Author Topic: pardner stock refinishing now with pics  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
pardner stock refinishing now with pics
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
my 20 gauge pardner stocks dont match, color wise, because of some swapping i did.
so, i sanded off the factory stuff and i want to restain.
 i'll take suggestions for the finish, tru-oil or whatever, but i want the color to be green.
i was thinking of using clothing dye and a clear poly, but im not real sure what im doing...
help, suggestions on getting a green color ?

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: pardner stock refinishing
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
I've used Fiebing's leather dye to stain a couple of stocks and it worked just fine.  Been a long time since I've bought any, don't know if they make green or not.

I used Tru-oil for the finish.  I don't know how that would affect the green color.

You might be better off just to paint it green instead of trying to stain it.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:09 PM »
Well, i found what i was looking for.  so, for anyone else  looking to stain thier stock some nice colors, here is a link to mixwax water based color stains.
http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_stains/water_based_wood_stain.html#Colors

click the tab for colors, i like the forest green or the early spring , as a base color

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:30:58 AM »
question, as far at top finishes go, would i better off with tru-oil or watco ? or is there even any real difference between the two, or is there something better yet  ???

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:59:42 AM »
You could mix oil based stain with boiled linseed oil and do scrub coats with 000 steel wool. Scrubbing the oil in with the steel wool will make a very smooth finish and you can add as many coats as you want to get the desired look.

Try this:
Boiled linseed oil in a clear container
add oil based stain until you get the right shade
thin with mineral spirits (BLO will spread easier)
start scrubbing with 0000 steel wool.

Sounds like alot of work but it really isn't and the finish is beautiful.

Spanky

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »
i did a 10/22 stock with green Rit dye & rubbing alcohol, finished it with polyurethane spray. It hides in brush well. I don't have a picture handy, but it turned out nice, I get questions about where the stock come from.

Offline Roper1952

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »
General Finishes has a water based stain/dye in green. I've used their black with good results. Topcoat can be whatever you want, matte finish should look nice.

Rockler and other woodworking retailers carry General

http://www.generalfinishes.com/finishes/water-base-finishes/waterbase_finishes.htm
"...a backbone is better than a wishbone..." Paul Thorn

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:57:45 AM »
I've had good luck with Tru-Oil.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »
update..
 i used the minwax water based wood stain. used forest green,, brushed it on and wiped it in, leveling it with a paper towel. two coats to get the color and uniformity i wanted. then sanded that smooth ( it raised some hairs ) with 220 grit.  then i used minwax, poly urthane ( poly shades ) honey oak color. one coat of that, dried over nite, then i used 0000 steel wool to get that level and ready for the next coat.
the second coat is drying now. it has the honey color over the green, sorta a green apple look to it.. its different but neat looking.
when the 2nd coat dries, i"ll see whats what, if i want a glossy finish or not, and if it needs a 3rd coat or what..

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »
i like tru-oil...sand and de-whisker the stock,cut the finish 50% with #1 mineral spirits...apply finish to 4" area with fingers,sand wetfinish in circular motion till you make slurry,wipe off slurry across the grain with a rag,dry 1 day,sand the stock smooth and do another coat.i do 10-12 coats like that then do 1 coat straight finish.....pretty nice oil finish

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:38 PM »
The last one I refinished I just painted O.D. till I could get around to doing something nicer. I think that was about 4 years ago now.

Scibaer-Post a pic of your project if you get a chance.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
yeah i will definately post a pic or two ... the 2nd coats is dry to the touch but not solid yet. i can see some brush strokes but i cant really feel them.
i have  a can of poly-acrylic, i think is harder then the poly eurthane. i may spray on a coat of the acrylic just for the durablility on a shotgun stock.
 the green seems brighter now, with the second coat of honey oak over it, but the grain shows nicely now too. so i may just leave the brush strokes as is.
 i'm now thinking of using dura-coat or aluma-hyde on the barrel/action.. maybe a dark gray or matte gray park.. green and gray might look sweet together on the gun ..

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:07:23 AM »
That's the beauty of the Tru Oil, is you put it on with your finger and lightly coat the stock, and there are no runs, or drips, or brush stroke trails to contend with, and it dries fast.

If you've never tried it, you really can't go wrong with the Tru Oil finish.

Pictures please, and I'm sure it turned out well!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »
when i do the next stock, i will use the tru-oil for the top coat.
i reassembled the gun today with the green stocks as they were, no 3rd coat. they look descent as they are, and i didnt want to go too far and mess them up. for now i'm going to leave the reciever and barrel stock, with no dura-coats. ( dont fix what aint broke, and dont break it, fixing it... )
there are some brush strokes showing  but its not to bad for my first ever gun stock refinishing ..
pics to come, when i find the camera

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
Re: pardner stock refinishing now with pics
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
ok, here is the result of my efforts. i know they are not great, but its my first effort, really..

next time, i will do a few things differently, but i think these are atleast better then the factory finish.
opinions welcomed.

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
That's how my RIT dye 10/22 turned out! Maybe not quite as bright green. I like it.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
yeah it is a bit brighter then i would have liked it, but in person its not to bad looking, and has a honey color in it.
 if i refinish another stock, i'll try the RIT dye, has to as good and cheaper then the minwax stuff.
iam already thinking a deep blue stock and for end would look nice.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:12 PM »
I like it! I bought a can of green stain to do the same thing a couple of years ago and never got around to it. Now I gotta buy another can and give it a shot. thanks for sharing.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »
Looking good!   Green is my favorite color.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 02:41:18 AM »
you know, it was not nearly as tough as i thought it was going to be. sanding off the factory finish was actually fairly easy.
thanks for the positive comments. i have always wanted a green stock too, and  i finally got around to doing the work. it was fun, and cost less then $20 not counting my time