Author Topic: Outa The Box 1849 Colt  (Read 1167 times)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Outa The Box 1849 Colt
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
How Cabela's Uberti 1849 Colt Pocket handles right outa the box.   
I would not have wanted to shoot it right out of the box because I found.......

The Loading Lever and Ram connection had a couple of burrs that caused it to hang occasionally on the downward thrust, and one of its screws was loose.  A little buffing cured that.   
Breaking down the gun for cleaning the grease and new shavings out of it, I found the trigger guard screws loose.  Only 2 of the 5 cylinder nipples were tight.  The left side of the hands neck had been filed and was ruff.  A few brushes with fine grit sandpaper took care of that.  The Frames Hammer Slot had a nice burr on one side facing the Cylinder.  I did a little extra buffing to smooth up the action and put it back together. 

No big problems, but what I found could have made the gun inoperable on the Fireing Range.         Now she's ready to go shootin. :D

Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Re: Outa The Box 1849 Colt
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:47:44 AM »
Too bad the Uberti factory guys don't take more care...they better watch it or they will lose their reputation.
Sure LOOKS good though. Did I tell you I'm jealous???

Now, I want to know how it shoots!
And since I'm experimenting with round balls .31 in a Nagant revolver...I'd like to know the penetration w/ moderate or heavy (safe!) loads on pine 1 x 4's or 2 x 4's or in dry or wet phone books!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:22:01 AM »
Too bad the Uberti factory guys don't take more care...they better watch it or they will lose their reputation.
Sure LOOKS good though. Did I tell you I'm jealous???

Now, I want to know how it shoots!
And since I'm experimenting with round balls .31 in a Nagant revolver...I'd like to know the penetration w/ moderate or heavy (safe!) loads on pine 1 x 4's or 2 x 4's or in dry or wet phone books!

As for shooting, although it's recommended for 10gr. of BP, my flask spout dumps 12gr., so that's what I'll go with.  Using the .320"dia cast ball, with a wad between BP and ball.   Got some scrap 2x4 pieces that'l work for the penetration test.   I'll get on that task after Christmas holidays.

I don't blame you for being jealous, everytime madcratebuilder showed off his Baby Drag's, I could hardly sit still myself.

Actually I wanted the Cimarron version of Uberti so I could rate it, but all the dealers, (especially Buffalo Arms , which charges less than Cabela's.), that handles them were sold out.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:07:39 AM »
FourBee - that's a nice looking pocket model and I'm sure you are going to have LOTS of fun with it - yeah, I'm jealous as well!  I'm glad you were able to get one and look forward to hearing what  you think of it after you've put some rounds through it.

I went to Cabelas last summer when I was in Michigan to get one.  It, as well, was an Uberti.  The store only had one in stock and when I handled it and looked it over, it was pretty nice UNTIL I cocked it and tried the loading lever.  The action felt like it had ball beaqrings mixed in with it and the loading lever hung up as well - all due to burrs I'm sure.  I have built and worked on muzzleloading rifles for years and have no problems with adjusting locks, etc. but I feel like a duck out of water when it comes to "pistol smithing".  Therefor, I backed off on buying it and got a Pietta '58 Remy Navy instead.  The quality of that pistol was fantastic - perfect timing, perfect finish, nice trigger pull, etc.  The only complaint I had on it was the fit of the grips but from what I hear, that can be a problem with Piettas and I can easily fix that.  I love the Navy!  My point is . . . I couldn't believe the difference in quality between the pocket model and the Navy from the two different manufacturers.  Maybe the one I looked at just didn't get the quality check it should have.  I, as well, would hope that Uberti would pay more attention to the "burr" problem.  Ignoring my one experience though, you have a great pistol and you have the ability to "tune it up".  I just need to sit at the bench and take my pistols apart and get more familiar with them - and hopefully not have any "spare parts" left over.  ;-)  Lots of great tips and help on this board though so I just need to make the time to do it.  Good luck with the pocket model and let us know how she shoots!  Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 06:35:46 AM »
I have seen very few Italian revolvers ready to shoot out of the box.  I consider them kit guns, some assembly required.  Just about all the Colt replicas I see have a short arbor.  If you address that issue you don't have wedge issues down the road.  The Colt pocket frames are about my favorite shooter right now., both the .31'a and .36's are fun and economical.  The .31's well take 0 buck shot.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 09:40:07 AM »
Years ago, when EMF carried fine repro's of nearly every Cap and Ball Colt at modest prices, I had a 31 like Fourbee's, only the barrel was slightly longer.  I was going to suggest it, but Madcratebuilder beat me to it.  These 31 cal guns work just nicely with 0 Buck shot.  When I had mine, you could get a 5 pound bag of it from Dixie Gun Works (if I remember right, it was Remington shot, in a cloth bag).  Lots of shots per bag, all soft lead and round with no sprue to worry about.  I haven't looked at a Dixie catalog in years, but I'll bet that 0 buck is available from some shot distributor, through outfits like Ballistics Products International (BPI).  Lots of revolver shots to a bag of 0 buck--even more if you buy a 25 lb bag of it.  Think of all of the casting time you'll save.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
Finally the weather cooperated and I was able to get in a little practice today with a short window of
40 degrees and melting snow.
The gun being so small had me a little on edge.   After feeding 2 full cylinders of 5 rounds each, I began to settle down somewhat and enjoy this powerful little piece.  Loading went smooth with the self contained ramrod.  The .320" ball didn't shave much lead when seating over wad and 12 gn of Goex 3Fg.  I prefer seeing a ring of lead above the chamber after the ball is seated.  The chambers had plenty of room left after being loaded too.

Once loaded it was time to cap the nipples.  Not enough space to use a capper, nor could I set them with my fingers.   The #10's have a long cup and would not load.  I think the #11's will work however.
  Next time out I'll take the #11's.   So how did I cap this small revolver?  Carefully with the hammer at
half cock I could slip the caps on in front of the hammer.  I was surprised that it shot so high ( 7" ) at close range.  

Target was set at 7 yards.   1st two cylinders of 5 shots were aimed at the Bulls Eye.  3rd cylinder was
aimed at the bottom white ring.  4th cylinder I used both hands aiming at the bottom of the black ring.  Nearly every cap bucked off its nipple when fired and hung in the hammer cavity usually causing cycling dificulty.  

For the penetration test I used a piece of  2x4" treated pine.  The ball kept its form as it sunk 13/16ths  of an inch into the wood and moving downwards just a bit at the end of its path.

ps:  I look hefty caues I've got on a wool sweater and another shirt under this canvas shirt.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:41 AM »
If you grind down the 'fingers' on your capping tool well you have enough room.  That's what i did, I use that tool with pocket frames and Remingtons.  I need a baby with a loading lever, I get tried of pulling mine apart.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »
Hey mcb:  I'll check that out on the capper.  That would be much better than my big ole fumbling fingers.   The Loading Lever is really neat.  Works like a charm.  That just adds to the fun of shooting it.  After cleaning the gun, (and it waaasss dirty), and cycling through the action, this thing is running smooth as a singer sewing machine.