Author Topic: Sizing for .44Mag-  (Read 1517 times)

Offline JRiddle

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Sizing for .44Mag-
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
I'm just getting into casting, and have what may be a dumb question, but...I'm wanting to cast some .44 mag with mold diameter of .430, then I figured I'd be sizing down to .429.  But while browsing to order my sizer I see they have .429 and .430 sizers.  How do I know which I need?  The bullet is the Lee tumble lube 240gr. SWC and I intend to shoot the majority in my 14" Contender. JR
"Give me Liberty...or I'll get up, and get it myself."

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Sizing for .44Mag-Mod.please move to cast bullet discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:33:31 AM »
Slugging the barrel will tell you what size bullet you'll need (carefully drive a sofe lead egg sinker or pure lead ball through your lightly lubed barrel and measure with mics.).  Size the bullet .001" to .002" over bore size for best accuracy and least leading. A lot of shooters don't size the Lee T/L bullets, just lube and load, I do.

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm

Offline JRiddle

• Avid Poster
Re: Sizing for .44Mag-
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the info mdi, I will slug it for a point of reference, and hopefully not have to size. JR

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
Depending on when that Contender was made, you not only won't have to size but will need to figure out how to get your bullets to be big enough. Most will take a .433 - .434 bullet, and not many moulds out there that will throw them that big. If you run into this case, and can find a 265gr. Ranch Dog mould, you'll be a happy camper.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline JRiddle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »
Thanks for that info, I guess I need to get to slugging that bore and find out.  The barrel is early/mid 80's vintage.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:21:39 AM »
most of my 44s prefer 430 or 431 bullets
blue lives matter

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:34:50 AM »
My Contender barrel does just fine with .430 sized cast bullets including the Lee TL430-240-SWC.  You will probably find that your Lee mould will cast bullets larger than .430.  With a WW + 2% tin alloy my Lee mould drops them at .432-.433". 

Larry Gibson

Offline JRiddle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
All my bullets so far have been dropping right on .432" from the TL430-240-SWC.  I slugged the barrel this morning it's dead on .429".  So I know I should size them down to .430", but how big of a deal do you think it would be to size down to .429"?  Just curious since I have a .429 sizer.  Thanks JR

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »
I have heard this .429 vs .430 vs.431 for years and have shot groups with both .429 and .430 that were great and some not so great.
When the rubber meets the road if anyone under FIELD CONDITIONS can shoot well enough to tell the difference I want to see them shoot.
I have seen some good shooters off the bench and offhand but when one is speaking offhand or offhand with a less than dead steady rest you would have to border on the phenominal to be able to tell the difference.
I will pay my way to your place to watch anyone shoot offhand or offhand with a less than dead steady rest such as holding your arms over a fence rail. holding your hand against a tree, kneeling, etc.  5 consecutive 6 shot groups with each sized .429 and .430 and if you can show me the difference I'll be convinced.  Provided if you can't you will reimburse me my expenses such as gas money,  hotel room (if needed)  and food.
I am open minded.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
I have heard this .429 vs .430 vs.431 for years and have shot groups with both .429 and .430 that were great and some not so great.
When the rubber meets the road if anyone under FIELD CONDITIONS can shoot well enough to tell the difference I want to see them shoot.
I have seen some good shooters off the bench and offhand but when one is speaking offhand or offhand with a less than dead steady rest you would have to border on the phenominal to be able to tell the difference.
I will pay my way to your place to watch anyone shoot offhand or offhand with a less than dead steady rest such as holding your arms over a fence rail. holding your hand against a tree, kneeling, etc.  5 consecutive 6 shot groups with each sized .429 and .430 and if you can show me the difference I'll be convinced.  Provided if you can't you will reimburse me my expenses such as gas money,  hotel room (if needed)  and food.
I am open minded.

I too have to agree that under normal shooting conditions you will never see a diffrence between the .429 and the .430 , if you have a 429 sizer use it if you want or do like I do and just shoot - as cast - and it works for me .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »
Try a couple as cast and see if they are a slip fit in you fired cases (you may have to slightly bell them if the crimp isn't straightened out.  If they are a slip fit I would try them "as cast" with some LLA.  If they don't then size .429 and don't look back. However, just a reminder to remember that velocities are always much higher in Contender Barrels with equal loads than in revolver barrels. I find accuracy with that bullet right and 1050 fps in both my Contender barrel and both my 6 and 6 1/2" barreled revolvers - different loads though.

Larry Gibson

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
order  both

then you will  know

one shipping charge

i  think  the 430  will  serve  you better

don't slug  the barrel...SLUG THE CHAMBER MOUTH
drop  429  and  430  jacketed slugs through  the chambers

fire  lap  that gunn  too
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40:07 PM »
Meplat is right, you'll never know the difference, .429 or 430.  The Lee tumble lube bullets are designed to be shot unsized so why do it.
H08

Offline JRiddle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
Thanks for all the good input, I'll size some at .429" and then try some unsized, and see what the she likes.  JR

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »
what  size  are  the chamber  mouths??

will  429  just  fall  through   if  so    go with  430
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.