Author Topic: .303 british hunting stories  (Read 1423 times)

Offline jordisonkevin

• Trade Count: (0)
.303 british hunting stories
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
I have used my .303 british on a lot of deer and coyotes. I have since moved to a tikka M55 in .243 but still find the old .303 a fun gun to shoot. just wanted to here some stories about hunting different animals with the .303 british.

Offline Mohawk

Re: .303 british hunting stories
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
  My old roommate from years ago went hunting with a .303 British. WW II surplus rifle. He passed on shooting a couple deer and the one he had in his sights stepped into the brush just before he could get the shot off. Good thing for him, because he noticed that night that a wasp (Dirt Dobber) had mud nest in the barrel and it had, of course, dried. If he would have fired it would have been disaterous. In the future he didn't store guns in the storage building any longer.  ::)

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »
I'm in Canada and my first rifle was a 303-my dad gave it to me when I was 13-shot my first deer with it and many more after.Ammunition was cheap and readily available[still is-$18 in wallmart]-plus military ammuntion for target practice.It might not be fancy but the 303 british has probably killed more moose,deer and bear in Canada than everything else combined.

Good deals[$250] can still be found,especially in the Parker Hale conversions,and you'll still find a lot of $75 iron sighted ''truck guns'' behind the front seat of pickups,and as long as you hold them straight they'll kill game.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
One of my buddies still hunts with a chopped down SMLE in .303. Still works as well as it ever did.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
If I had one in good condition, and was fond of it, then I would hunt with it.  Otherwise, I'd purchase something else.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
I picked up an "OK" sporter at an auction last year. Cleaned it up and hope to use it this fall.  The round is proven, I hope the rifle shoots.
I think ballistically it is near perfect for N Amer deer.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
I have an old hunting buddy that has used one on deer for 20 years or better. Every year he get's 3 or 4 deer. Every year the exact same thing happens. The bullet is on the far side of the chest cavity just under the skin. It is amazing because it is the same whether a 120 lb doe or 185 lb buck. He has only shot one that the bullet went all the way through and it was retrieved on  a dirt bank just a few feet away. For the range and terrain he hunts I don't believe he could find anything that would be better suited. Most of his deer are hit so hard they fall, then get up and run 20-30 yards if at all. A lot of magnum hunters can't always say that. I know I can't say that with a .308.  :)

Offline spruce

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:14:05 AM »
Have a "cut down" No.4 Mk1 with Williams FP and red firesight front.  Mostly use it as my foul weather gun.

Not pretty, but it shoots.  Likes Rem. 180gr RNCL's.  Longest shot was a doe at about 85-90 yds, thru both lungs, ran about 35 yds and fell dead.  Of the half-dozen I've shot with it that was the farthest any ran after after lung or shoulder hits, most either went straight down or stumbled a few yards.

All so far have been thru and thru with a good sized exit and much blood.

It's one of those rifles I wouldn't even consider selling or trading, even if offered twice what it's worth!