Author Topic: Preliminary loads for the Dom Pop Can Mortar  (Read 555 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Preliminary loads for the Dom Pop Can Mortar
« on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
I have  had three shooting session with the Dom Dictator now and have come up with some baseline loads that I am going to work a bit with.

The first session was with cement cans, the next two with round ball.   The first two sessions used Cannon grade the last with Fg.

The loads in the first session were more to make smoke and fire than learn anything, although it was found that 250 grains of Cannon grade sent the cement cans about 100 yards.

The second session with round ball confirmed the 250 grains of Cannon grade was a good baseline load for for 100 yards.  I need to fine tune that load.

The third session started with 250 grains of FG and round ball.  When fired the ball went way beyond 200 yards.  When the load was cut back 170 grainsthat  became the baseline.

So, for the cannon shoot I am going to build loads of 150 grains FG for 100 yard baseline for round ball.  Then work with 10 grain increments to find 100 yards. 

After I get that established.  I'll work the cement cans and see what I can come up with.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Preliminary loads for the Dom Pop Can Mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »
Are those volume or weighed charges ?   ???
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:27:04 AM »
I weigh a charge then place it in the brass black powder measure and adjust the powder measure to hold that much powder.  Almost like using a smokeless powder measures.

After setting the measure I verify the powder measure is throwing the correct weight.  I use the same method to throw charges with my regular powder measure.  That measure is sensitive to how much powder is in the hopper.  I throw charges onto my powder scale pan and the trickle the charge up to weight, just like when I make loads for my regular smokeless power cartridges.

4th of July when I had to cut loads.  I removed powder from the large charge by using the powder measure.  In my case I had 250 grain loads. I set the powder measure for 80 grains and removed that much powder. When I got home I weighed the powder removed by the measure and weighed the remaining powder on the scale and verified the 170 grains.  I was kind of surprise of the three loads I check all three came right out at 80 grains and 170 grains.

Offline Double D

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »
One other Item I have added to the Mortar set up is a platform. The Mortar seems to shot much more consistantly with the platform. 

If you look in the back ground you will notice Southpaw has built a platform for his bowling ball mortar and it has improve how his gun shoots also.