Author Topic: 28 Gauge pardner...decent pheasant gun?  (Read 867 times)

Offline guvnor

• Trade Count: (0)
28 Gauge pardner...decent pheasant gun?
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:22:08 AM »
I need a budget priced gun to buy for hunting preserve pheasants.  Im thinking of ordering a 28 gauge pardner. 

I already have the pardner in 410, but im not confident enough to try it on pheasant. 

Would the modified choked 28 gauge make a decent pheasant gun for close-flushing preserve birds?  Id probably stoke it with the fiocchi golden pheasant shells which are 7/8 ounce nickel plated shot around 1300fps. 

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
Re: 28 Gauge pardner...decent pheasant gun?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
Hey guvnor, I have a 28ga. H&R modified choke, and for me it has been a very accurate shooting gun. I would not have a problem hunting for any small game birds with this dandy little gun. I think its great! scout4<><

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:21:56 AM »
I also have a Handi in 28ga with the mod choke.It patterns much tighter than I thought it would and is a great small game gun.From squirrels to pheasents it has done a good job on all of them.I would even use it for turkey  if an optimum shot presented itself.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:17:06 AM »
should be fine just dont expect any longer range shots  and id try to get a 6 shot  and nothing  smaller then 7.5 thats  one  draw back of the 28 is ammo selection if yu dont reload them , if you pop up to the 20 ga you would have a better  range of ammo

Offline guvnor

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »
Yea I had thought about the 20 gauge version but I am recoil sensitive due to a recent shoulder injury.  A 1 oz. field load in a 6 pound gun would probably put a hurtin' on me.  I think the 28 would be alot friendlier with its lighter shot charge of 3/4 to 7/8 oz. 

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
A good price on ammo for the 28 can be had at Able ammo.com .They have Rio ammo for 8.99 a box and you can get 1 oz loads in 28 ga.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
I think it would be a perfect choice for preserve birds but I would not use one for hunting wild birds. But I got a great old Monkey wards Hercules 16ga side by side that is my go to gun for the wild ones. Buy it and don't look back. If it don't work out well for you someone else here will take it off your hands in a minute.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
You will be just fine shooting those pheasants. I have used mine on wild birds and have killed them cleanly out to 30 yards. It is also the finest rabbit and squirrel gun.

snakeman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
 Altho I do not have one in a Handi.. I do have a couple 28's one in a pump and another in a SXS gun. This is one great gauge, one of my favorites!! Kills all out of proportion to its size. I remember reading that more people have shot there first perfect scores on the skeet field with a 28 than all other gauges combined... I tend to believe it!

I KNOW the 28 is up to this task, if you can shoot it well, it will suite you just fine. Not just for preserve birds either mind you!!  It maybe lacking for those late season, long shots and heavily featherd birds, but everything else, shoulder, point, lead and shoot and eat good that night...  ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.