Author Topic: I need a little help from one of you optics Experts  (Read 653 times)

Offline skamaniac

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
I need a little help from one of you optics Experts
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
How about a little help from one of you mathematicians? The scope is a 2-7x33mm (2.5-6.6 actual) Leupold Ultimate Slam Muzzle Loader scope with their Sabot Ballistic Reticle which is similar to a wide duplex but with a circle and fine crosshairs in the center. These dimensions of the holdover dot spacings are all in inches and not MOA and at the highest magnification. The first holdover point is the bottom of the circle which is down 4.2", the second holdover dot is down 12.5" and the third is down 26.6". Can someone convert these to reflect the amount of holdover at the LOWEST magnification 2x (2.5x actual)? Again, 4.1", 12.5 and 26.6 is at the highest magnification which is 7x (6.6x actual).

Offline pozoutdoors

• Avid Poster
Re: I need a little help from one of you optics Experts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
Divide the lowest power into the highest power and multiply that to the inchs of drop you want. Such as 7 divided by 2=3.5 then multiply 3.5X4.1"=14.35". None of those hold over crosshairs are exact. You need to shoot it at different ranges to see where they really hit!! Good luck!! And fun shooting!!!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
Consult your owners manual or call Leupold.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:30:37 AM »
I think your worring without cause. If the deer is 1oo yrds. or less you should be able to use the center cross hairs. If it is farther you`ll have time to set your scope to max. power and use the dots as intended. I would sugest that you get a good range finder and make sure of the point of impact of the different dots. My muzzle loader, a T/C 209 x 50, wears a 2X leupold and I just hold over. The last deer I took with it was at 289 yrds., Lazered. Before everone gets excited the deer had already been wonded or I would not have shot, but it was a perfict shot and the deer only went about 10 yrds. before it fell.

Offline skamaniac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
The reason i'm asking is because if i know these dimensions i can figure out whether or not this will work for me on my crossbow.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »
The only way you will be able to tell where the arrows will hit is to mount it on your crossbow and do some shooting. It will be useable with a range finder, but you may end up with yardage markes at 27 1/2 yrds. and 34 yrds. That really won`t matter though if you rember what each is.

Offline Stock02

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »
The only way you will be able to tell where the arrows will hit is to mount it on your crossbow and do some shooting.

Precisely.