Author Topic: WWII - The big Red One - Blue Spaders  (Read 1049 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
WWII - The big Red One - Blue Spaders
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:20:28 AM »
Just wanted to share  -
Had a great weekend this week. My mom was cleaning out her basement and came across a box. Called me to drive down to her house to see if I wanted any of the  old items she found. Inside was My grandfathers Big red 1 Patch , His Bronze star , Purple Heart, campaign ribbons, Dog tags , and an old photo album of he and his buddies (and he wrote their names on all the photo's). as they fought through WW11.

He was attached to 1st division, 26th infantry regiment,  1st Battallion , (don't know company yet)
They were known as the Blue Spaders.

They were part of the first amphibious assault on N. Africa, Fought Rommel through the Kasserine pass in 1941 -1942, then fought their way through Sicily facing Herman Goering Tank Division till 1942-43.  After Sicily in 1943. They returned to England and were part of the first day,  d-day assault on Omaha beach in 1944. They fought their way through France,  The battle of the Bulge,  and Ramagan , the 26th was the first infantry regiment to enter Germany.

What a great find. I will put this all away in a safe place for my sisters son when he is older.

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Siskiyou

Re: WWII - The big Red One - Blue Spaders
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »
A generation that stepped up and did the job need to save the country.  A man to be proud of.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
Re: WWII - The big Red One - Blue Spaders
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:07:50 AM »
The blue spaders left Germany about 18 months ago when we reflaged and are now in FT Reilly KS, a good place to start looking would be the Reilly website.