Author Topic: Old Dueling Pistol brought home from WWII  (Read 644 times)

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Old Dueling Pistol brought home from WWII
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:42:37 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find more information about this gun, if any one has ideas of where to go/look or any information themselves would be great.  My grandfather brought it back from WWII and gave the matching pistol to his brother who in turned sold it...Anyone have any idea of its worth or where to look would be great.

Thanks!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Old Dueling Pistol brought home from WWII
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:19:23 AM »
Very interesting.  It is not a "dueling pistol", the small size and small caliber rules that out. It appears to perhaps be a breechloader of .22 or 6mm, just guessing. I think perhaps it may be what was called a "saloon pistol" for short range indoor target shooting and most likely fired some odd-ball rimfire cartridge of small caliber.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Biohazard Monk

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:22:02 AM »
Any idea of how much it is worth or where I could go to find the information?

Offline longcaribiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:29:56 AM »
That looks like one of the old "gas light" pistols or "saloon guns"   that would have been shot indoors to about 30 feet.  Hard to believe that in some taverns and drinking halls, folks would have target shooting matches, like some taverns have dart lanes. 

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 03:13:09 AM »
In this context the word "saloon" doesn't refer to a tavern but to the parlor of a Victorian era home. Sorry but I have no idea what such a pistol may be worth.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline longcaribiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
For nearly 100 years, shooting competitions were held inside taverns with "zimmer stutzens" both rifles and pistols.