Author Topic: 270 carbine loads??  (Read 556 times)

Offline ardeekay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
270 carbine loads??
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »
I just picked up a short (18.5") barreled rifle in 270.  I have been using 4831 and 4350 in my other 270, with a 22" bbl.,  my question is should I try faster powder for the shorter barrel ??  Bob

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: 270 carbine loads??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:23:56 PM »
I just picked up a short (18.5") barreled rifle in 270.  I have been using 4831 and 4350 in my other 270, with a 22" bbl.,  my question is should I try faster powder for the shorter barrel ??  Bob

no this is a MYTH that won't die.

Look at handgun data vs rifle data for high powered rifle cartridges and you'll notice that in terms of velocity 9 times in 10 the best performing propellants in a 24" rifle are still top dawg in a 15" hand cannon.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
Krocus is right, even Jack O'Connor himself subscribed to this faulty theory.  But velocity is not always the final goal - those slow powders that give the highest velocities also have the highest muzzle pressures.  High muzzle pressures can - sometimes - contribute to poor accuracy, particularly if the crown is not perfect.  Stepping down to a slightly faster powder - IMR4320 instead of IMR 4350 for example - will lower muzzle pressure without too much velocity loss, and might give better accuracy.

All that said - if the accuracy with the slower powders is good, I'd certainly stick with them.  Don't fix it if it isn't broken.  ;)

Offline ardeekay

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:37:04 AM »
Thanks guys, I will go with the 'don't fix it' plan, try my proven loads of the other rifle, they are not 'hot' loads in that one, so should be safe, but they shoot very good in the longer bbl. I am not looking for a target quality load, just a good hunting round thats consistant.  I tried Federal factory 'fusions' ( 130gr) and they were pretty accurate in the other rifle, maybe in the new one..I hope.. But if a handload outshoots the factory load, thats what I will go with... that is usually the case with all my rifles,  thanks again.. Bob

Offline ardeekay

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 06:45:11 AM »
I got a chance to shoot it today, and you's are right.. my old standby loads shot well... I also had a few Federal Fusion 130's laying around, and they did the best of the day, well under an inch for 3..  they outshot my handloads but not by much.  I had hope for some 140 Hornady boat tails, but they didn't work out well, will try my best 3 next time and look for consistancy.  ( the Fusions and 2 others..)  I forgot how well these carbines feel when shooting....Bob