Author Topic: "cartridge tubes" for C & B revolvers in .36 & .44  (Read 1119 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
"cartridge tubes" for C & B revolvers in .36 & .44
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
Does anybody know of a source for "cartridge tubes" in .36 & .44 - I'm refering to tubes that could contain a premeasured charge of powder for both .36 and .44 calibers that could be "capped off" with the ball?  (The tubes would be re-usable).  I both have and use plastic cartridge tubes for my .58 caliber muskets which are easy to have premeasured powder charges capped off by the minie ball - easy to carry a quantity of them when shooting both in a shooting box and a cartridge box on the belt - used them for NSSA years ago.  Now I'd like to find some for the C & B revolvers I have that I can both take when target shooting as well as carry in a cartridge box to eliminate having to use a flask, etc.  Thanks for any info or suggestions you might have!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
Re: "cartridge tubes" for C & B revolvers in .36 & .44
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
On THE OPEN RANGE, a contributor, MONGOOSE, said he used unsized .38 Special cases to hold a charge of BP for his .36 Cap & Ball revolvers.  He topped each case with the ball intended for that chamber by merely pressing it firmly on top of the case.  In use he suggested that one "might" remove the ball with ones teeth!

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=326.0

I tried it, less the teeth trick, and it works! I found that the ball can be removed by a firm pinch between the thumb and the second knuckle,  Hold the ball in the same pinch and pour the powder into the chamber and then the ball, as per normal drill.  I didn't find the process remarkably quick, but you can leave the loading bag behind!

I was worried about security of the loaded case.  At range practice, sit them upright in a .44 plastic cartridge box.  In the field, wrap a cylinder-full of loads in an aluminum foil wrapper. I placed five loads, head to tail in each package.

I also tried some .44 loads, using .44 Rem. Mag cases.  I spilt one on my loading bench during the preparation phase.  After that I REALLY pressed the ball down which made removal a bit too difficult.  A bit of practice is indicated.

I've only tried this once, but plan to continue.

Offline hawkeye2

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:26 AM »
     As an old skirmisher are you familiar with the "soft" plastic tubes (not the "hard" plastic tubes with the flat base and flange)?  They come in different sizes: .36 (white), .44 ( yellow), and .58 (red).  If you don't use a filler all you need is the correct size tube.  If you use a filler try the following:  For .36 put your charge of powder in a .44 tube, insert a .36 (white) tube into the .44 tube, add filler to the .36 tube and put a ball in the mouth (of the tube that is).  To load pull the yellow tube off & pour powder into the chamber, pop the ball out of the white tube & pour the filler in, then drop the ball on the mouth of the chamber.  For a .44 you use a yellow tube and a red tube.  These won't come apart and you can load up a whole year's supply if you like as they fit snug enough so that they can't absorb any moisture.  I like to put the tubes, after they have been cleaned, into a plastic bag with a little baby powder or corn starch ahd shake them up.  This keeps them from sticking together.  They are avaliable from the Winchester Suttler and they will last a lifetime.  Look for QuickCharge TARGET Tubes under Shooting Supplies.
                                                http://winchestersutler.com/

Offline bedbugbilly

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »
Thanks very much hawkeye2!  I'll look them up and order some.  I've never used the soft-tubes - probably showing my age!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
i think dixie gun works has the same things
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Bear Rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
As an alternative, you might try making your own combustible cartridges. I carry .44 cartridges for my Remington '58 in the field in packets of kitchen foil. Six cartridges make a flat, palm-sized packet that is surprisingly durable.
Flintlock! Anything else is imitation.

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »
I carry extra cylinders already loaded than loose powder wad and ball
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline gru