 and they're very good scopes. In addition the Leupold customer support and lifetime warranty is becoming an industry Icon.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.