Author Topic: 45 Long Colt Load  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Dogshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
45 Long Colt Load
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »
I have a relatively new Smith and Wesson model 25 and thought I might want to use it for Mule Deer this year. My question is, are the loads listed in the loading manuals specifiying loads for "Ruger and TC only" too hot for my Smith? Mine has a non-fluted cylinder and is a limited "Rocky Mountain Ram" edition with a 5 inch barrel. I don't plan on running a regular diet of these loads thru it but don't want to blow up my gun on the first round either. I planned to use  Barnes 225 grain XPB bullets and about 18.0 grains of AA No. 9 powder. That's the minimum charge listed for this bullet in Barnes' Nunber Four manual. Any thoughts or recommendations you guys might have would be 'preciated.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Re: 45 Long Colt Load
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:26:45 PM »
Ruger-level loads are too hot for the M25 Smiths IMO - I shot mine pretty loose using loads between the SAA and Ruger levels.    The load mentioned is the minimum load listed by Accurate Arms with that bullet.  The max charge is 20.0 grains of AA-9 for over 28,000 psi - which is too much for the M25.   I do not know the pressure of the 18-grain load, but it is probably still over 22,000 psi, too much IMO.   Note that all other bullet loads for the .45 Colt/Ruger do not exceed 21,000 psi; apparently Accurate thinks that 28,000+ psi is a bit on the high side for Rugers.

You will not blow up the revolver with 18 grains, but it is quite abusive.  'Occasional use' is up to you.  Me, I prefer the Hornady 250 XTP and 11 grains of AA-5 or 14 grains of BlueDot in the M25.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
I have a relatively new Smith and Wesson model 25 and thought I might want to use it for Mule Deer this year. My question is, are the loads listed in the loading manuals specifiying loads for "Ruger and TC only" too hot for my Smith? Mine has a non-fluted cylinder and is a limited "Rocky Mountain Ram" edition with a 5 inch barrel. I don't plan on running a regular diet of these loads thru it but don't want to blow up my gun on the first round either. I planned to use  Barnes 225 grain XPB bullets and about 18.0 grains of AA No. 9 powder. That's the minimum charge listed for this bullet in Barnes' Nunber Four manual. Any thoughts or recommendations you guys might have would be 'preciated.
I'm not a .45 Colt 'eggspurt' but Paco Kelly has written some interesting articles about "+P" and "+P+" .45C loads available from Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon.  According to his experience,  you'd be okay using the load/s you're considering for bagging a deer.

Mulie?  or Whitetail?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
I have a relatively new Smith and Wesson model 25 and thought I might want to use it for Mule Deer this year. My question is, are the loads listed in the loading manuals specifiying loads for "Ruger and TC only" too hot for my Smith? Mine has a non-fluted cylinder and is a limited "Rocky Mountain Ram" edition with a 5 inch barrel. I don't plan on running a regular diet of these loads thru it but don't want to blow up my gun on the first round either. I planned to use  Barnes 225 grain XPB bullets and about 18.0 grains of AA No. 9 powder. That's the minimum charge listed for this bullet in Barnes' Number Four manual. Any thoughts or recommendations you guys might have would be 'appreciated.
I'm not a .45 Colt 'eggspurt' but Paco Kelly has written some interesting articles about "+P" and "+P+" .45C loads available from Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon.  According to his experience,  you'd be okay using the load/s you're considering for bagging a deer.

Mulie?  or Whitetail?

I agree the T/C or Ruger level loads have no place in a Smith and Wesson's cylinder!  Read up on Paco's site, John Taffin has some good stuff as well. I do not like to quote loads but If I where in your shoes I would look hard at either Unique or IMR 4227 and the aforementioned 250XTPHP bullet.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »
I shoot a ton of 45 colt ammo in both an older S&W mod 25-5 as well as a Taurus Tracker and feel that both will handle the starting Ruger level loads , HOWEVER , neither of these guns were designed to shoot a steady diet of this heavyweight ammo and I do not recommend doing so .

My gut tells me that it would soon shake loose kinda like shooting a stead diet of factory proofing loads , not something that I want to do to my guns .

As for a bullet for Mule Deer , you may also want to look at some of the 300g G/Ced cast bullets , they have a nice wide nose that will leave a good wound channel and will break bone very well if needed .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
With the grand old 45 ya really don't need a lot of speed for taking down a deer.  There is a good selection of bullets, cast and jacketed that will work fine for deer with loads under Ruger level.  CW was right about John Taffin and Paco Kelly having done alot of work-ups on the 45 Colt.  Cruise around on the net and you will get more load info than you can try in 10 years. Good hunting.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »
 Back in the late 80's and early 90's, right near the end of organised silhouette around here. It was widely known to steer clear of the Smith 29's for competition. I didn't listen and bought a beautiful 10" 29 with silhouette front sites. One summer shot it so loose it wasn't safe to function. Now I never even shot a hole lot of matches and never went above "book" loads. They just would not hold up to the rigors of silhouette. That was with the 44Mag. No blowups caused by the gun and I do not mean to suggest its not a good firearm. It is a good firearm, but IMHO, its just not up to "hot rodding" on any level in any caliber.

I also have a M25. Mine is in ACP and I shoot mostly A.R. thru it, its a lead bullet using the 255 SWC long colt bullet. NOT loaded up at all, I'm getting maybe 675-700fps. Its been providing much enjoyment for the past ten years with no issues.

Another good bullet for you is SPEER 250 Gold Dot HP. Cavernous hollow point and reliable expansion @ colt velocities.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jimster

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
I know Mule deer are tougher and weigh more than the Whitetails here, but I can tell you a good cast bullet 250/255 gr going 900 fps will bust both shoulders of these deer,  and if you use a Keith style bullet it will cut it's way through.  You'd be surprised what the 45 Colt will penetrate at moderate speeds with some bullets.  MY opinion is,  if it's deer at reasonable ranges and you hit where you want to,  it will do the job at 900 fps.   Some might say Mule deer are too big and you need more than that,  you might be right I have never shot a Mule deer with a .45 Colt,  but it goes through a Whitetail for sure.  I don't care about expansion myself, and there is a case to be made for jacketed bullets going faster,  but a .45 hole and a busted shoulder is pretty good too.
If it were my Smith, I'd take it easy.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:30:19 AM »
personaly i think the 18 grain of aa9 load would be fine in your smith with a bullet that light. Problem is aa9 is kind of a finiky powder and at low pressures it doesnt burn that well. If you really want to try it id recomend nothing but cci 350 primers. My favorite load for the 25 smiths is a 250-260 grain cast swc with 9 grains of herco. that load shoots well in about any 45 colt. If you need more then that id consider trying 2400 or 4227 instead of aa9 both of them especially 2400 do better at low pressures. the smiths arent as week as people make them out to be. What really beats them up isnt so much pressure but heavy bullets. A steady diet of 300 grain bullets at over a 1000 fps will beat one up in short time. they dont usually blow up they just shoot loose. go to John Linebaughs web sight. He has an article on loading for the 25s on it and he has forgot more then most including myself know.
blue lives matter