Author Topic: Gas Checks  (Read 818 times)

Offline Sky Pup

• Trade Count: (0)
Gas Checks
« on: December 20, 2003, 06:04:17 AM »
Many years ago a company, I believe it was TAPCO, put out a tool for making "gas checks" out of pop cans.  Anyone know where one could be obtained?  Also, were there some problems in using that method?  It doesn't seem to have been around for very long.  Or was it just a case of more trouble than it was worth?  Thanks.

Offline Sky Pup

Gas Checks
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 06:19:25 AM »
Thanks Aladin.  I figured that was the reason.  I guess if someone has the tool, I still might like to buy it just to play around with.
Corbin makes good stuff, but his prices are more than I care to pay.  Especially for tools to make gas checks.  The Hornady product and pricing meets my needs just fine.

Offline Castaway

Gas Checks
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 06:47:01 AM »
A company called Hanned Line makes the dies also.  I checked into it and it was beyond my price range.  Too bad, I seem to always have some aluminum cans lying around.

Offline Sky Pup

Gas Checks
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 10:59:03 AM »
Thanks, I'l check out the Hanned Line.  Do you suppose the better grade of beer (cans) will make better gas checks?  ;-)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Gas Checks
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 11:18:55 AM »
Sky Pup -

Check the direction of twist of the rifling - you might have to use Australian beer cans.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Sky Pup

Gas Checks
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 11:25:12 AM »
Thanks.  That completely slipped my mind.  Gosh, I hope my twist is correct.  If I have to use Australian beer cans, I'm outa luck.  Never tasted an Australian beer that I would consider good quality.  If the twist is wrong, it looks like I'd be confined to a life of mediocre accuracy. ;-)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Gas Checks
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 12:00:24 PM »
The Hanned line WAS (note past tense?) an advertiser on this site but sadly they went belly up. I've not bothered to remove the banners yet as their paid period is not yet over.

If you will contact me OFF LINE not on the forums I will give you the new contact info to e-mail Dennis Smith the former owner and see if he still has any stock of these to sell or if not perhaps he could tell you if some company bought out the remaining stock he had on hand. Since he no longer runs the company I'm not gonna put out his contact info in public on forums unless he requests I do so but will give it to you if you contact me via e-mail or PM to do so.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

Gas Checks
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 09:08:44 PM »
I got a friend that claims he has punches that you can do this with my question is? Is it safe for the barrel? Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Sky Pup

Gas Checks
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 03:21:51 AM »
jh45gun:  Good question.  I wouldn't think so, but then I don't know.  Is the temperature produced by the burning powder hot enough to melt or burn the aluminum?  Or, is the duration so short that it wouldn't have any effect?  Would there be any smearing on the rifling as there can be with a copper based bullet or gas check?  If so, would it build up?  I know the tools disappeared from the market.  There may have been more than one reason for that.  I have found out they're pretty expensive, if they can be found.  My quest for answers and tools continues....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Gas Checks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 06:38:50 AM »
Dennis Smith formerly the CEO and I think owner of The Hanned Line an advertiser on this site still has some of these left over I believe. The equipment is called Freechec MKII and is priced at $130 and is available in 30, 9mm/357/358, .44, ..45 Pistol, .45 Rifle, .41. Contact info for Dennis is as follows:

Dennis A. Smith
4463 Madoc Way
San Jose, CA 95130

408-370-6420

Dennis pays the shipping on these at this price.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!