Author Topic: Measuring slug from slugged rifle barrel  (Read 275 times)

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Measuring slug from slugged rifle barrel
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »
I just finished slugging the barrel on my .303Brit.  It has an odd number of lands/grooves, so just opposite my land I have a groove.  How can I accurately measure this slug.  Apologies if this has been addressed before but I didn't see it.  Also on the same subject, I also just slugged my 7.62x54R. I got .3135, what bullet would be best suited for that?  Thanks JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Measuring slug from slugged rifle barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »
It is a "V" shaped contraption that gives one a measure then allows you to make a conversion. I cannot remember the name of it though.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Measuring slug from slugged rifle barrel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, Tim I loved that link, I had no idea you could google books.  I got lucky today, talked to a guy after church today about this situation.  He said he had a friend who did tooling for a bearing company and he'd run it by him.  He called me while ago and said if I'd get the slug to him, he would take it and use a tri-mike (not sure of the spelling) on it.  He says its basically a micrometer that gauges from 3 points instead of two.  He said that it would only be accurate to the ten-thousandths, if I needed more accuracy he'd have to use the computer/laser scanner...  ::)  I said I'd just settle for the ten-thousandths.  I took the slug to him this afternoon, he said he'd call me tomorrow afternoon, can't beat that for service.  I think I'll try that method in the book link that Tim sent when I get my slug back, just in case his tri-mike is off  ;)
Thanks again, JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."