Author Topic: Value question....help!!! Need info soon!  (Read 614 times)

Offline RealEstateBiker

• Trade Count: (0)
Value question....help!!! Need info soon!
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:47:52 AM »
Okay....as most of you know, I was looking at a NEF muzzleloader.

Today, I think I hit the motherload.

I found a NEF with synthetic stock, although that I am not crazy about that type, with A LOT of other barrels.  So, I come here to the all knowing members to help me set a value.

-NEF receiver that looks brand new, synthetic stock.
-Extra thumbhole type synthetic stock
-muzzle loader barrel
-.223 rem barrel
-.243 win barrel
-30-06 barrel
-12 gauge barrel
-3 scopes
-all manuals and information

They had it priced for $599....sound like a good deal?

HELP!!!!!  Let me know what you think.  I do not know the age of it, but it looked pristine.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
Re: Value question....help!!! Need info soon!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »
I would be careful to check that all of those extra barrels fit. from what I understand they have to be hand fitted to each reciever.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
 Check out the receiver type too. If it's an SB1 you'll need an SB2 for sure for the rifle calibers and if it takes a lot of hand fittng for each barrel,because they could each be different,you will have gotten the mother of all lodes!  Amongst other things . Maybe it was a house cleaning.     Ken 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »
What John said + I would make sure it is a SB2 receiver. If the barrels were fitted at the factory, they should have the last 3 numbers from the serial # of the receiver engraved on the barrel lug that locks in the receiver. If the rifle barrels have them last 3, then you know that the receiver is a SB2. The second letter in the serial# will tell you what year it was manufactured, check the center-fire FAQ's for all years and information.

The set-up is only worth what you are willing to pay, if you want all of the barrels and they are pristine and factory fitted, then I would say it is a good deal. If they are not factory fitted, or the receiver is not a post 1999 SB2, then it isn't worth anything as a combo. The center fire rifle barrels and the muzzleloader barrel w/forend are worth approximately $100/ea, the shotgun barrel around $50, other stock $25-$50 depending if it is a tamer, survivor, ultra varmint. The receiver, if SB2 $75-100, synthetic stocks approx $50.

The big factor in this would be the 3 scopes and rings. If they are cheapies, they add nothing, but if they are quality scopes and rings, then that is where you pick up the value.

Of course if you were to try to build this same combo from 1 $250 center fire rifle you would probably have $750+, then add whatever the scopes and rings cost. Not to mention what could be a nightmare of sending your rifle to the Remington plant in Illion.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline RealEstateBiker

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »
Well.....that's as clear as muddy water....LOL

I did not know all of that info so thanks for the education....I guess I can print it and take it in the shop with me to refer to.

Everything looked matched, but I did not try each barrel.  I would think they were matched and fit as the person who brought it in brought it as a package....and why would someone buy all those items that didn't fit together?

I will try to get some more info before moving forward...never knew the NEF system was so complicated. 

The reason I was interested is it covers such a broad spectrum of everything in one package.

Ok, back to the drawing board.

Offline RealEstateBiker

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
Well, after reading many of the FAQ pages...I am still confused.  This should not be this hard...I mean really.  I am thinking that I should just stick with seperate guns for seperate calibers.....this "one size fits all" thing seems to be more trouble than its worth unless I am not understanding as I should...

:-\

Offline PAndy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:45:34 AM »
I paid $400 last winter for a Handi with a .50 caliber ML barrel and a .243 barrel... and a 2x7 Leupold scope.  I thought it was a good value, but I think it had been for sale a while.  The scope increased the price, but was the main attraction for me.  So I have a good centerfire rifle for my kids to learn on,  and I get the muzzleloader I had been watching for.
PAndy

There isn't a Parallel of Latitude but thinks it would have been the Equator if it had had its rights.  --Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:11 AM »
PAndy,

I would say you did real good with the Leupold in the deal. One thing about them scopes is they have a  lifetime warranty, no matter who owns it, or how many times it changes hands. Gives you a lot of confidence in your purchse.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member