Author Topic: new guy/question  (Read 536 times)

Offline rmorgan736

• Trade Count: (0)
new guy/question
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
HI hope all of tou are well'

i hail from ca. and i have a question to ask i have an 1858 buffalow pistole in 44 caliber it is the only big caliber i have it seems too pack a punch would this save my but from a bear if need be.
also how long can you leave one loaded without causing dammage.

thanx         bob.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
Re: new guy/question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »
Is it brass, steel or stainless?  Brass frame guns require lighter loads, as the brass frames will stretch and loosen with heavy loads.  I personally wouldn't carry one for bear defense.  I carry a Ruger B/p as a back up and finishing gun during B/p season.  In Ky. it's legal.  I've personally had my Ruger loaded for up to a year without any problem, but it's stainless and for prolonged loaded storage I place a fiber wad under the ball and top lube with bore butter.  With bear, even black, you want a large hole and penetration.  The B/p pistols make a large hole, but lack the penetration for bear.  They all seem to shoot most accurate with round balls, due to the twist rate of the rifling.  The round balls are lighter than most conicals.  Welcome to B/p and enjoy your buffalo gun.  If you cast; b/p can be cheaper than shooting 22's, with a lot more bang.

Offline rmorgan736

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »
thanx yes it has a brass frame i never go over 28-30 graines usually a ljttle less i love the 12 inch barrel jt js big fun.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:41:33 AM »
how long can you leave one loaded without causing dammage.

Indefinitely.  It is the residue from the burnt powder that eats up the metal, not the undisturbed gunpowder.   Old guns from the late 1800's have been found still loaded and fired when discharged.

As far as protection against bear?  I've seen .44cal round balls bounce off of blackjack oak stumps 10 feet straight back towards the shooter.    It'd surely be an exciting experience.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:18:26 AM »
You could do some serious damage to a black bear with this pistol, with maximum powder charge and a conical.
For God's sake, stay away from the shoulder and make a lung shot, a few in the lungs would probably kill him, eventually.
Still, I would prefer a big smokeless powder pistol to take on a bear.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:54 AM »
I would also go large cal. smokless for any bear.  I have a Ruger Old Army and have loaded 45gr of 4f b/p for testing and smashing gallon jugs of water, but even with the 45gr against a bear I'd feel under gunned.  The 44 ball out of a pistol just doesn't pack enough wallop and penetration will be limited.  I use it for rabbits and vermin and as a backup for deer in b/p season, legal here in Ky.