Author Topic: Reloads for self-defense, pt II (longish)  (Read 1086 times)

Offline sideironjohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloads for self-defense, pt II (longish)
« on: May 14, 2003, 09:22:19 PM »
Well, the other thread got locked, and seemed there was more to say yet.
I'm sure the mod's will delete this if necessary.
ANYWAY, what I'd like to add is that I think the comparison of civiies to cops is erroneous, and any decent lawyer can defend a client using reloads.
Here's why: First, the reasons an officer and a civilian gets into a shootout are totally different usually. Second, the "reasons" cops have to shoot what they shoot are completely different from the decision an individual might go through. What a police officer has in his/her handgun is dep't issued, and likely chosen on grounds of - what? - general shootability vs stopping power, i.e., every officer must be able to handle the recoil well enough to shoot it effectively. I don't know of any officer that gets to choose their own ammo, but if they could, I'll bet some would choose much softer rounds than 200gr +p .45's which is what I believe these guys here in the NW use. This is to say, the fact that "it's good enough for the police, it's good enough for me," has little weight.
Most self-defense sources I've read/heard recommend very simply to shoot whatever highest caliber/bullet/speed you can effectively manage, and then practice, practice, practice!
They also recommend practicing with "duty" ammo - shoot what you're going to have to shoot.
Put these two mandates together, and many will have (a) a bigger something (bullet/caliber/speed) than the local PD, and (b) a hard time paying for 4-800 rounds a month of over-the-counter ammo! It's just cheaper to roll your own.

Here's another one for you:
Say I shoot a "hot" 40 S&W. Does it not matter that there are much milder loads in 10mm that shoot the same bullet weight quite a bit faster?
I can comfortably load 230 gr .45's a wee hotter than factory, but still stay way under +P pressures.
In other words, once the judge/jury takes this stuff into consideration, it'll be hard to make some blanket assertion like "he reloads, therefore he likes to kill people." -Not to mention that it's very easy to chrono another cartridge specimin to see just how mad you really are about blowing holes in people. Who knows? Maybe your home-brew is even slower than factory.

Lastly, and most importantly, the self-defense purpose of making a hole in someone is singular: to stop the action. The way to do this is by either hitting the cerebro-spinal complex (aka "Lucky Shot") or cause a violent, massive, sudden drop in blood pressure, via a big, wide, long hole, hopefully through organ tissue. Of course you might get lucky and scare the will out of the perp with your little .32, which can also be done with a few karate moves once in a while, but I for one will not consider such minor options.
So, with this ugly fact established, it is very easy to justify the use of a fast, heavy, expanding bullet. The faster, heavier and expandier the better (to a point, of course - diminishing returns and all.)
So if the offense tries to claim you were "out to kill," simply ask how they are able to distinguish between an "effective" self-defense round and one made just "to-kill."
If it's true this whole "don't load your own" hysteria (oh, yes it is!) came from Maas, then let it be known he also makes the case for expanding bullets over non, as a possible way to prevent death, by virtue of the possibility of causing more blood-loss with one shot, not needing 5 holes of ball, to stop the aggression, thereby raising the chances of survival.

Now, after all that, let me say I think those 200gr Speer +P's are a pretty darn good defense round.
That's all I have to say about that!

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 02:25:33 AM »
sij,
I totaly agree with the old antage of "pratice with what your carry". While a justifiable shooting with reloads might not be damning in itself, it could
be used as a piece of the profile that a good attorney might use to paint a picture of a person that is highly motivated to shoot someone. As far fetched as it sounds, it can't be ruled out. In today's litigous society, it's most likely the civil action that will get you! A totaly justified and legal shooting can still be followed with civil action. Even if you win the civil suit, guess what? You still lose! The time and money spent in your defense will  bankrupt the average person! Let me propose an alternative: load your pratice loads with the same bullet and as close to the same velocity to your carry load as possible. Pratice with the reloads and carry the factory. You now have the best of both worlds and you have eliminated one of the liability concerns you might be faced with!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline JohnClif

Handloads for self-defense? No!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 12:29:29 PM »
Here's the problem I have with handloads for self-defense: no one can convince me that reloaded ammo is as reliable as quality factory-loaded new ammunition with all-new components.

The type of equipment that commercial reloaders use is a step above home/hobbyist reloaders.  It includes things like special machines for resizing the heads of cartridge cases (commercially-available reloading dies do not resize the case head because it is in the shell-holder, and there is some slight expansion here especially for hot loads or multiple firings.  But even commercially-reloaded ammo has problems.

The primary reason people reload for defensive-type handguns is affordability.  Buy a Dillon 550B, reload two or three cases of ammo, and the savings have just about paid for the press and equipment.  If you're into IPSC, IPDA, or just target-shooting and plinking a lot, reloading means that you'll shoot more for the same amount (no one saves money... they just buy more components!).

New defensive handgun ammunition isn't that expensive.  Buy a new box every 3 months (4x a year), shoot up the old stuff at that month's practice session, clean your gun and then reload with the new fodder.  Spending $60 a year (15 cents a day) on defensive ammo is cheap insurance that EVERYONE can afford.  

