Author Topic: What is a good after - market barrel for the Glock?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
What is a good after - market barrel for the Glock?
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:17:13 AM »
Does anyone shoot  cast  boolits in their Glock?

If so, what barrels (besides Glock barrels) are safe?  (no kabooms!)  and shoot well?

THANKS!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: What is a good after - market barrel for the Glock?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
Couger

Cast bullets will work in a Glock barrel.  Since they are polygonal rifled, you want to simulate a FMJ bullet.  That means a hard cast bullet that is sized about .001 / .002 over bore.  People run into problems when they use soft, or undersized bullet that strip on the rifling, and can leave severe leading, raising pressures when hot jacket bullets are then used.  I have fired thousands of lead bullets thru my models 19 and 26.

Lone Wolf is a manufacturer that is known for their cut rifled barrels for Glocks.  Their barrels offer a fully supported chamber that some find desirable when loading on the hot side, though a buddy of mine has put many rounds thru his Glock 10mm factory barrel that were max loads, without issue.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline nicholst55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
No experience with Lone Wolf barrels, but arguably THE BEST handgun barrels are made by Irv Stone at Bar-Sto Precision Machine.  His Glock barrels offer fully supported chambers and cut rifling.

http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=GLOCK

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto!"  Dorothy, in 'The Wizard of Oz.'

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
+1 on BarSto barrels.

<http://www.barsto.com/>

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:36 AM »
I may end up being a convert, I was one of the, don’t shoot cast in factory Glock Barrels.
I have read hundreds of pages on both side of the issue.

Some time back a you-tube video had a clip of a guy shooting lead in a 10MM Glock. He started out with the factory barrel, with minimal leading. He then changed too a Lone Wolf barrel. Accuracy went south fast.

I own a Glock 22 in 40S&W first generation. I ordered a Lee 175 Gr mold 401-175 -TC and plan on settling this for my self.

I will size and lube the bullets on my Lyman 450 and lube with BAC special blend I will load all with W-231.

I have cast and shot lead bullets for many years, but am relatively new to the Glock

I have slugged the barrel and bullets will be .001 over barrel diameter, I plan on hand casting 100 bullets of Lyno-type and 100 of Lyman No. 2.

At 25 round increments I will check the barrel up to the 100 of that alloy.

I will then clean the Barrel and start over with the second alloy..
I will post my results.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:52 AM »
Hornady

Let us know how you make out.  My experience is with the 9mm, and I would be curious how you make out in .40 cal.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:13 AM »
No problem. I choose the Lee mold it being cheap. I just put the order in yesterday so I should have it by Monday and then a couple days to get everything set up.
From what I have read the 1St Generation Glock 40 is the biggest culprit in the debate.
From what I have read, the early Glocks also have a habit of firing out of battery, which also may contribute to the Glock Ka-boom stories.
I use the Redding G- RX die on all my cases, and I would be a little nervous about using a TL bullet.
I will also use the L.E. Wilson Max Cartridge Gage on all of these rounds.
I will try to be as objective as possible; I am open to suggestions or ideas to make this test reliable. 

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:37 AM »
Setting here thinking about this test, I may as well set the chrony up and check velocities in the 25 to 100 round strings.
I think 100 rounds of each alloy, should give me a good idea as to the leading, if the test goes that far.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »
THANKS  EVERYONE  FOR  YOUR  INPUT  AND  COMMENTS!!

I have heard of Bar-Sto barrels and will take a another [closer] look at them!!!

And casting HG boolits, in a handgun are wheelweights usually [plenty] hard enough?  Of course going with boolits one or two thousandths larger than the bore.

Cheers!   8)