Author Topic: reaming the mag to max  (Read 371 times)

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
reaming the mag to max
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »
I am going to get the reamer in a couple of weeks. I am pretty clear on how to ream it. I do have one question tho. I am not set up to reload as of right now. I am going to buy some factory loads from Reed's Ammunition. I was looking at the .158 gr sp and the 180 gr XTP. Would anyone recommend I try one over the other?

snakeman

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: reaming the mag to max
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »

Snakeman, I say do it. Reload is easy with 357 Mag  dies. Dies I use were made before the maxie
 came out. I started out with all size of 357 bullets, and mostly H-110 powder, I have since  went
 toAA 1680 powder  take care Marv.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
Mine really prefers the 180s.  AA1680 works well but I prefer IMR 4227.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:04:34 AM »
I prefer the 180 grain bullets. I think they are a nice compromise between velocity and weight in the Max. If you push pistol bullets too fast, they will blow up on contact. I loaded up some 125 grain bullets for varmints, but I can only push them about 2300 fps or the accuracy goes out the window. Very low pressure, but shoot well. Beyond 2300 fps and the ol' Max starts spraying them. I suspect that they are getting distorted hitting the lands. Many prefer bullets designed for the 35 Remington to make sure they hold together well when they make contact with a deer sized target. Of course if you are not shooting deer at close range (beyond 75 yards or so), the velocity will drop off enough to make pistol bullets very effective. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.