Let's see... 15 cents a day for reliable ammo that won't give anyone a reason to attack you civilly for an otherwise-legal shooting.  How much of a bargain will those reloads be if you do get nailed in a civil lawsuit, or you get convicted because enough stupid jurors buy the "looking to shoot someone so you loaded up extra-destructive ammo" argument?  Or, you get killed because your reloads jam?

Sheesh!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 01:02:14 PM »
JohnClif, I disagree with you 100%. I have never in tens of thousands of reloads had a reload fail to fire. If you think all the factory reloads are made with dies not available to reloaders you are wrong. Cor-bon got there 500MAG dies from CH4 Tool and Die, I bought the exact dies Cor-bon bought to reload my 500MAG. As far a quality factory ammo. I have had several squib loads from factory loads. (No Powder.) When I reload I check each load for powder before I place a bullet to complete my loading. I inspect each case and use good quality powder. I trust my reloads more than any factory load.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Re: Handloads for self-defense? No!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »
Quote from: JohnClif

Let's see... 15 cents a day for reliable ammo that won't give anyone a reason to attack you civilly for an otherwise-legal shooting.  How much of a bargain will those reloads be if you do get nailed in a civil lawsuit, or you get convicted because enough stupid jurors buy the "looking to shoot someone so you loaded up extra-destructive ammo" argument?  Or, you get killed because your reloads jam?

Sheesh!

I don't know where this ever came about. But they could argue that you bought defense rounds to do the samething.  :roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 01:53:36 PM »
Me thinks John reads a lot.
 Don't believe everything you read John! :)  :shock:
Savage

Offline KN

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 03:58:09 PM »
I'll jump on this one a little bit. Personally I dont think you can reload a round that duplicates the quality of the premium defense loads out there. And yes I am a HUGE reloader. What I mean by that statement is that quality bullets for reloading defensive rounds are not that plentiful. About the only real good ones I know off hand are Gold Dots and maybe Golden Sabers. I've never seen any Hydrashocks, Starfires, Glasiers, or any of the othe dozen or so bullets for sale to the reloader.  I personaly load a cheaper HP bullet in the weight I will be shooting to about the same power level for practice and shoot a box of the "good" stuff every so often. I like the Hydrashock myself but thats just me. Do I think you are doing yourself a disservice by reloading your own defensive rounds? Not at all. If you are comfortable with the load you have chosen then by all means go for it. I have a few pistols around that carry nothing but reloads, but for my carry gun I'll let Federal load for it.  KN

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 01:03:17 AM »
KN, if what you think is accurate, then why do all the match shooters reload for accuracy? Why would they not shoot factory ammo? Have you ever heard of developing a load that is the most accurate in a particular gun? I reload and know my rounds are consistently the same. If you think that a factory round is better than reloads I have to disagree. A machine pumping out thousands of rounds an hour will never come close to a reload I make.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Reloads for self defense
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 03:50:31 AM »
JohnClif:  I'm with Redhawk on this one and could not disagree with you more.  I too read a lot, and I have not yet read of a situation in which a prosecuting attorney was able to make a case against the use of handloaded ammunition.  

However, I have been on a number of ranges where I have heard the uninformed and unaware mumble about the 'potential' for legal liabilities of using handloaded ammunition in a defensive situation but in those instances I consider the source...............  

In conjunction with the first question asked on today's forum, I feel the best load for defense in a 38 snubnose is a handload.  This is not one of those 'cop loads' with the ever expanding and overly explosive bullet that creates a non-healing wound, it's a plain old cast semiwadcutter.  I load them personally, I carry them in my defensive guns and I shoot them regularly.  I firmly do not believe this constitutes a liability for the gun owner.  In my 40 years of shooting, hunting, reloading and defensive carry, the issue of using handloaded ammunition in a defensive shooting has never presented itself and in this regard I fully agree with Massad Ayoob who relates similar experiences.  I will continue to advocate for carrying those loads which would be the most effective in a defensive shooting situation.  If those are handloads, that is what I will advocate for.  Mikey.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Reloads for self defense
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 03:54:08 AM »
JohnClif:  I'm with Redhawk on this one and could not disagree with you more.  I too read a lot, and I have not yet read of a situation in which a prosecuting attorney was able to make a case against the use of handloaded ammunition.  

However, I have been on a number of ranges where I have heard the uninformed and unaware mumble about the 'potential' for legal liabilities of using handloaded ammunition in a defensive situation but in those instances I consider the source...............  

