Author Topic: A good reason to follow the manuals  (Read 512 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
A good reason to follow the manuals
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
Here is an example of doing the right things for the situation at hand, but having it all turn out wrong.  I was loading .223 for my TC Contender.  To assemble the 'most accurate' loads for the gun, I minimun sized the cases so the TC would just close on the case.  A safe powder charge (25.5 gr of AA 2520, below max) was loaded which was recommended by a friend as very accurate in his TC.  Then the 50 gr bullets were loaded out just short of the rifling.  It was a safe, accurate, load that took many woodchucks.  So I loaded up 500 of them.  Then my tastes changed and I only fired another 20 rounds while hunting (most one shot kills).  Last year I sold the TC and picked up an AR.  Hey, I have lot's of ammo so I'm all set right?  Nope!  I found myself with 480 rounds of ammo loaded up that I could not use. 
Since they were not crimped for the TC, I seated the bullets to proper overall length and crimped them.  (No, it was still safe with the bullets seated deeper)  So, now I'm good to go, right?  Wrong.  While the minimun sizing worked for the TC, the cases would not chamber reliably in the Bushmaster.  Some would fire, some would not. 
So now we need to resize all of this loaded ammo.  Running them through the sizing die will not work as the die would also try to reduce the necks.  So a call to my buddy Mikie and I found I needed a 'body die' to resize the loaded ammo.  I got one and went to work.  I can blame the next problem on old age, or the fact that 99% of my loading is for handguns with carbide dies.  I failed to lube the cases.  Well the seventh round stuck in the die.  So now I have to pull the bullet, get the powder out, render the primer inert, and pull the stuck case.  Long story short, I have now resized the 80 rounds in the first box and they are running through the AR very well. 
The lesson learned; I will not load this many of a 'specialty' load ever again.  Any 'mass' loading I do will be 'by the book' as to sizing and seating depth!  This was way too much work!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A good reason to follow the manuals
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »
i think yu got a good point, ive found out the same thing over the years.never know when yu might buy a new gun or want to pitch a handfull of rouns to your buddy to sight in his new rifle. about the only rifle specific rounds i load any more are for my 6.5 swede sporter.even those could just have the bullets seated a little deeper and would be good in any other 6.5.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:04:19 PM »
Yep good lesson.  Pull the bullets and start over.

yooper77

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »
When ever you do not fully resize for another rifle, you are just taking a chance they will fit. If you happen to go from a "tight" chamber to a sloppier one, you are OK, but definitely not back. I do not load up a bunch of rounds unless I know I am going to shoot them up. I recently when on a PD hunt so I loaded up 500 rounds for each of my rifles. Normally, I load in 50 round lots, once I find a good load.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:23:21 AM »
Exactly why I full length size with a small base die for any ammo that might be used in business guns, or in multiple guns. My business ammo simply must function in any weapon I might use them in.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:41:01 AM »
It was still a decent idea as I thought the TC would be my 'chuck' handgun forever.  Turns out I can no longer 'precision shoot' with a handgun.  But the lesson is well learned.  All ammo will be loaded to factory specs, and available to all guns.  If it shoots better in one that's a bonus.  Thanks all.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »
I neck size for alot of different guns which mean they are exclusive for that gun. I learned back in the 1970`s if you sell or trade that gun that all the ammo goes with it. I did some tradeing the other day with a guy. We traded 2 guns and I gave him ammo and brass for both and he gave me ammo and brass for both. We also traded dies for both. So far that`s the simplest way I`ve found to do it. Anyone intrested in a fine tuned gun will appreciate that kind of a deal.