Author Topic: Christmas in July  (Read 425 times)

Offline robbob

• Trade Count: (0)
Christmas in July
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
Today is like Christmas in July!  I've been reading the board for a while now and always wanted a cannon.  I thought I would start small, so I ordered a Brooks firecracker cannon last month.  Well, before it even arrived I couldn't contain myself so I also ordered a Brooks 24 Pounder.   I had a lot of fun on July 4th wit the firecracker cannon, but today the big gun arrived. ;D ;D ;D ;D

While I was waiting I put together a carriage based on the designs of others on the board (Rick - this means yours).  It was just a trial run with the hand tools available at the time.  I didn't want to have to wait to build something - I wanted to be able to shoot it as soon as I got the box open. ;D  Now that I have the actual barrel in hand I will do a better job and make something a little more fitting for such a stately barrel!  Brooks also make some machined trunnion caps for me, but they didn't come yet.

I have been reading about safe loads etc and started with 100 grains of ffg with a half of a hotdog bun :)  Boy that was loud, but I had to go a little higher.  A few grains makes a difference.  I stopped at 130 grains with the same half of a hotdog bun....I've been saving a rather stale bag of them for just this purpose.   :) 

I have to say that JB and Michael are great people to deal with and they do a fantastic job!  Great craftsmanship!

Here are some pictures
Rob

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Christmas in July
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
Looks good Robbob, only thing it looks like it need now is a coat of paint on the carriage and quoin.

What caliber is your gun?

Offline robbob

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »
DD, It's got a 1" bore.  I haven't made a quoin yet.  I'll probably build a whole new carriage soon, complete with quoin.  The trunnions stick out a little from the cheeks, so it will need to be a bit wider and I think it would look better if it was a not quite as tall.  I used 1x6 oak.    I was thinking that 5/4 walnut would look nice, but that would be coated with spar varnish.  I'm not sure about that though, the burning fuse leaves some burn marks on the carriage, so paint may be a better choice.  The wheels are from  casters I found at a local surplus store.  I think they need sandblasted, they have a bit of rust on them.  Should I paint them also? 

Rob

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »
If those wheels are iron or steel; you might consider browning them.  That would give it a real antique look.

Offline robbob

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
If those wheels are iron or steel; you might consider browning them.  That would give it a real antique look.

How do I do that?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
I used Spar Varnish on mine. I don't have any burn marks on the wood to date, so it must help some.

Rob, I'm sending you another email in a minute.

Rick