Author Topic: Some lite reading.......  (Read 363 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Some lite reading.......
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
Wow, Super!  The very first one debunks the Mythbusters splinter theory right of the bat, considering it as part of Naval engagement.  Even tells the best way to make splinters.  Cool bring em on!!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:59:46 PM »
     Thanks Allen.  Those are very interesting to us and we can vouch for that #4 book by Holley.  We have both volumes, I and II and, if you like reading about big, pre 1898 cannon effects on a variety of armored targets, then you won't be disappointed in those.  Both volumes are available as inexpensive, desktop-published, soft covers, rather than rare, expensive, originals.

Very nice, Allen, thanks,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:30:50 AM »
Allen,

The third URL down, "A Treatise on Coast-defense" by Victor Ernst Karl Rudolf von Scheliha (Whew!) gave me a description of the American Civil War that I've never heard before: "The Late North American War." Thanks for posting this.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.