In conjunction with the first question asked on today's forum, I feel the best load for defense in a 38 snubnose is a handload.  This is not one of those 'cop loads' with the ever expanding and overly explosive bullet that creates a non-healing wound, it's a plain old cast semiwadcutter.  I load them personally, I carry them in my defensive guns and I shoot them regularly.  I firmly do not believe this constitutes a liability for the gun owner.  In my 40 years of shooting, hunting, reloading and defensive carry, the issue of using handloaded ammunition in a defensive shooting has never presented itself and in this regard I fully agree with Massad Ayoob who relates similar experiences.  I will continue to advocate for carrying those loads which would be the most effective in a defensive shooting situation.  If those are handloads, that is what I will advocate for.  Mikey.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
Reloads for self defense
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 03:58:17 AM »

Offline KN

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 12:37:50 PM »
Redhawk1,
I never said that a reloader couldn't load a more accurate load than factory.You are right, quite the opposite is true. What I said is that components for reloading a "defensive round" are not very plentiful for the reloader. If I thought I couldn't reload more accurate rounds than I could get from factory, then I would sell all my equipment and buy a new car. All I was trying to say is it's pretty hard to duplicate a round as good "defensivly" than a Hydrashock etc. This is just my insight on the subject for me personally. Any one who would feel more comfortable with their own defensive loads has no argument from me.  KN

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 04:04:16 AM »
KN, I now see what you are saying. It would be nice to get a better selection of defence bullets.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Paul Sumner

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »
I know that this issue has been beat to death, but I have to give my 2 cents too.  I should first explain where I am coming from.  I am a lawyer having practiced for over 26 years both as a Deputy District Attorney and as a Criminal Defense Attorney.  In my general practice, I have also represented both Plaintiffs and Defendants.  I also am an NRA certified instructor in several disciplines including practical pistol,  personal protection and metallic cartridge reloading.  In connection with this, I have given concealed handgun license classes for about 10 years.  As part of my training, I have attended classes in this and other states and currently hold licenses for my state and one other.  I, also, have previously been court appointed as a firearms "expert."

"SO WHAT?"  you could fairly ask.  I am not bragging, I am just trying to explain that I have studied this issue somewhat.  

From this study, I can tell you that a great percentage of the "firearms experts" who make it a practice to testify in court believe that a person who uses reloads puts himself in a bad (although unjustified) light.  They side with the posters who warn against the use of reloads.  I cannot, however, say that the anti-hand-load people are right.  I haven't seen any case where the court directed an inference from the use of reloaded ammunition.  I further do not think that the "cowboy with hot shot reloads" characterization is any more persuasive than the "careless gun owner who uses inferior store-bought ammo" or the "blood thirsty gun owner who pays premium price for killer ammunition" characterizations.  A good opposing attorney will fault the use of either handloads or store bought, depending on which one was involved in a shooting.

For myself, I carry my own handloads capped with premium bullets.  I am comfortable that I can justify this choice of ammunition.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2004, 10:43:47 PM »
One *very important* thing to consider in a self-defense cartridge is that most self-defense shootings occur in the dark, or under low light conditions.  There is a wide variance in the amount of muzzle flash among popular self-defense loads.

Some of what we are told and "think" are the ideal self-defense cartridges will actually blind you so bad that you won't know what to do next.  There is a definite advantage in being able to hand load low muzzle flash loads.  My knowledge is primarily with the .45 ACP, so I can't offer any advice for other cartridges, but with the .45 ACP, it is easy to load a cartridge that has very minimal flash, but will give you a velocity of almost 900fps with an excellent, expanding bullet.

The use of hand loaded ammunition in a justifiable self-defense shooting certainly will not land you in jail.  In fact, your training, and the care you've taken in advance, can show a jury or DA that you're not a reckless, trigger happy idiot.  Just don't be one of those guys with a sticker on the window that says anything like "Insured by Smith & Wesson," or "Anyone Found Here Tonight, Will be Found Here in the Morning."

And remember this always:  The first thing a victim wants to do is to "tell their story."  Don't!  Don't say a single thing to the police -- not a word.  The police ARE NOT your friends. They are there to investigate. You don't have to say anything or answer any questions at all without a lawyer present - no matter what the police might tell you.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2004, 03:19:48 AM »
I've been reloading since 1975. I work very hard to get each of my firearms to shoot the best group that can be had. I can, with patience and time, manufacture a round for each of them that will out group factory loads. 99% of the time my hand rolled are well below factory power wise. But... they hit exactly where I want them and I've never had misfires or jambs with developed loads. Just last season a hunting pard had a Norma 6.5x55 factory misfire! (primer was well hit) I shoot 4 or 5 boxes a month to stay in tune with my carry choices. If I bought factory premium ammo that would get expensive. Would I rather have a maxium performance round or a round tailored for my handgun, one that is (so far) 100% reliable and shoots very good? No brainer there. Granted that almost all defense situtions are very close range, but I will always favor my loads. Who here has not shot shot factory loads that jambed, misfired or shot crappy groups? One exception is my Para 12/45, it likes Golden Saber 185+P better than any round I can come up with.
R

Offline Cameron

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 06:37:51 PM »
Carry factory made new rounds for defense,practice with you carry ammo to know how it feels and shootsnsefense,plink and practice with reloads, but do not carry them for defense if at all possible due to legal defense and liability issues as well as reliability

Offline Savage

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2004, 04:29:17 AM »
Carry whatever ammo you like. If you are involved in a shooting, the ammo you used will be the least of your worries.
Savage

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2004, 12:48:39 PM »
On savage's note we are locked again! it has run its course i feel do what you will