Author Topic: Another Revolver Dilemma  (Read 1295 times)

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Revolver Dilemma
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
Since early last summer I've had my heart set on one of those Uberti .31 caliber 1849 Pocket Revolvers.   By the time I put my order in for one in September, they were all gone. "None In Country".  :o

Here it is the middle of November and although a list has recently been received by the dealers on expected shipments, they don't have this particular one listed.  :'(

However; they do have plenty "1849 Wells Fargo" models in stock.  These are similar to the Pocket model except for the lack of a 'Loading Lever', and an oval Cylinder Stop Notch where the Pocket model has a square Cylinder Stop Notch, which I prefer. :-\

I'm reluctantly rethinking of going ahead and getting the "Wells Fargo".  But not !!   SO, guess I'll continue the wait for when-ever.  :(
4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Another Revolver Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
shoooot boy!  I been waiting for an 1861 Navy since JUNE!   :o
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline FourBee

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »
This is my brother's fault.  He was rummaging around back in the early spring and dug out an old .31 cal BP that he believes he bought new back in the 70's, and never shot it.  Asked me if I wanted it, and I over-reacted with excitement.  So after a few months of gettin antsy and tellin him all the stuff I'd learned about them, he decided he'd keep it.  :P   Now he's happy and I feel naked, you know, like when I came back from war and had to leave my M-16 behind. :'(

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054186216414a.shtml
Click on 'add to cart', they say it's in stock.....
I want one too, just can't afford right now.
I was in a gun shop a couple of days ago and they had one, converted to .32acp. Looked good too, $200.
I'd rather have the BP one.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:30:28 AM »
Thanks a bunch rio grande:
I was doubtful, but after I checked out the site as you did I decided to give them a call to make sure.

I've just finished placing my order with Cabela's via phone.  I was so excited that they had one in stock, I placed the order w/o confirming it to be a Uberti.  I didn't think they sold Uberti's, boy was I wrong.  So, I called back and they confirmed it is a Uberti and not the Palmetto which has a longer barrel.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:44:34 AM »
COOL!   ;D

Now you can walk around and not feel nekkid!  Still miss my M16 though...  :-\

Actually, now that I think about it, I miss my Thompson even more!   ;D

That 1849 is a really neat pistol.  I've been looking at pictures of it since you posted this.  But heck!  I still haven't shot the 1860 Army I got because I was tired of waiting for the 1861 Navy!   ::)

So many guns, so little time...   :-[
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »
  Posted by: AtlLaw   Actually, now that I think about it, I miss my Thompson even more!

AtlLaw you must've been army.  That's the only guys I saw with'em.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 01:21:03 PM »
Correct on the Army.

I had all kinds of stuff over there.  A Schmeiser (sp), MP38 was it? was my prize the first year.  The second I had an M1D, the Thompson and a Grease Gun as well as assorted carbines and Ak's.  We usually traded the AK's to the AF and Navy for things like cammo fatigues, food, ... luxury stuff like that...  ::)

As I remember that revolver is .31 cal.  Are you going to use cast balls or buckshot?  I should think a bag of single 0 buckshot would save a lot of work.   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
I'm glad you got it.  You never know about if they really have it, sellers in general I mean, so it's good you called them.
If it uses a .320 ball I aldo think O buckshot would be great to use, and cheap. I just ordered some .311 balls for a projest and paid $17 for 500 w/ $5 shipping, so it is cheap to shoot them.
If you cast, just think how many you could make w/ a little lead. And I've heard folks lubing them w/ Lee liquid Alox.
Best wishes.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
I already have a few hundred rounds of .321 dia cast balls on hand.  :)
That .320dia #0 Buck ought do the trick too,  ;D    and for a whole lot less ( Midway ~ 5 pounds (720 #0's) for $24), or a lifetime supply for the cost of 700 .31 cal swagged balls.    8)

COOL!

I'm glad you got it.

Thanks AtlLaw and rio, I feel much better already.  

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
I hope you'll enjoy it, they do look like fun little plinkers. Although the Army and Navy revolvers get the most attention today, the little .31's were Colt's biggest sellers back when.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 01:51:58 PM »
The Colt "pocket revolver" can cover many different styles.  The Baby Dragoon in .31 without the loading lever.  Later models came with the loading lever.  These revolvers can be found with both the Dragoon trigger guard and the normal round guard.  Later models using a stepped frame and rebated cylinder increased size to .36 and sold as the 1862 Navy pocket and the 1862 Police Pocket.  A very small number of Police pocket style revolvers came without the loading lever, called the "Trapper".  It came with a Brass loading tool referred to as a "mushroom".  The pocket revolvers were the bread and butter for Colt, over 325,000 sold.

Colt Baby Dragoon

Colt Trapper with the mushroom.

Uberti Wells Fargo.  Wells Fargo is a modern name given by collectors.

Colt 62 Police Pocket.

I think a 62 police with the barrel cut to 2.5 inches and the grip shaved would be a super hide out gun.  When I finish my current holster frame snubbie project I want to do a pocket snubbie.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:53:28 AM »
Oh Boy! It finally arrived, all wet and oily like a new born baby.  It checks out A-OK too.   It sure is a tiny thing.  Now to clean it up and see how it's gonna shoot........ ;D

Here it is compared to the 1860 .44

and Holstered...........

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
That's a pretty one for sure.  I need to get a .31 with a loading lever, the two I have are lever challenged.  I would really like an original but the ones I bid on end up out of my price range.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
That's a pretty one for sure.

Yep; I kinda got mixed feelings about shootin it, but then, that's why I got it....
It ain't hardly a handful.