Author Topic: I cast some bullets!  (Read 642 times)

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
I cast some bullets!
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »
Unfortunately they suck.  :-[  Pictures to come when they aren't so hot to touch.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I cast some bullets!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »
Casting takes some time, but getting the basics down up front helps, make sure the mold is hot when you start, otherwise it takes a lot of running lead thru it to get it up to temp and all those bullets will be rejects, (I prefer to recycle them as they're done so it doesn't change the pot temp much, a bigger pot makes a difference here too), preheating works wonders, if the mold isn't close to the temp of the casting metal, you'll get wrinkled bullets, once the mold is up to temp and the lead is the right temp, fluxed and cleaned of dross, you'll get a much nicer casting. The bigger the bullet, the more critical keeping things hot is too.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lefty Dude

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
A casting temp gauge is very helpful, as is a 20 lb. pot.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »
Wow.  I am stunned.  Made some more bullets this morning, they measured about .455.  Oh well, lubed em and shot them at 100 yards.  1" groups, and my scope (old Redfield) is just GOD AWFUL.  It was so fuzzy and horrible looking.  I never noticed how bad it was before.  I held over about 20 feet (estimate) and was within inches of a water bottle at 400 yards at least 6 shots.  I shot 11 shots at it.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
  Well done tyke! Soon you'll be spending a LOT of time sweating over that hot pot!