Author Topic: 45-120 Pop Open...  (Read 1120 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
45-120 Pop Open...
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
I finally got to the range yesterday with my 45-120 barrel on it's new (to me) TC receiver.  I'd mounted the stock and the barrel locked up tight, not bank vault tight, but no play tight.  I even primed a hull and fired it as sort of a function test.  The primer fired, nice pin strike in the center of the primer.

Unfortunately I didn't check the engagement of the thingamajig and the whatchamacallit!   :-[

To make a long story short, when I shot it, using the same load as the one I reported on last time, I was still rocking back from the recoil when the brass went flying past my face!   :o  I was so shocked I immediately loaded another round and fired again!  Yup, It did happen...  I wasn't imagining it... ::)

Only then did it dawn on my feeble mind that I hadn't checked to see how well the engagement points on the barrel and receiver were mating up.  The barrel shelf showed a little bright spot on the very corner.  With the other receiver it had indicated even contact along the width of the shelf.

So it's back to the FAQ's for me.   :(  I may start working on it now, or maybe I'll just put the barrel back on my other receiver for deer season, I don't know...  :-\  But to say I'm unhappy is an understatement...  :'(

I guess I'll tell Bri (CWLongshot) that I'm not going to send him the recoil pad to grind down until I decide what I'm going to do... <sniff>
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
Re: 45-120 Pop Open...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
I had my H and R trapdoor 45-70 replica do the same thing. I never trusted it again even after having fixed. traded off.
don.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »
Makes for a speedy reload on multiple targets..................... ;D ;D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
That sounds scary.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Sorry to read that Richard, but proper latch engagement is real important to check and why 2006 and later frames have the view port.  ;) It's scary, but no real threat unless it's an ejector which makes the spent case a threat, by the time it pops open, the bullet is long gone and there's no pressure in the barrel. You can work on the latch shelf, but then it won't fit the original frame as good, may still work, just depends on how much you have to remove, most likely if you have to remove a lot of material, it will be loose on the other frame which isn't the end of the world, the shelf can be shimmed too.   ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
Hmmmmmm.  I knew the 45-120 was gonna be dangerous on both ends, but now it's 3 ways?  Careful Richard, ya don't wanna be like Pete and have to learn how to shoot from the other side.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »
I finally got to the range yesterday with my 45-120 barrel on it's new (to me) TC receiver.  I'd mounted the stock and the barrel locked up tight, not bank vault tight, but no play tight.  I even primed a hull and fired it as sort of a function test.  The primer fired, nice pin strike in the center of the primer.

Unfortunately I didn't check the engagement of the thingamajig and the whatchamacallit!   :-[

To make a long story short, when I shot it, using the same load as the one I reported on last time, I was still rocking back from the recoil when the brass went flying past my face!   :o  I was so shocked I immediately loaded another round and fired again!  Yup, It did happen...  I wasn't imagining it... ::)

Only then did it dawn on my feeble mind that I hadn't checked to see how well the engagement points on the barrel and receiver were mating up.  The barrel shelf showed a little bright spot on the very corner.  With the other receiver it had indicated even contact along the width of the shelf.

So it's back to the FAQ's for me.   :(  I may start working on it now, or maybe I'll just put the barrel back on my other receiver for deer season, I don't know...  :-\  But to say I'm unhappy is an understatement...  :'(

I guess I'll tell Bri (CWLongshot) that I'm not going to send him the recoil pad to grind down until I decide what I'm going to do... <sniff>
You've got to expect things like that to happen, when you build a gun with no super glue or duct tape! ;D

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
Ahahahaha, 3 ways that is hilarious!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
 ::)  You guys really crack you own self's up dontcha...  ;)

I'm gonna sit back and think about this for a while.   :-\  The barrel will be dedicated to the TC receiver so whether or not it fits another one shouldn't be a concern.  But deer season is getting closer and I don't have much time to spend on anything other then getting loads developed.

As I said I could just put the barrel back on the old receiver for this season but I hate going backwards...  :-[  And I still haven't decided what to do with that 38-55 barrel...  :-\  Not to mention I still have to shorten the stock on my 7x57 Ultra and shim my friend's .308 Ultra...  :(  So much to do, so much to do...   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
Tim   How about sharing your procedure for putting a shim on the shelf latch.  I don't remember seeing that in the FAQ. Cudda missed it.

Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
It's on the barrel fitting page, been there for almost a year, where else!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
 ::) ::) Thank you sir. I finally found it. Gotta go find some super weld now. Appreciate your help.
                                       Jim

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 05:12:42 PM »
Perhaps if Atlaw would use some real shim stock instead of fabricating his from freshly empty circular shim stock the projects would proceed at a faster pace ::) ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 05:15:51 PM »
Multible barrels on one action is not the most kosher way to go.
We argued about the benefit before but nobody will ever convince me. These guns are cheap enough to have one for each caliber.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
Good to hear from you Fred!   ;D  Haven't seen you around in a while.  I think you're absolutely right!  Heck there's a receiver in the classifieds right now for $75 - $80!  I've thought about getting it just because... well, just because  :P
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:30:47 AM »
Atllaw,being upset with a Handi rifle is common sometime's and the only thing that will fix it is to jump on a Harley and take a trip on it.I'm leaving for N.M. Aug 21 ,so be at my place that morning early.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Great idea!   :o   I've got a (land) lot in N.M. I've been wanting to check on!   ;D  The possibility of resident hunting and all that!   ;)  But alass, you ARE a tad closer then I am and iron butt rides are a PAIN!!!  :D

Handi rifles remind me of beautiful wimmins!  They can be frustrating, but DARN are they fun to play with!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 07:26:15 AM »
Handi's and Harley's go togeather, they both like to ride in pickups. ::) :o
 Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
Glad you didn't post that over in the bikers who hunt & shoot forum!   ::)  Some a them boys would get downright fractious at a remark like that!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:42:42 AM »
I heard that Harleys and border collies both like to ride in Pickups, but the border collie will run when it gets out of the truck!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
  it's where you hit em "

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Rich,
 Sorry to read of your handi problems and your lack of time. But I gotta say, adjusting that shelf is a half hour this at most...

My offer stands, you get me that stock when ever and I'll fit the pad and return post haste. You wont even miss it!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
Perhaps if Atlaw would use some real shim stock instead of fabricating his from freshly empty circular shim stock...

Hesh yo mouf boy!   >:(  A man got to have sumpin to do for relaxin!  'course I been know to relax a mite to much on occasion...  :-\

I heard that Harleys ...

Geeeeze!   ::)   First lawyer jokes and now harley jokes... Y'all sure have a good time don't cha!?  ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »
My offer stands,

Hey Bri!
You're right and I appreciate your help!  You're a pal!   ;D  My hands aren't as steady as they once were and I didn't want to spend the money for a jig.   :(  So, I'll get the stock and pad in the mail to you this weekend. 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
Richard, I am terribly sorry if I offended you with my callous remarks about your esteemed two wheeled means of conveyance.Please feel free to respond with any revenge as you may deem necessary.
  it's where you hit em "

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »
Oh great!   ::)  Now you trying to sucker me into getting banned from GBO!   >:(

Fortunately I get out all my aggression every day in court...  :-\  But don't push it!  I ran out of my meds a few days ago!   :P

Ta heck widt all y'all!  I'm going to the man cave and load some bullets.... 8)  and maybe check out my lockup problem in more detail...  :-*
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit