Author Topic: Noname .31 pistol reline  (Read 557 times)

Offline Tryit 1

• Trade Count: (0)
Noname .31 pistol reline
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »
All on the forum. I picked up a .31 revolver that only has Italian proof on it. It was only $35 at a pawn shop, in like new condition. It shoots very poorly. Apon  investigation I found that the bore is .321 and the cylinder is .316. I just got some scraps and left overs from a friend that passed away. He was a part time gunsmith. In the scraps is a .32 barrel piece that is 13 inches long and in like new condition. The bore slugged out at .312. So I am in the process of making a small ream for the barrel and plan to reline barrel with part of this scrap barrel section. I know, I know I can get one for $ 300 that will only require a little cylinder reaming but rather sit in front of the TV and wait for the grim reaper I am going to require him to get into the barn and get me. With luck I just might get a couple of .457 slugs Ruger slugs into him. If that happens we will all live for ever. Anyway I will keep everyone updated as I go along. I also acquired one of those cameras that the back does not open and the pictures come out of a little card in the side. How neat. I will try and get some photos and post them. Tryit 1.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Noname .31 pistol reline
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Sounds like a good project! I just love to take things that nobody else can make work and get them going properly. Keep us posted.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:32 AM »
Chambers under bore size is a pretty common condition among the replica revolvers. It might be easier to ream the chambers to .321" but of course then where do you find balls of .322-.325". If your reline project goes well you could then add a conversion cylinder for .32 S&W. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Tryit 1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »
Coyotejoe, the cylinder walls are very thin and if I ream them they will be on the extreme side of thin. I ream most  of the cylinders on replica revolvers that I get. I slug the bore and cylinder and try to get about 0.004 to 0.008 oversize. I also lap the barrel for 0.002 to 0.004 larger at the breech end and tapering to orginal bore size about 75% up the length of the barrel. I find that this produces the finest accruacy and gives a small boost to the speed of the bullet. I have relined a number of .22 rifle barrels and 2 .32 rifle barrels. The .32 was in a rimfire caliber in a Stevens 44 1/2 action that was so dark that I could not make out any rifling. It shoots great now and the owner my daughter shoots and reloads. She has put in for me to ream the other rifle chamber for the new .327 that Ruger has brought out. The reline is rebated into the barrel and will with stand the pressure but I have so many projects now that I cannot see straight. Tryit.